Fight Off Bugs And Disease With Aspirin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombbudpuffa

Sweet Cheeba Chiefa
Reaction score
We've all heard that advice from doctors. And moms have been dispensing this all-purpose cure-all to their families as a standard way of providing relief from headaches and sniffles, muscle aches and joint pain.
Then it should be no surprise to learn how an important aspirin ingredient--salicylic acid--is being used as an Earth-friendly first aid for warding off plant diseases.
Meet Martha McBurney, the master gardener in charge of the demonstration vegetable garden at the University of Rhode Island. In the summer of 2005 she tested aspirin water on tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, basil and other plants after reading about it in a gardening publication called the Avant Gardener (PO Box 489, New York, NY 10028). The results were well, astonishing...
"What caught my eye in the original Avant Gardener article was it said that aspirin is an activator of Systemic Acquired Resistance (SAR). And that plants, when under stress, naturally produce salicylic acid, but not fast enough and in sufficient quantities to really help them out in time. So the bugs get them, and diseases get them, and they show even more stress.​
"But if you give them aspirin, it helps boost their immune system, kind of like feeding people echinacea so they don't get a cold.

hxxp://www.plantea.com/plant-aspirin.htm

I use up to ten aspirin a gallon an mature plants with no ill effect:).

i had read this and used it many times but never had seen it backed up with how it worked. thank you very much.

Also an asprin, would it be considered a disolved solid? And if so how much effect did it have on your ppm and PH? And can it apply to both soil and hydro? Thanks...take care..

What mg of asprin do you use?
Whatever regular strength is:).
would it be considered a disolved solid?
I'm sure it would.
how much effect did it have on your ppm and PH?
I don't monitor PPM but it makes my PH acidic...you'll have to adjust Ph.
can it apply to both soil and hydro?
Honestly, i've only used it in soil so i'm not sure about the dro thing. Sorry:(.

After you feed them aspirin they will have a strong aspirin smell for a few days. It's kind of weird. Btw, Sir Tokie my bottle is reg strength, light coat, 325 mg:).

thanks to you im using it. i also used it on all the out door plants. i didnt get an asprin smell after spraying it but it was mixed in with superthrive.

i used this method to combat a spider mite problem, it helped for sure but before i could get them under control i had to chop. but i did notice a smell. thanks BBP, good tip for sure

thats neat as hell. i even wrote it down on note card and tacked it in my grow so i remmber this one.
strangely i also recall as a lil kid like really lil, that dad use to always have his real xmas tree and he always took an aspirin or two and crushed it in the water in the tree base. the base we had had a huge water rexevoir in it. and he also the first night would spray the tree wit aspirin water. he said it helps keep its look and from dien too quik.
i never really gave it much mind until now. thanx BBP
i wonder if it work just crushin up like 1/4 or 1/2 aspirin an add to water durrin waterings the same results? but maybe healthier roots too even. i just may have to experiment on one my wekext females an see.

coool i wish i would have known about this when i had spidermites

Bomb, the article says to spray, so do you use the asprin while watering also? Or am I just confused?

Jeeze!! EDIT: And do you have an opinion as to how long the mixture is viable?

i wondered the same thing nvthis? im in full flower now wit buds goin strong an i dont like teh idea of sprayin my babies wit anythin. and i'd like to ry this ot on a one my ladies thats seems to be pretty week. see if maybe it be liek a pill for the sikness. :)
i'm gonna try googlin roun more on it an if i find anythin else on this aspirin thing i'll post it up here for ya.
an if you serch round an find anythin let me knwo.

any u plant scientists out ther make heads or tails of any this? we tryin to figure if it'd be beneficial to administer this same dose to our mj but in the watering manner rather than teh sprayin the plants method described...?

hxxp://www.papillonsartpalace.com/aspirin.htm
Aspirin for plants - research finding of the century??
Posted by ginger_nh z4 NH (My Page) on Fri, Jan 2, 04 at 22:55

I read today in The Avant Gardener (January '04) newsletter, edited by Thomas Powell, that the USDA Agricultural Research Service has found that spraying plants with aspirin-like solution activates their natural defense systems against bacteria, fungi, and viruses. I then did a quick Google search and found this also from the Dec 2003 edition of Seedquest News out of Cornell U.:
"Discovery of the salicylic acid-binding protein 2 (SABP2) gene, by scientists at Boyce Thompson Institute for Plant Research (BTI) at Cornell University, is being called an important step toward new strategies to boost plants' natural defenses against disease and for reducing the need for agricultural pesticides. Salicylic acid, the chemical compound found naturally in most plants (as well as in the most-used medication, aspirin), is a plant hormone produced at elevated levels in response to attack by microbial pathogens. According to a report on the Web today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS Early Edition, week of Dec. 7, 2003) by BTI's Dhirendra Kumar and Daniel F. Klessig, the aspirin-like hormone is perceived by the SABP2 protein and a message is transmitted, via a lipid-based signal, to activate the plant's defense arsenal.
Says Klessig, "Now that we know a key signaling protein in plant immune systems, we can work on ways to enhance the signal and help plants fight disease without using potentially harmful pesticides."

Back to The Avant Gardener: Powell goes on to say that this may be "the most important research of the century" as it "could result in increased food production and the elimination of synthetic pesticides."

He further writes "If you would like to experiment, spray a few plants with a 1:10,000 solution (3 aspirins disolved in 4 gal. of water), leaving other plants of the same species unsprayed. Tests with numerous plants have shown that the SAR activation lasts for weeks to months."

It would be good to try this experiment in the coming season on older or heirloom perennial varieties (like the old fragrant garden phlox varieties),roses,and other ornamentals prone to disease. For agriculture, this would be a phenomenal finding. I wonder what effects the salicyclic acid residue might have on the environment if this became a common gardening/agriculural pracice and we were talking tons of aspirin-like compounds going into the environment?

ya know, im wondering if this would be beneficial especially if administering it durrin reveg of a plant? or it after like root trimming even . or any of the mj techniques that cause most shock/stress to plants.

i'm still googling. got stuck on this one for while lol

Latest posts

Back