fans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubblegum44

Reaction score
hey guys i have a grow box 3.5 feet high 2.5 long and 1.5 feet long, i have 3 450w lights 100w equivalent and want to know what kind of fans i should get or the power of them and how many?

wait so u have 1350 watts of light in less then 5sq feet? what kind of lights do u have?

That's a lot of light....are your lights inefficient or are you going for overkill?
You will be producing a lot of heat...any of these lights air cooled?

im guessing you have very inefficient CFLs? like t12s? we need more info

they are cfls with 6500 kelvins in the box, im not sure the exact watts but i know there 100w not 100 equivalent.

bubblegum44 said:
they are cfls with 6500 kelvins in the box, im not sure the exact watts but i know there 100w not 100 equivalent.

Okay so that nixes the air cooled part.... You will need a good inline fan to suck the hot air out of your grow box and then a cpl passive intakes down low to bring in plenty of cool air from outside.

bubblegum44 said:

In one place you say they are 100W equivalent and in another you say they are actual 100W. How big are the lights? Do they have mogul sockets? How many lumens do they put out? 100W CFLs are LARGE bulbs. I also suspect that if they were actual 100W that your space would be getting quite hot without ventilation.

How many cfl's of the smaller kind wld ya need to get that many actual watts? A crap load I think.

I did some checking. I think you mean that you have 420w equivalent cfls that consume 100 actual watts.

If so they are suppose to put out about 7k lumens each. You should have plenty to grow . (
This is all a rough estimate on bulbs i have found that matched the description.)

Hight seems like a problem though, As THG pointed out the 100w cfls are big, that's taking up allot of head room and plus pots. Are you planning on flowering in there?

I might suggest having the out take fan right above the CFLs near the ballast as that's what heats up the most. Bring air in from the opposite side at the bottom. Just a hole will do so the negative pressure pulls air in.

I absolutely HATE the term "equivalent".

JUST TELL ME WHAT IT DRAWS! Stupid light bulb companies

This is why i own a Kill-A-Watt :)

OGKushman said:
I absolutely HATE the term "equivalent".

JUST TELL ME WHAT IT DRAWS! Stupid light bulb companies

This is why i own a Kill-A-Watt :)

I totally agree--equivalent wattage mean nothing.

on the other thread i didnt say it was 100w equivalent people were saying they were, they are the 420w 100w equivalent and i was kind of wondering like exta fan i should get i know it is very important thats why i want to find the perfect ones, considering i am new and you guys know yous stuff i was hoping someone could find one i should buy and how many because i have seen many types of inline fans just dont know what one to get, and i dont know how many because i plan on having 1 or 2 blowing air and 1 or 2 exhausting it and i am getting a gel to put on cardboard to rid the smell, if you know what the gel is it would also help my friend told me but i forgot the name

bubblegum44 said:
on the other thread i didnt say it was 100w equivalent people were saying they were, they are the 420w 100w equivalent and i was kind of wondering like exta fan i should get i know it is very important thats why i want to find the perfect ones, considering i am new and you guys know yous stuff i was hoping someone could find one i should buy and how many because i have seen many types of inline fans just dont know what one to get, and i dont know how many because i plan on having 1 or 2 blowing air and 1 or 2 exhausting it and i am getting a gel to put on cardboard to rid the smell, if you know what the gel is it would also help my friend told me but i forgot the name
:confused:
for a tool box sized grow just go to walgreens or some drug store and buy any samll fan that fits. A fan is all the same, unless your looking for a vortex, but you dont have a reason for one without ducted lights.

cardboard and gel??? Ono gel is expensive. You dont put it on paper...you just open the lid.

Carbon filter is >

i wouodnt know what to tell you for such a small grow. You might want to look into "PC grows"

what one would you say is better for the size i have ona gel or carbon filter?
are you 100% sure ill only need pc fans considering i am going to be using 3 100w clf lights or how many to get?

bubblegum44 said:
what one would you say is better for the size i have ona gel or carbon filter?
are you 100% sure ill only need pc fans considering i am going to be using 3 100w clf lights or how many to get?
Where did i say PC fans???

I told you to research small grows like a "pc grow" to figure out what is needed. I have seen them, but they are not too common around here. You might need bigger or smaller, its hard for us to tell you exactly without pics.

I said above that a carbon filter is always better. Many many reasons why..

This is nothing to do with removing heat, purely air exchange.
Work out your grow space cubic feet=length x height x width.
X number of air exchanges per minute (between 4 and 0.25, the higher the number, the more heat is removed but you also remove humidity)
+ 25% if carbon filter present.
=XXXX cfm (cubic feet per minuite)

This is not my opinion, I just copied it from Urban gardner magazine.
W

k so i got my lights in today and there massive, i ended up getting 4 pc fans 5.5inches big for maximum airflow and going to get a carbon filter, does this sound fine?
and sorry i dont have any pics i dont have a camera right now its at my friends but i will upload some soon

Latest posts

Back