Fert and drainage question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
___my grow looks like this: in the flower stage___ (sry no pics yet)
1. Two hudge compact flors @ 45watts each. Total of 5,800 lumens in warm red color.
2. Two 4ft floros running vertically on the wall (the plant grows up lights :D) @40watts each. Total of 6,400 lumens in warm color.
3. Soil grown. in 5gal pot. USE nut-soil and plant-food.
4. medium fan hung in the air blowing down on grow conner. __Ionic__air__purifier in closet.
5. 12/12 timer
6. soda water in spray bottle for cO2 (sodium free, sprayed daily +plus me talking to her:)
7.THe soil is mixed with 1/3 perlite.

I hope this plant kicks with 12,200 lumens (for just one plant :/ )

6000 lumens per sq ft you you be fine as long as it doesnt get much bigger than 2 sq feet .

OK, guys. Day 3 of flowering. Lastnight when the lights went on I took a cut of a branch for a clone. I cut a small branch (it measured 1inch) I gave my clone a "hair cut" dipped it in root treatment and planted it in a small 2inch high pot. THis moringing when I wook up it looked weak and dead. The top of the clone was touching the soil, like it had no life. I flushed it down the toliet. My question is, how long must the cutting be to take root? How many leaves should it have. I read the post on cloning, reaally helped too. But I don't kknow how many inches it must be...

sicnarf said:
how long must the cutting be to take root? How many leaves should it have.
For optimum results, you should choose a stem that is at least 2 inches, but best at 4 inches long. The clipping should have at least 2 leaves on it and it's better if it has 4 or even 6. Cut the stem with a sharp pair of manicure sissors. Then, get your clone pot ready for it. Just before you stick it into the pot, take a razor blade and put a new cut at 45 degrees on the end of the clone and immediatly dip it in your hormone. Brush it lightly with a piece of tissue while it's in the hormone. This will prevent an air blockage on the cut. It's weird, but that really does happen. Then, put the clone into it's pot and lightly but firmly tamp the dirt around it so that it has good support. You don't want the clone to move even a fraction during it's rooting. No touchy, no feely. Keep the soil moist by watering from the bottom using a base pan. Don't drown it.

After about 10-15 days, you should start noticing new growth. That's good. It means the plant is starting to use it's new starter roots. All it takes to screw up a starter clone is one touch. I've seen this happen countless times. I always ask and I'm told, "well I just wiggled it a little".

If you buy a cloning machine, it makes it much faster, (10 days), and much more fool proof. Very very much worth the money.

Stoney Bud said:
All it takes to screw up a starter clone is one touch.

No doubt. I don't even touch the container. I have screwed up plenty in my past by just moving it in my cab, not even touching the plant itself. Don't expect great results cloning your first time around. It took me 3 attempts to get it right.

This will prevent an air blockage on the cut

I make my last cut in the cup of water. I found this helps prevent an air bubble.

sicnarf said:
My plant is about 20 inches high and already on it's 2nd day of Flowering. I'll take your advice and water with just reg water (distilled) for a frew weeks to break up the soil nuts some. So you mean that I should put my plant pot in a bigger pot? So it's like cups stacked on top of each other? then pour the nut-water down the side of the base (bigger outter pot, leaving an inch around so water can go down)? can somebody post a pic of this!
Using soil, I'd go with nothing smaller than a 3 gallon pot for the size plant your talking. You'll see in the picture below what I mean about the watering base. Put your plant on one inch spacers in the base. Roots will actually grow out the bottom into the nutrient solution.

The pot I'm showig in the picture is too small for the size plant your talking about, but you see the setup. Since you used the added nutrient potting soil, only use water in the base for most of your flowering. When the plant is in full flower, you should add a hydroponic nutrient to the water that is mixed for flowering. This will push the flowering.

On your next grow, maybe I'll talk you into a hydroponic grow.

PotWithBase.JPG

Hydro is someting ill try once I get soil growing down, can't wait. Thanks for the pics, makes perfect sense.

3rd day of flowering, 2nd clone idea:

I notice 3 lil roots shooting up next to my mother plants stem base. They each have top leaves on them and are coated with cyrstals. I see white roots when I pulled one up. Could I snip it and clone it?...what's the deal with the white resin on them anyways?

Latest posts

Back