Facebook Deletes Medical Marijuana Pages

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnin1

Reaction score
From alternet.org

Facebook Deletes Medical Marijuana Pages

960-first-gun-trades-now-medical-marijuana-facebook-continues-to-ban-pages.jpg

The social media platform is raising hackles in the medical marijuana community with its sudden blockage of pages patients rely on for the latest info.

By Susan K. Livio / NJ.com

TRENTON -- Medical marijuana is legal in 23 states including New Jersey, but the ubiquitous social media giant Facebook apparently doesn't "like" it. Three home pages run by three Garden State dispensaries and at least handful of others across the country have been deleted.

The surprise move stunned dispensary owners and angered patients, who said Wednesday they rely on the up-to-the-minute information these sites provide about the latest strains that help alleviate debilitating symptoms.

"It seems high-handed to simply shut down important resources for sick patients without even saying why or giving organizations a way to ask for reconsideration," said Peter Rosenfeld, one of the 5,668 registered patients in the state program. "What better use of a social media than having sites where parents of sick children can ask questions about medication and treatments?"

The Facebook media relations office did not respond to an email request seeking comment.

Officials from Breakwater Wellness and Treatment Center in Cranbury and Compassionate Sciences Alternative Treatment Center in Bellmawr said their home pages were shut down Tuesday. When they tried to use their home page, they found an electronic message that said: "We remove any promotion or encouragement of drug use."

"Your page is currently not visible on Facebook. It looks like content on your page does not follow the Facebook Community Terms and Standards."

"The site does not allow ads that promote the sale or use of . . .illegal, prescription, or recreational drugs," according to the advertising policies' page.

Marijuana possession and production violates federal law, although the Obama administration has publicly announced that it would devote law enforcement resources to investigating lawful use permitted by state statutes.

Breakwater founder Alex Zaleski called Facebook's actions "a great disservice to our patients who rely on us to keep them updated on what is going on. We are looking into the matter and hope to resolve it in the patients' favor as soon as possible."

Although each of the five dispensaries in the state have their own web page, the Facebook presence is important because the state Health Department rules prohibit advertising, said Compassionate Sciences General Manager Michael Nelson.

Facebook is "incredibly important because the state limits what we can do on our website," Nelson said. "It allows us to post strain names which allows people to do research. It allows the communication between the patients about what is working."

The Facebook presence for Garden State Dispensary in Woodbridge is also missing, but a dispensary representative could not immediately be reached. But the pages for Greenleaf Compassion Center in Montclair and Compassionate Care Foundation in Egg Harbor Township remained active as of 3 p.m.

News about Facebook's actions made for passionate fodder on the Facebook home page of the Friends of the Medical Marijuana Coalition Wednesday.

"It makes me question whether any of us should continue to use FaceBook. Maybe it is time for people to migrate to new ways of communicating," Rosenfeld said.

It's unclear how many legal medical marijuana and recreational marijuana operations have been affected. Dispensaries in Maine and Washington have taken to Facebook's community forum in the last three months to complain about the unilateral decision to disconnect their social media presence.

"I am a dentist and I also own a legal marijuana business in Washington State run tasteful ads. Right now, my page has been deleted by facebook, but my competitor...is advertising tons of marijuana on facebook, with no problems from you. Why are you focusing on me, but no one else?"

"I expect an answer soon or at least let me know the next step or should I just start legal action? I feel you are not dealing with this in a fair manner."

http://www.alternet.org/drugs/facebook-deletes-medical-marijuana

i've had all my stuff deleted, money held, accounts frozen etc, and i just deal with vaporizers, and the marketing/suggested usage doesn't matter. they can just do what they want on their websites :/ all private.

..why you don't use that crap site
and that's why forums will always be better.

screw social media.. i'll admit it's great for marketing businesses (and being a nut-hugger) but that's about it.

Totally agree kaotik! Sometimes I think I am the only person not on Facebook--never have been, never will.

Facebook didn't just delete the NJ dispensaries pages. I am FB friends with a few people who have mmj on their pages. They were all deleted. I am friends with Ed Rosenthal and all his stuff is gone. Wow.

I have never been on Facebook as I like to keep a low profile.

It is a shame that they would deny legal medical marijuana users access to much needed information.

Facebook should be boycotted and users should delete their accounts and use other social media sites.

Even where medical marijuana is legal we still fight the stigma of this being a harmful drug.

Obama should grow a pair and remove Cannabis as a schedule 1 drug and end this persecution.

Each time Cannabis users are persecuted more activists are created.

When this stuff happens we just grow stronger and fight harder.

Its pretty simple. Obama calls up the head of the FDA ( which is an appointed position ) and says, 30 days I want a plan to reschedule cannabis or your resignation. Pretty simple!

Never been on Facebook. Not sure i want everybody and there mother knowing my business.

..why you don't use that crap site
and that's why forums will always be better.

screw social media.. i'll admit it's great for marketing businesses (and being a nut-hugger) but that's about it.
Forums aren't very good outlets for marketing. FB reaches 4 billion people every day, the forums don't reach even 1% of that. Since dispensaries can't advertise on TV and radio, FB is the best alternative.

Forums aren't very good outlets for marketing. FB reaches 4 billion people every day, the forums don't reach even 1% of that. Since dispensaries can't advertise on TV and radio, FB is the best alternative.

why i said that's all they're good for ;)
instagram seems to be leading and drawing more than facebook ATM though.
*i don't personally know, wont touch either.. not in this for business and not nut-hugging those who are ;) :D

:)

why i said that's all they're good for ;)
instagram seems to be leading and drawing more than facebook ATM though.
*i don't personally know, wont touch either.. not in this for business and not nut-hugging those who are ;) :D

:)
Was somebody wanting you to hug their nuts?

..probably
that's why they're on social media ;)
:D

Latest posts

Back