feminized seeds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hemp319

Reaction score
I recently started using these seeds and read unflattering information about how they always go hermie. I started getting feminized seeds in the first place because...well, i wanted guaranteed female plants. I prefer to clone, but I only have one flowering area. Cutting clones would mean that they would veg far too long before the previous batch is ready to harvest. I have some feminized nyc diesel from BC Seedking in their second week and Im concerned about hermies. Im not sure exactly what constitutes a hermie. I notice little clusters on a few, but nothing serious as of yet. If a plant is a little less ladylike than the one next to it, do I get rid of her or should I wait it out to make sure??

Howdy Hemp. I understand your situation, as i too only have 1 flowering space. Anyhow , what constitutes a hermie is having both male and female 'parts' on the same plant, resulting in a self-pollinating plant. Here is a great link with pics on what to keep an eye out for. Good luck.:D :icon_smile:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16565

live links for MP is ok, isnt it? live to the MP own site, that is.

Feminized seeds dont mean hermi. There is a chance but you have a better chance of nice female. I would be more worried about light leaks and messing up the photoperiond causing hermis.

hemp319 said:
Im not sure exactly what constitutes a hermie. I notice little clusters on a few, but nothing serious as of yet. If a plant is a little less ladylike than the one next to it, do I get rid of her or should I wait it out to make sure??

If you hve a few clusters of boy parts you hve a hermie and need to kill it. Make iso or bho if it was far into flowering and think it is worth the trouble.
There is no such thing as "a little less ladylike.." in my book. :eek:

Jmo

Femenized does not automatically mean that it will "hermie". It just means that the genetic tendancy is there(and more prominant) within the DNA of the plant. Some will say that the genetic trait to "hermie" is in all MJ, just not expressed in the same way as in a femenized plant, IDK. But if your genetics of the seeds you bought are good then you shouldn't have a problem unless you abuse the plant with "stressors" like erratic temp swings or light leaks during the flowering phase.... Read up on the hermie info along with all the other info as it is good stuff. Take good care of them and watch for male pops and you shouldn't have any problems too often. JMO :)

Im in day 11 and Im not convinced that they are hermie as of yet. I see white hairs on them. I wonder if they are the calyx and im being paranoid. I know a male when I see one once it starts to mature. If they are not calyx they will bulge and be noticeable right??

Pics wld probably clear this up....in my limited experience with fem beans they were pretty much fine hermie wise. I never had a known one from fem beans.
Jmo

Pic prob would help. Calyxes with white hairs are female traits if you dont see any balls anywhere I wouldnt assume you have a hermie yet. Just based on the fact you bought fem seeds. I ususally buy fem beans JMO.

Methinks you're stressing for naught....but pics would tell the tale!

hemp319 said:
I recently started using these seeds and read unflattering information about how they always go hermie. I started getting feminized seeds in the first place because...well, i wanted guaranteed female plants.?

While I'm not a fan of them, to say "they always go hermie" is simply hogwash. As much hogwash as saying they are "guaranteed female plants"...;) Simply put, neither is true. :cool:

Day 11 of flowering? How long did you veg? Are you actually seeing pistils or new growth? Calyx will not be at all swollen at only 11 days. Many new growers mistake new growth for female pistils. Can you post up some pics?

Nanners look different than normal male pollen sacks, IMO.

Hick said:
While I'm not a fan of them, to say "they always go hermie" is simply hogwash. As much hogwash as saying they are "guaranteed female plants"...;) Simply put, neither is true. :cool:

:yeahthat:

Latest posts

Back