Fight Off Bugs And Disease With Aspirin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well this article actually helps explain wat goes on insidie the plant chemically as result of it etc..

Aspirin Stops Plants Complaining
When plants are attacked or damaged the chemical processes inside the plant go to red alert to address the situation. In the case of insect attack, plants produce specific compounds that produce insect gastro-intestinal distress. These defense compounds are triggered by a hormone, jasmonic acid, which acts like a shot of pain, kick-starting the plants defenses. But new research shows that just as aspirin can stop pain in animals, it can also stop the pain response in plants, suppressing their defensive response to attack.
The function of aspirin in animals is to block the production of prostaglandin, which triggers swelling and pain. Aspirin binds to the active site of the enzyme that is critical to producing prostaglandin. "It essentially renders the enzyme dead and prevents prostaglandin from building up and creating a reaction," said researcher Backhaus. In plants, aspirin blocks the production of jasmonic acid by similarly binding a critical enzyme. "Jasmonic acid is a hormone that is made when plants are in distress. It signals the production of plant-defense compounds -- it works a little like a shot of pain, warning the plant that it is under attack. It can also volitalize and warn nearby plants, a chain reaction that's like a warning signal to other plants," he added.

But unless you're a locust or aphid that wants to turn off the "neighbourhood burglar alarms" it's difficult to see what benefit turning-off a plant's defense mechanisms would have. Perhaps we'll have to wait for The Day of the Triffids to arrive to really make use of it.
hxxp://www.scienceagogo.com/news/19980702112426data_trunc_sys.shtml

now if i'm gettin this right. the apirin basically stops the physical signs of stress in a plant even when in situatioins normally where stress would induce drastin physical symptoms....
anyone else see it liek taht?

here it is. i think wat they are talkin is mixin with the water at waterings and results of testing from different milligram dosage or aspirin.
hxxp://www.colonialdistrictroses.org/id38.html
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Aspirin Cures Common Plant Headaches[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Al Minutolo[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Shenandoah Rose Society[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]The following is an excerpt from the Question and Answer Section of the February 2007 issue of Fine Gardening magazine. A reader asked if aspirin water promoted plant growth and prevented disease. Rebecca Brown, Professor of Plant Sciences at the University of Rhode Island, replied: “Although the complete effects of treating plants with an aspirin-water solution are unknown, studies have shown that applying salicylic acid (aspirin is acetyl salicylic acid) to plants can induce resistance to pathogens, environmental stresses and some insects. This protection should cause all the plants to grow more vigorously. Under extremely stressful conditions or those highly favorable to the growth of diseases, however, salicylic acid may not prevent all damage from stress or disease.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Salicylic acid is a naturally occurring compound in plants. When a plant is stressed or attacked by a pathogen, this compound stimulates the plant’s internal defense pathways. Treating a plant with additional salicylic acid appears to trigger the plant’s defense pathways in the same way.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]In the summer of 2005, Professor Brown directed a group of master gardeners with experiments on tomatoes. The effects of two strengths of aspirin water and the commercial product MessengerÒ were compared to plants sprayed with just water. MessengerÒ activates the same internal defense system as salicylic acid but at a different point along the pathway, which may provide broader protection. Because of dry conditions, none of the plants developed any disease. All of the plants grew equally well. Plants treated with a solution of 250 milligrams of aspirin in 1 gallon of water and the plants treated with MessengerÒ yielded more but smaller fruit than the control.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]An aspirin-water solution of 250 to 500 milligrams (one or two regular aspirin tablets) of aspirin per gallon of water provides a solution similar to what has been tested; solutions at higher rates have been shown to burn foliage. Any brand of aspirin will work, but plain, uncoated tablets dissolve best. The solution should be applied every two weeks and may be used to water germinating seeds and new transplants.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Another form of salicylic acid that is gaining attention is willow water, made from seeping fresh-cut willow branches in water. Willows are naturally high in salicylic acid. The exact amount of salicylic acid in willows is unknown, however, so the amount to use and the timing of application is less certain. Willow water might be worth investigating as a source that could meet organic certification guidelines (neither aspirin nor MessengerÒ do).[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]While there’s no harm in experimenting with these solutions, keep in mind that aspirin water and willow water are not register pesticides. All of these products need to be applied preventively, before the first sign of disease. They may prevent infection but will not kill fungi or bacteria already infecting the plant. It may also take two weeks for the salicylic acid to activate the pathway and protect the plant.[/FONT]

now where it said "Another form of salicylic acid that is gaining attention is willow water"... i recall reading it somewhere that a wat to clone is makin this willow water an soakin your clones in water boiled with willow branches -vs using store bought root hormone/cloning gels...
and talks bout spraying seedlings wit aspirin water... it all makes sens as a good addition to the regimen of mj care if in fact it is 100% true and same wit mj. and only one way to tell is to try it. well i got some seedlings started just come all up other day. im a see if i can find more info on dosage an determine how much to give etc an i'm gonna try it on couple. as well as try it on one of my 2 sickest looki females. i got 2 of same strain that dont look so hot right now ao i figure i'll water one wit the aspirn water and the other that was topped an has very small buddage goin on i'll do the spray wit that one. and i guess we will see.
i might not get to it til later tonite or tomorrow when lites on but i'll try remember to do before an after on the 2 girls im a test it on.
EDIT:
hxxp://www.helium.com/items/1288129-how-to-treat-houseplants-with-transplant-shock
I personally know of at least one person who used it on plants that suffered from travel shock. She used it every couple of days for about the first week. Other people have watered the plant with aspirin water. No matter how it is used, it seems to be beneficial for plants, and I know of no plants that suffered harm because of this treatment.

the first post ya put up really interested me as my girls are showin signs of shock all the time. but it more so the stress from medium i usin and the ph tap water shock they first went thru in beginning etc etc. typical beginner flopps. but im on top the soil mixi gig tho.
i think i got it figured out for my next grow. if ya got few minutes stop by an take look wat i got an any opinions etc appreciated man. http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42128

and i will do wat i was talkin bout with foin a test with this aspirin water on couple my sik ladies. but when i went in med cabinet i found no aspirin. just tyl;enol and some oxy's i have left over from a surgery. i wonder wat'd happen if ya crushed an oxy in wit water for MJ lol no jus kiddin .

Hey bbp I am growing in a homemade earth box, would it be better for me to folier spray or add the aspirin to the water resivor(?)?

I'm not sure about hydro OD. I've never burned a plant with aspirin so I would guess right in the res but I don't give any nutes with the aspirin and i'm sure your res has nutes in it, right? I'm just not sure about hydro and don't want to kill your girls:).

Earth boxes are soil with a chamber in the bottom for water IMO it is a soil grow that draws water up from the bottom. Do you think I would be better off watering from the top of the soil or spraying folier?

I’m growing my plants outdoors yet I’m worried about bugs, snakes, and golfers. Besides aspirin, What kind of pesticides/ insecticides can I use to deter these creatures?

i been meanin to do this test wit the aspirin but when i got the aspirin i got generic regular aspirin an bout every hit i get wit google on any this aspirin regimen for plants i hear the same thing (the regular strength aspirin 81mg)
the stuff i grabbed was 0ver 150mg.
i guess it pays to read detils on bottles before buyin lol.
but BBP, are you usin this aspirin reg. at all urself?
wats ur take on its use if you are? just curious.
and wat strength aspirin u been usin? etc..

I’m growing my plants outdoors yet I’m worried about bugs, snakes, and golfers. Besides aspirin, What kind of pesticides/ insecticides can I use to deter these creatures?
hey blondboy... theres many diy insecticides on here just serch for them. there a number of concoctions.
im thinkin more long the lines that this aspirin water is more to eliminate the signs of stress that may occur from like transplant nut burns or watever shock/stress may happen. its somethin to do wit the chemistry in the plant and teh reaction to the aspirin. there many links i posted above that explain the more acience side of it i guess. check em out if you like..

blondeboy said:
I’m growing my plants outdoors yet I’m worried about bugs, snakes, and golfers.

:rofl: Yeah, me too Blondie, damn golfers purposefully hitting their balls into the 'rough'!

legalize-marijuana-california-environment.jpg

Do you think I would be better off watering from the top of the soil or spraying folier?
Sounds something like a hempy. I'd just water it with the aspirin with no nutes:).
They sell stuff specifically for deterring wildlife. Get the stuff that smells not the stuff they have to taste. They have several different kinds on ebay:). You can also use urine, hair clippings(human or dog) and soap.
wat strength aspirin u been usin?
Reg strength, lite coat, 325 mg:).

u been usin 325 mg aspirin? wow. i thought i read a couple places to use the weekeest strength 81mg about? but if ya plants aint dead or diein im sure it'd work. but do you use one 325mg per gallon or two gallons water BBP?
cuz thats the same strength i ended up grabbin at wal-mart. iu just checked.

no, seriously hey? lol. u relly used 10 in a gallon? or u just pullin my leg cuz every hit i got on google says one aspirin per gallon or 2 gallons and mostly all i read all stated somewhere round the 81mg per pill aspirin per gallon of watter or 2 gal's..?
im not callin ya a liar bbp. just makin sure you answered correctly is all man.
i dont wanna give em an overdose on aspirin or anythin. lol

u relly used 10 in a gallon?
Yes, I have. You can start at 1 a gallon just to be safe and try different strengths. Wherever I first learned this though the instructions were 10-20 per gallon so i'm quite positive my mix isn't too strong just very acidic.

Exarmy said:
My question Is can you use this in conjunction with like soapy water (which would kill the bugs that are there)

that is wat it had said in few the hits i got on google was to mix wit tad bit a dish soap to act as a sticker. to keep the solution from beading up an just rollin off ya plant,

Latest posts

Back