Fim

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mysterious

Reaction score
could any one please explain(simply if possible) how i top my plants using the FIM technique?

on the grow tip cut most of the top off leave some of it on and if you did a good and clean prune at least 2(usually more)growths will start in maybe a week or so dependant on strain and quality job

That sounds more like plain old "topping". Fimming is when you remove a good section of the top of the plant to get a big, flat-top kind of bush out of it, you can usually keep the fim as a good sized clone too.

FIM-ing refers to (or at least used to) a technique by which you top or prune a plant to get more than the usual 2 branches that usually grow from the cut.

I've never done it, but from what I understand the cut is made at
a node rather than between one.

It's fallen out of favor when people began to realize like Hick said, that more branches do not mean more yield. It means more but smaller buds.
I heard it was mainly used nowadays for scrog grows.

There is a way to get more yield from more branches. You need to supply lots of soil (for a bigger root mass), more nutrients and more light.
Outdoors, in the ground where there is usually more soil and plenty of sunlight, multiple toppings can up a yield dramatically. The biggest yield I've ever seen from a single plant--over 3.5 lbs.--came off a heavily topped plant that was only 5' tall but about 8' across.
The pot was crummy though, which might have been from trying to get the plant to do something it was unable to do--produce enough THC for all those buds.

hmmm. I don't see anything that appears to be the "FIM" technique that I am familiar with.
I atempted "FIM" (Fekk I Missed) successfully a few times. It involves cutting/removing a portion (2/3-3/4)only, of the very topmost new growth. Virtually cutting the tips off the new growth, just at the point of their splitting into leaf fingers.
This allows multiple branching rather than simply two new branches. But it is a hit 'n miss procedure, IMHO. Some will produce 4-5 branches, some only 2, just as if you hd topped it like the pictures.

THe way I have always topped and seen others top is to ditch the smallest portion of growth right above the top node, resulting in two coming back, not taking any stem like in the pics. Just a difference in methods I reckon. Hick, Fekk I Missed! That's a good one!

biff if u go to google and type this in"fimming site:eek:vergrow.com " when the links come click on cached it will give u the actual page

dont add a smilely face its suppose to like this fimming site: overgrow.com

biff have u ever fimmed its not possible to keep the cut after fim for clone u only cut the top growth u cut 3/4 of it (most of it) how u gonna clone partail leaves u dont cut the stem well at least the way i learned perhaps u come up with a new way which would no longer be called fimming im am also aware that og is shut down for quite sometime the articles are archieved and still obtainable

Latest posts

Back