Extremely Hot Climates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigweedo

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Was thinking in the future 6 months from now where temperatures in my area will reach 100 and above for weeks at a time.

What do you guys do to keep your temperatures down in this situation? I know a lot of you probably just turn the air conditioner on and not think twice, but I can't afford to run it all day. :holysheep:

Would running 18/6 with the 6 hours of darkness a day during the hottest hours work?

Not grow at all during this period? (Extremely hard for me! :icon_smile:)

If we could discuss I think it would help people gather ideas on what to do in very hot conditions!

Thanks!

Big:eek:

I do not grow during the summer. Electricity and increased insect activity have prevented me from even trying. A/C is really the only answer to effectively cool your grow space. I couldn't afford to keep my house cool and light going before even thinking of how to cool my grow space.

My solution is to run as hard as possible when I can. I expect to pull at least 4lbs of dry bud from 3 harvests before the end of May. I'm getting ready to chop the first this weekend and a new batch of clones is already ready to roll.

I know The Hemp Goddess lives where it gets really hot in the summer months. I remember she said once that she actually pulls air from beneath the house where it can be considerably cooler, and she tends to grow in a wind tunnel where the air is moving a good 15-20mph:rofl: seriously she says that she uses exaust fans that replace the air in her grow space several times a minute, and that helps to cool them down as well to allowable temps. :)

We have temps like those as well and I am not growing this coming summer. That is why i have ten in the flower room now. Last summer was just way to hot and I felt guilty turning on the Ac for the whole house to help the plants. I bought a room ac but it made it hot from running it so took it back. The plants didn't like hitting 88-90 all the time either...good luck, i hope someone has great ideas for you.

If you are really wanting to run over the summer without AC, there is another way that is a bit of a pain but it works. That is to dig a large and deep hole beneath your house or beneath a shed and place a 50 gallon water tank in it. then run water lines with a small pump to a radiator like you see online or a small automotive radiator would work. Run the water on a constant cycle so that the earth cools it and then your incoming air can pass through the radiator to be cooled before going into the grow space. Just an idea for ya. :)

Hushpuppy said:
I know The Hemp Goddess lives where it gets really hot in the summer months. I remember she said once that she actually pulls air from beneath the house where it can be considerably cooler, and she tends to grow in a wind tunnel where the air is moving a good 15-20mph:rofl: seriously she says that she uses exaust fans that replace the air in her grow space several times a minute, and that helps to cool them down as well to allowable temps. :)

Just because my fans blow my hair around does not make it a wind tunnel :rofl:.

The air in the crawl space rarely gets over 60 or under 35, regardless of the outside temps, which go over 100 regularly during the summer and below 0 in the winter. That is part of the reason that basements are so nice to grow in. When it is really hot, the light is cooled separately--air is pulled directly from the crawl space and exhausted outside.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Just because my fans blow my hair around does not make it a wind tunnel :rofl:.The air in the crawl space rarely gets over 60 or under 35, regardless of the outside temps, which go over 100 regularly during the summer and below 0 in the winter. That is part of the reason that basements are so nice to grow in. When it is really hot, the light is cooled separately--air is pulled directly from the crawl space and exhausted outside.
So long as it blows yer hair around that's not too bad. :) When you say it replaces the air several times a minute I just imagine Donald political name's toupee taking flight :shocked: :fly: :laugh:

Latest posts

Back