Feds Want To Block Michigan Marijuana Users From Buying Guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnin1

Reaction score
From The Fresh Toast
The Feds Really Want To Block Michigan Marijuana Users From Buying Guns
smoking2.jpg

By: Brendan Bures
March 6, 2020

The ATF rescinded a provision that allowed Michigan residents to buy guns while using marijuana on the low.
An ongoing and often underreported feature of medical marijuana access is that it denies gun rights to patients. According to federal law, it’s a felony for an “unlawful user of … any controlled substance” to “possess … any firearm or ammunition.” By participating in state-legal medical marijuana programs, the feds assume patients are currently using cannabis. They are therefore not allowed to own a gun until 12 months after their last assumed use.

One way Michigan residents have avoided this problem is by obtaining a Concealed Pistol License (CPL). A 2006 provision from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) allowed unlicensed gun dealers in the state to accept a CPL in lieu of conducting a federal background check. This became a loophole for medical patients and recreational users alike in the state to both own a gun and having cannabis access.

But the feds have caught on. The ATF will now require all firearm dealers to conduct background checks on buyers before issuing their gun. That’s because the ATF believes Michigan State Police were granting CPLs to those who didn’t qualify, including “habitual marijuana users.”

“Specifically, ATF learned that CPLs were and continue to be issued to applicants who were likely prohibited due to a conviction for a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence, and to habitual marijuana users,” reads an ATF memo sent to all licensed gun dealers. “Although possession and use of marijuana is not unlawful under Michigan law, marijuana remains a ‘controlled substance’ under Federal law, and those using marijuana are prohibited from possessing or transporting a firearm.”

This will force some Michigan residents to choose between medical marijuana access or gun ownership. Anyone who purchases a gun must fill out a Firearm Transaction Record, issued by the ATF. It includes the question: “Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?” Saying yes to this question will block your possible gun purchase. Lying on this form is a felony.

Legal experts have advised recreational users in Michigan to avoid possessing a firearm. Two different laws — one under the criminal code and another under the firearms statute — strictly prohibits possessing a firearm while under the influence of marijuana. Though neither law states a definition for what “under the influence,” the ease at which the state could convict you using a combination of police observation and blood test is too much to risk.

This new advisory by the ATF is yet again an assault on Michigan’s state sovereignty and singularly targets the most law-abiding among us,” Michigan resident Josh Wayner told The Truth About Guns. “The citizens of Michigan voted to legalize marijuana in our state, and as a result of federal overreach, the government has decided to put upstanding citizens, who have the lowest rate of crime here, under the microscope for doing what is legal here if they choose to.”

https://thefreshtoast.com/marijuana...ck-michigan-marijuana-users-from-buying-guns/

From The Fresh Toast
The Feds Really Want To Block Michigan Marijuana Users From Buying Guns
smoking2.jpg

By: Brendan Bures
March 6, 2020

The ATF rescinded a provision that allowed Michigan residents to buy guns while using marijuana on the low.
An ongoing and often underreported feature of medical marijuana access is that it denies gun rights to patients. According to federal law, it’s a felony for an “unlawful user of … any controlled substance” to “possess … any firearm or ammunition.” By participating in state-legal medical marijuana programs, the feds assume patients are currently using cannabis. They are therefore not allowed to own a gun until 12 months after their last assumed use.

One way Michigan residents have avoided this problem is by obtaining a Concealed Pistol License (CPL). A 2006 provision from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) allowed unlicensed gun dealers in the state to accept a CPL in lieu of conducting a federal background check. This became a loophole for medical patients and recreational users alike in the state to both own a gun and having cannabis access.

But the feds have caught on. The ATF will now require all firearm dealers to conduct background checks on buyers before issuing their gun. That’s because the ATF believes Michigan State Police were granting CPLs to those who didn’t qualify, including “habitual marijuana users.”

“Specifically, ATF learned that CPLs were and continue to be issued to applicants who were likely prohibited due to a conviction for a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence, and to habitual marijuana users,” reads an ATF memo sent to all licensed gun dealers. “Although possession and use of marijuana is not unlawful under Michigan law, marijuana remains a ‘controlled substance’ under Federal law, and those using marijuana are prohibited from possessing or transporting a firearm.”

This will force some Michigan residents to choose between medical marijuana access or gun ownership. Anyone who purchases a gun must fill out a Firearm Transaction Record, issued by the ATF. It includes the question: “Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?” Saying yes to this question will block your possible gun purchase. Lying on this form is a felony.

Legal experts have advised recreational users in Michigan to avoid possessing a firearm. Two different laws — one under the criminal code and another under the firearms statute — strictly prohibits possessing a firearm while under the influence of marijuana. Though neither law states a definition for what “under the influence,” the ease at which the state could convict you using a combination of police observation and blood test is too much to risk.

This new advisory by the ATF is yet again an assault on Michigan’s state sovereignty and singularly targets the most law-abiding among us,” Michigan resident Josh Wayner told The Truth About Guns. “The citizens of Michigan voted to legalize marijuana in our state, and as a result of federal overreach, the government has decided to put upstanding citizens, who have the lowest rate of crime here, under the microscope for doing what is legal here if they choose to.”

https://thefreshtoast.com/marijuana...ck-michigan-marijuana-users-from-buying-guns/

A total crock of **. While the basic premise of legal marijuana users not legally allowed to own firearms MAY be true (I don't know) the notion that a CPL (Concealed Pistol License) is a loophole for unlawful purchases is ludicrous. Anyone who believes this has obviously never obtained a CPL. After an applicant does the required range training and 12 hour classroom studies you pay your $100.00 and wait for up to six weeks while a BACKGROUND CHECK IS DONE. Since the license expires every 4 years you get to submit another $100.00 and submit to another BACKGROUND CHECK.

Michigan gun dealers MAY accept a valid CPL in lieu of another background check (not all do).

Being a Michigan resident and a CPL holder I think I speak with some authority on the subject.

EDIT: The fact the BATFE wants to limit gun ownership is undoubtedly true.

The Federal Gun Control Act of 1968 prohibits anyone from possessing guns if they use cannabis as it is a schedule 1 drug. This applies to medical marijuana as well. The Feds have no way of knowing you use cannabis unless you are convicted of a crime related to cannabis.

Edit: SP

They tried it in Cali, didn't stop gun ownership or Medical patients or recreational users. Lots of oxy users own guns, nobody has an issue with that

“Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?”

The way I see it is if both medical and recreational MJ use is legal in Michigan, then one cannot be an “unlawful” user.

A total crock of **. While the basic premise of legal marijuana users not legally allowed to own firearms MAY be true (I don't know) the notion that a CPL (Concealed Pistol License) is a loophole for unlawful purchases is ludicrous. Anyone who believes this has obviously never obtained a CPL. After an applicant does the required range training and 12 hour classroom studies you pay your $100.00 and wait for up to six weeks while a BACKGROUND CHECK IS DONE. Since the license expires every 4 years you get to submit another $100.00 and submit to another BACKGROUND CHECK.

Michigan gun dealers MAY accept a valid CPL in lieu of another background check (not all do).

Being a Michigan resident and a CPL holder I think I speak with some authority on the subject.

EDIT: The fact the BATFE wants to limit gun ownership is undoubtedly true.
The county pulled my CPL because I had a med card. Haven't had a med card in over three years, so I'm gonna apply for another CPL.

for sure!

me and Swede both have gold fever again so i may buy a bag of paydirt and get after it

this is the one i usually buy

https://goldbay.com/paydirt-shop/10-grams-gold-chunky-paydirt-5-lbs/
You pointed me down that rabbit hole the other day. Sounds like a good way to wait out winter.

When I was a youngster, there was an amusement park in the Adirondacks that had a sluice chute set up where kids could pan for fools gold. I recall it was pretty fun. I thought I had a nice gold nugget for my work. My parents probably enjoyed the break…

The county pulled my CPL because I had a med card. Haven't had a med card in over three years, so I'm gonna apply for another CPL.
I had a doctors recommendation to get my MMJ card. I just got it because I was starting to grow weed and I wanted to be able to say I was in the process of getting my MMJ card in case I got busted before the state legalized it. I was Leary of getting the card as I figured it would allow the state to pull my LTC(Massachusetts’ equivalent of a CPL). Glad I never got the medical card.

The ‘doctor’ who gave me the recommendation was obviously prompting me to say what was necessary to get the doctors note. Just a money making scam…

You pointed me down that rabbit hole the other day. Sounds like a good way to wait out winter.

When I was a youngster, there was an amusement park in the Adirondacks that had a sluice chute set up where kids could pan for fools gold. I recall it was pretty fun. I thought I had a nice gold nugget for my work. My parents probably enjoyed the break…

go for it….a lot of videos out there on panning techniques

here is a starter kit or one can buy these individually all over ebay

i hardly ever use the small pan , maybe just to hold stuff

but yeah , it is a fun hobby and so far it has paid off for me , gold aint going down in price anytime soon

https://gpaastore.com/products/gold-panning-starter-kit

Latest posts

Back