final checklist

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dozer42

Reaction score
very excited!!!! its finally nice here and i get to start my soil prep. i am going to the grow shop on fri to pick up all my supplies. here is my plan could any one help me with any other items i should check out

using FF soil replacing half of the soil
lime to mix with the FF soil and exsistiong soil
perlite to mix with the FF soil and exsisting soil
worm castings to mix with exsisting soil
also might check out kelp, guanos and alfalfa meal

how many different worm castings, kelp, guanos, ect should i mix with my soil? do they all offer something different or do they all supply N.

Peat Moss any good?

Instead of buying all those additives, why not simply replace ALL the soil with Fox Farms?

Fox Farms Ocean and Forest is expensive, especially if you don't live in Calif (I'm lucky, I live a few miles from where it's made and I get a pick-up truck full dirt cheap).
Black Gold potting soil is also excellent (but equally expensive depending on your locale).
But there are cheaper alternative's.

Go to any large nursery and look for potting soil that has ALL ORGANIC additives such as bat/seabird guano, seaweed/kelp, worm castings, etc. The only non-organic ingredient should be perlite, but perlite shoudn't compose more than 15% of the total amt. (by vol.).
I knew a guy who used like 1/3 perlite and his plants kept falling over when dry.

i would love to replace all the soil with FF soil but just to expensive right now. i pay 20 per bag. i know that it is money well spent, but i live in farmland so our soil is ok. i was just hoping to mix the good stuff with exsisting soil then mixing that with FF soil. i also have a loooooong walk back to my spots so i though this would also save me a few trips.

so ganja i figure it will take me $500 to fill my pickup with FF soil. how much do you pay? you say dirt cheep but is that $5 or like $100.

dozer42 said:
i would love to replace all the soil with FF soil but just to expensive right now. i pay 20 per bag. i know that it is money well spent, but i live in farmland so our soil is ok. i was just hoping to mix the good stuff with exsisting soil then mixing that with FF soil. i also have a loooooong walk back to my spots so i though this would also save me a few trips.

so ganja i figure it will take me $500 to fill my pickup with FF soil. how much do you pay? you say dirt cheep but is that $5 or like $100.

Loose (unbagged) last year $225. It was equal to almost 50 bags (70 cu. ft.).

This year though a friend has another source. Virtually identical ingredients in the same ratio but cheaper. It's sold at stores in this area as Power Flower.

Latest posts

Back