fertilizer Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

username812

Reaction score
what is the difference between potash and phosphorus(sp)?

Potash is soluable pottassium

Phosphorus is another key nutrient

Both are part of the three Primary nutrients needed for plant growth. The other is of course Nitrogen.

Quick easy lesson in nutrients:
Macro-nutrients:

Nitrogen (N)--promotes development of new leaves

Phosphorus (P)--aids in root growth and blooming

Potassium (K)--important for disease resistance and aids growth in extreme temperatures

Sulfur (S)--contributes to healthy, dark green color in leaves

Calcium (Ca)--promotes new root and shoot growth

Magnesium (Mg)--chlorophyll, the pigment that gives plants their green color and absorbs sunlight to make food

when you see a fert box with numbers like 20-20-20. this is the N-P-K ratio of it. the percentage of (nitrogen)-(phosphorus)-(potassium)

Micro-nutrients:
Boron (B), copper (Cu), cobalt (Co), iron (Fe) manganese (Mn), molybdenum (Mo), and zinc (Zn)

most of these are found in the soil. so defencies with these as far as soil growers is rare.

Now Hydro ferts contain all of the micro and macro nutes required to sustain a plant. that is why Miracle grow cannot be used as a hydro fert. it does not have micro-nutrients.

Hope this answers it for ya. ;)

since i already have them seperate when should i start using the potash, i also have fish emulsion for nitrogen (5-1-1), thanks

Your getting out of my area now. I am not an organic grower. (unless I buy pre-mixed organics). I know its mixtures gotta be a certain way. better wait for Ganja or Hick.

Plants need all 3--N (nitrogen) P (phosphorus) and K (potash i.e. potassium) thoughout their entire life, but for N & P in varying amt.'s depending on what stage the plants are in.
Potassium isn't needed in varying amt's as much as N and P but there always has to be some.
There are many sources of K, both organic and chemical.
Unless your very experienced, mixing your own up is tricky. It's much better imo, to get a full-spectrum nutrient like for instance Fox Farms.

P.S. if your backyard growing (in the ground), you can get good results by with adding fish emulision for veg and high-P bat guano for flowering.

so i shoudnt even bother with the potash? which is kelp by the way its only (0-0-1) and do you know of any other good organic fertilizers besides fox farm, the nearest store that sells it is almost 2 hours away?

Latest posts

Back