Fighters Intercept Drug-Carrying Cessna Near Air Force One

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grower13

Reaction score
:holysheep:

SAN FRANCISCO — As Air Force One sat on the tarmac at Los Angeles International Airport this morning, the North American Aerospace Defense Command scrambled two F-16 fighter jets to intercept a small private plane that had invaded the airspace.
The disturbance occurred just minutes before President Obama was scheduled to depart for San Francisco. His plane ultimately took off at 11:40 a.m. PT without incident.
The jets intercepted the general aviation plane – a Cessna 182 – just before 11:30 a.m. PT, according to a statement from NORAD. It was soon forced to land at Long Beach Airport in California and met by local law enforcement officials and the U.S. Secret Service, agency spokesman Brian Leary told ABC News.
Agents interviewed the pilots before they were turned over to the Long Beach Police Department and arrested, an official said.
“We determined the incursion of restricted airspace was of no protective interest,” said Leary.
In other words, there was no intended threat to the president.
But the pilot was in possession of narcotics, the Secret Service said.
One law enforcement source told ABC News the plane was carrying 40 pounds of marijuana. Officials with the Long Beach Police Department did not immediately respond to ABC News’ request to confirm the type or quantity of the drugs.
President Obama landed in San Francisco after an uneventful one-hour flight at 12:40 p.m. PT. He is attending three fundraisers in the city before heading to Seattle on Friday.

Jeepers:eek:

He sure picked a bad time to fly.:laugh:

I wonder what it cost to scramble two fighters???..;)

Not to much more than it costs for them to fly training missions to get their flight time I'm sure.

traiin missions?.. I thought they were airplanes..:confused2:....

ozzydiodude said:
I just want to see the flying trains
don't forget flying cruise ships!!!! :hubba:

Hick said:
I wonder what it cost to scramble two fighters???..
About the same amount of time they heard over their radio. *single engine Cesna*...."Hey Bob!!! Let's really screw with this weed smuggler" ;)

If I was that Pilot...seeing two jets come at me that fast locked and loaded. I might just have jumped outa the plane HAHAHAHA!!!

Would the pilot be in trouble if he had a medical card or works for a Medical MJ clinic? Is the pot in the plane a crime where MJ is legal for Medical use?

Don't really matter Grower13 the pilot and the air space is controled by the feds so he up the creek with a leaking boat and no paddle. He could have slow down to his stall speed and the fighters would have had to leave him or they would fall out the air

ozzydiodude said:
Don't really matter Grower13 the pilot and the air space is controled by the feds so he up the creek with a leaking boat and no paddle. He could have slow down to his stall speed and the fighters would have had to leave him or they would fall out the air

Yea.. your talking Secret Service here... absolutely ZERO sense of humor when it comes to Presidential protection..

AND... NO slowing down would only make you more of a stationary target -vs- moving target... US fighters work in pairs for a reason.... Plus the helicopters that back them up with armed troopers...

the pilot was an idiot and could have easily avoided this situtation... TFR (temporary flight restriction) are posted long before they close the airspace for special reasons.. (ie.. presidential visit, sporting events...ect..ect) and any air traffic controller within 1000 miles could have given him a heads up had he enough sense to ask...

This is not as uncommon as you might think.. TFR's are violated on a fairly regular basis by the unfortunate souls that do NOT take the 5 minutes required to check for these... but the "investigation" rate is 100% and thorough .... the second this guy entered the "exclusion" zone he was "dead man walking"

dang dope smuggler anyway. Shoulda' just shot it down...:giggle:

I would have at least tossed the dope -- wonder if the thought occured to the poor pilot?

HemperFi said:
I would have at least tossed the dope -- wonder if the thought occured to the poor pilot?

then they shoot him out the sky saying he was dropping bombs :rolleyes:

Hick said:
dang dope smuggler anyway. Shoulda' just shot it down...:giggle:

They can't do that . It might be their supplier

Latest posts

Back