Fan leaves

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My humble suggestion, if youre worried about light penetration, rather than to trim leaves would be to a. Get a bigger light that provides more light deeper into your canopy , and or b. To train your plants and open the canopy up for better penetration.

cutting/removing healthy fan leaves is NEVER a "productive" or "beneficial" thing for your plant. As has been said, "THAT" is where the bulk of photosynthesis takes place. For those of you that obviously don't know or understand photosynthesis, here's a link...
hXXp://www.emc.maricopa.edu/faculty/farabee/BIOBK/BioBookPS.html

Chopping them off does "nothing" but inhibit your plants ability to grow, produce, breath, convert nutrients into energy. ect. ect.

P.S....
the "wannabe" has earned himself a 48 hr suspension for his name calling and childish insults. NOT for disagreeing, but for not being able to do it in a mature and civil manner.

wannabegrower said:
That's my point, and that is why your advise is wrong! I am sure he would rather get 3-5 zips than 1 per plant... I ve seen the untrimmed plants you guys grow and they are tiny little things with ONE little cola what a total of 24inches. They are a joke!! Plants should only be grown this way in a SEA OF GREEN set up! For a home grower with a 400w hps set up 4 topped and trimmed large plants with 4-6 colas each is MUCH Better and Much more product in the end. Wow you guys are a trip!

When you know more about what you say and aren't cutting people down, please take a view of my journals as well as several others here and please tell me how I am making mistakes....until then, please don't try to tell me I have no clue what I'm doing.

3-5 zips, aiming low, are we?

wannabegrower said:
That's my point, and that is why your advise is wrong! I am sure he would rather get 3-5 zips than 1 per plant... I ve seen the untrimmed plants you guys grow and they are tiny little things with ONE little cola what a total of 24inches. They are a joke!! Plants should only be grown this way in a SEA OF GREEN set up! For a home grower with a 400w hps set up 4 topped and trimmed large plants with 4-6 colas each is MUCH Better and Much more product in the end. Wow you guys are a trip!

Cutting FAN LEAVES has nothing to do with 4 or more colas, trimming leaves will NOT add bulk to your plant. Crater, more leaves means your plant works more and produces the goods your plant needs to produce the buds you desire...simple. Sure, you can remove leaves without killing the plant, but it isn't giving benefit as some might think!

bi0phreak420 said:
Not everybody can afford to go buy a 200 dollar grow light

You're attempting to grow $1500 and up plants and can't afford a $200 light? I bet that $200 is about the price of a decent bag?

I have been long confused about the removal of fan leaves. A friend removes almost all his fan leaves, starting when the first 2 weeks flowering stretch has stopped and ending by the 6th week of flowering. He swears by it and gets annoyed I don't.
We are running a side by side grow just now to try and settle the argument and mine are winning, just! I do a bit of pruning to the low popcorn buds so the plant channels its energy to the higher buds. The result is my top buds are bigger, his lower buds are bigger.
We will have to wait until harvest to see whose plants are more productive but there are so many other variables that it cannot be said to be definitive or scientific, he grows soil, I grow hydro. My room is now stable at 70 to 75 deg lights on with rh of 50%, his is take yer top off cos its fn hot in there!! Nutes, quality of water, air exchange and his 10 years experience compared to my 5 months.

Anyway, the point I started out to make before waffling on like a waffly thing is that 99% of the time it is what we are individually comfortable with, I dont like the idea of chopping off someones legs to try and make them run faster, my buddy does. Sure, facts can be quoted and thrown around from both sides of many arguments on the best way of growing but once a grower has something in his head, it takes a hell of a lot of convincing to change that opinion.
Long may the debates continue, otherwise we would all do the same stuff and wouldnt that be boring.
Stay frosty dudes.W

I was wondering when the fan leaf argument would come up this year.

Way i see it is why not just move the bud out the way of the fan leaf, No need to cut off a healthy fan leaf, Just tie the branches down in the right place if you want them to get light. As said above though if you just cut off the lower branches them it will concentrate its efforts at the top instead.

Whoa boys, lets calm down now...Boy, it seems I've opened up quite a can of worms here! I'm of course getting mixed messages here...Sensi and THG, what's your take on all this? I haven't heard from you yet!

woodydude said:
I have been long confused about the removal of fan leaves. A friend removes almost all his fan leaves, starting when the first 2 weeks flowering stretch has stopped and ending by the 6th week of flowering. He swears by it and gets annoyed I don't.
We are running a side by side grow just now to try and settle the argument and mine are winning, just! I do a bit of pruning to the low popcorn buds so the plant channels its energy to the higher buds. The result is my top buds are bigger, his lower buds are bigger.
We will have to wait until harvest to see whose plants are more productive but there are so many other variables that it cannot be said to be definitive or scientific, he grows soil, I grow hydro. My room is now stable at 70 to 75 deg lights on with rh of 50%, his is take yer top off cos its fn hot in there!! Nutes, quality of water, air exchange and his 10 years experience compared to my 5 months.

Anyway, the point I started out to make before waffling on like a waffly thing is that 99% of the time it is what we are individually comfortable with, I dont like the idea of chopping off someones legs to try and make them run faster, my buddy does. Sure, facts can be quoted and thrown around from both sides of many arguments on the best way of growing but once a grower has something in his head, it takes a hell of a lot of convincing to change that opinion.
Long may the debates continue, otherwise we would all do the same stuff and wouldnt that be boring.
Stay frosty dudes.W

Hear! Hear!

Gotta love a fan leaf thread, its not 12hrs old yet and about to go to pg 3 LOL.
why would i want to remove fan leaves and hurt my final yield, i do not, so i will not.

Jericho said:
Hick you should become a P.I.

Dude... I think that they thought those threads were "gone".. They both had deleted them. I don't ordinarily "un"delete members posts without their permission. But these two 'needed' to be exposed.
Either they were liars then or they are liars now....or both! :p
Either way, it doesn't set well with me when anyone comes in here cursing, belittling, and name calling our esteemed members and/or the forum.
Everyone has an opinion, anyne can have a difference in experiences. It's all about the ability to express it in a mature and civil manner.

Couldnt agree more Hick.
The way I see it, I log in here a few times a day hoping either I maylearn something new, in which case I am taking from the site and am grateful for it or, on the more rarer occasion, I may be able to help someone new and give a bit back.
Sometimes people dont want to do either, they have had a bad day, they aint married and dont own a dog so they log in for a bytch at someone. I've been online for about 15 years now and have seen them all. IMO their motivation is just all wrong and they are stuffed to the gills with bad karma.

Take a little, give a little smile & b happy,,,,,,,,,,, if you can do that with a big fat beefy packed with killer bud then boy you got it made :D
Stay frosty.W

woodydude said:
Couldnt agree more Hick.
The way I see it, I log in here a few times a day hoping either I maylearn something new, in which case I am taking from the site and am grateful for it or, on the more rarer occasion, I may be able to help someone new and give a bit back.
Sometimes people dont want to do either, they have had a bad day, they aint married and dont own a dog so they log in for a bytch at someone. I've been online for about 15 years now and have seen them all. IMO their motivation is just all wrong and they are stuffed to the gills with bad karma.

Take a little, give a little smile & b happy,,,,,,,,,,, if you can do that with a big fat beefy packed with killer bud then boy you got it made :D
Stay frosty.W

Lol, I'm not married and dont have pets but i manage to control myself on my bad days. I smoke a joint and relax before I look at the forum.
If i disagree with someone I do my reading 1st, different sources, creditable sources. That way if I'm wrong i have learnt something new and avoid looking a prat. A simple search on Wikipedia about photosynthesis could change your mind on cutting off fan leaves.

Some people are just too stubborn to admit they are wrong and learn something new.

Great links Hick! From his postings yesterday I thought he had been growing for 30 years but it turns out he is on his first grow. I needed that laugh.

craterlake said:
Whoa boys, lets calm down now...Boy, it seems I've opened up quite a can of worms here! I'm of course getting mixed messages here...Sensi and THG, what's your take on all this? I haven't heard from you yet!

I do not remove fan leaves. As mentioned they are the little solar panels that turn light and nutes into THC and other good things. ALL photosynthesis takes part in the green parts of the plants. There is actually little photosynthesis that takes place in the buds themselves--ie buds do not need the light, the leaves do. We did not simply pull this idea out of the air--there is science behind it. The bottom line is that it is not beneficial to remove healthy fan leaves.

Latest posts

Back