Fan leaves

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:rofl:... I can get by with kicking the dog before I log on, but slappin' the o'lady around only makes the forum waaay to difficult to read......tough to see through blackened, swollen eyes :p

I read some of his replies last night. I decided to log off and go do some purple haze bong rips.

The setting was a lot better with him not around.

This is one of things where people have different methods and different point of views.

Just like one member might like to smoke fan leaves from a very potent and THC ridden White Widow male and some us prefer to smoke the bud off of the females. Where is Art on this one?

Hick said:
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54939
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54976

only 3 weeks ago, he considered himself a "newb" (his words, not mine).."loved" the site, and was "thankful" for the info,.... suddenly he knows more than everyone, and thinks cursing and name calling will make him appear to ...:confused2:...

I have to say that I appreciate all responses to my questions, but I see a curiosity here that seems a bit contrary to me...if wannabe is an expert why not name him/herself 'alreadyam'? Just sayin'!

This whole thread went haywire because I said to never trim fan leaves. There is nothing anybody can tell me to do otherwise. Those huge fan leaves are what feed your plant, not the little leaves on the buds. The fan leaves need light not buds. Im all for topping and bending and lst but cutting healthy fan leaves just seems so crazy to me. So my final verdict is dont cut.

Crater use your best judgment and do what you want to do. I think you have gotten some good info from smart growers here and now do what you want with it. I have a friend who cuts fan leaves off and it sounds like a few people here do it too, but Im not going to.

maineharvest said:
Crater use your best judgment and do what you want to do. I think you have gotten some good info from smart growers here and now do what you want with it. I have a friend who cuts fan leaves off and it sounds like a few people here do it too, but Im not going to.

Yes, I have enough to go on now and I feel the general concensus is don't do it! I have already cut some but I will leave the rest for sure!!

tanks all!!

You might have a point there OSS on post 44. Do you think watering with molasses and trimming would be better than not watering with molasses and not trimming? Good question. I dont know all that much about the science of the mj plant but I bet some smarty can answer that.

"I" don't think "feeding" the soil with molasses has anything to do with sugars "produced" by photosynthesis.
i.e.I don't believe the plant is absorbing "sugars" frm the molasses, but it (molasses) IS feeding the microbial growth in the soil.

:p beat that horse all you want OS.. just don't beat on the o'lady..:rofl:...

orangesunshine said:
:doh: ----i knew that----:doh: -----thanks---so how we gonna get more photosynthesis happening on the lower branches with out trimming a few shade leaves during veg---GROW SMALLER PLANTS---:headbang:

What i do is train the lower branches to stretch out more so they get better light. I tie the lower branches down and when they start to bend upwards towards the light i adjust the tie so that it grows out away from the fan leaf.

Or you could just cut them off and let it concentrate on the top buds instead.

"IMO".. the light you're gaining to 'lower' branches is counter acted by losing the light to the 'upper' branches, where the light is strongest, and 'most' usefull to your plant. "I" don't even believe in tieing them out of the way, where the light isn't hitting them as directly as possible.
I feel that you/the plant get the most benefit from the light, at the top, where it recieves the most lumens.

Hick said:
"IMO".. the light you're gaining to 'lower' branches is counter acted by losing the light to the 'upper' branches, where the light is strongest, and 'most' usefull to your plant. "I" don't even believe in tieing them out of the way, where the light isn't hitting them as directly as possible.
I feel that you/the plant get the most benefit from the light, at the top, where it recieves the most lumens.

Wouldn't that depend on how tall the plant is though?

A bit of traning during veg will eliminate most lower growth and help to produce an even canopy and then remove the lower growth at the end of veg. JMO

I bet if Hick were to check wannabe's IP address it wld be the same as some disgruntled ex members....sounds to much like he was trolling for a disagreement....maybe I am just cynical.

orangesunshine said:
yes, i concur---but want 8-10 colas per plant equally as fat from top to bottom

IMO .. the only way that 'can' happen, is if all branches are equal in "all" areas. The 'upper most' cola will always be the biggest and most potent because it is getting the most "growth hormones" directed there through the apical stem. When you bend/tie/train the apical tip 'below' another branch, that branch then becomes the subject of the directed growth. .

craterlake said:
Whoa boys, lets calm down now...Boy, it seems I've opened up quite a can of worms here! I'm of course getting mixed messages here...Sensi and THG, what's your take on all this? I haven't heard from you yet!

Hi craterlake, here is my opinion and what I do;

Fan leaves can and should be removed WHEN THEY HAVE PROBLEMS, otherwise I never touch them. I only remove fan leaves that have more than 50% damage to the leaf otherwise I leave them alone. As far as removing fan leaves to let light penetrate below...well that is the same as cutting off your arm to get a better tan on your leg. Just move your arm so the sunlight hits your leg!

The pictures are kind of hard to understand but if you enlarge them it makes sense. Whenever I have a fan leaf that is covering the top of a growing bud, I simply adjust the leaf by bending it around to whatever position I want. In this case I pushed them down below the growing buds.
1) before, 2) after ------------------------------------- 3) before, 4) after
adjusting fan leaves 001.JPG adjusting fan leaves 002.JPG adjusting fan leaves 004.JPG adjusting fan leaves 005.JPG

These are some leaves that I pulled to show what I mean. They were from very low on my plants and were getting very little light to begin with and that is why they started dying (I think). The one on the left shows a leaf I will pull, the leaf on the right is a week or so from looking like the one on the left, it is dying as well.
adjusting fan leaves 006.JPG

Hope that helps. Again, this is just what I DO. It is not necessarily the RIGHT THING TO DO. To each his own, find what you like.

-SSF-

the "only" problem I have with that sensistar, is that the 'buds' can't and don't utilize the light .. the "leaves" DO.. but 'only' if those leaves are 'healthy' ;)

Hick said:
IMO .. the only way that 'can' happen, is if all branches are equal in "all" areas. The 'upper most' cola will always be the biggest and most potent because it is getting the most "growth hormones" directed there through the apical stem. When you bend/tie/train the apical tip 'below' another branch, that branch then becomes the subject of the directed growth. .

:D Like this! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
tops 001.JPG

-SSF-

Hick said:
the "only" problem I have with that sensistar, is that the 'buds' can't and don't utilize the light .. the "leaves" DO.. but 'only' if those leaves are 'healthy' ;)

Yea I should have said it allows light to get to the leaves of the growing buds below, not the buds themselves. Thanks for the correction what I wrote might be confusing.

-SSF-

Latest posts

Back