First Banana! Help - Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBurnOne

Reaction score
hello everyone

Flower week 6, day 4

Genetics - Super silver haze (sativa), bcseedking
Setup - 400W Mh for veg/ 400W Hps flower
Nutrients - cns17 Veg / Bloom / (Ripe) 1-5-4 npk 1tbs per Gal, running ripe currently

I have the first Banana on one of my plants its only just this one on the very top of my plant but its also very close to the light aswel.
Do you think this is light stress or something?
Is there anything I can do to prevent more?
Is it too late and is my crop is ruined?

Any advice or suggestions are needed. don't hold back!
- Thanks IBurnOne.

View attachment 1.jpg

6 inches from the bulb. I found 2 more bananas around the same area of the first picture. should I remove those buds completely? or just the spots with bananas? :'( :'( :'(

View attachment 2.jpg

If you have plants at different stages of flower in the same room i would get it out. If all your plants are the same age and going to be harvested around same time, say in about 2.5 weeks, i would leave it, its probably too late to do much damage. Imo.

You will want to clean the room really good before next plants go in.

I am sorry. Where did you get the seeds? It will probably pollinate the room and itself. Seeds take 5 weeks or more to mature... I need to refresh my facts on that. I would imagine you will end up with some soft immature seeds that will not be viable. It isn't the end of the world, but you do want to clean up well, FYI, i thought it was the end of the world when i got my first nanner, but it is a hastle.

Thanks Rose and Dman for your grow knowledge I am forever grateful to the community here and the willingness to help.

I have two plants one has bananas, and the other doesn't. Both plants are finishing at the same time.

Seeds came from bcseedking.com / Feminized super silver haze

Ill just carefully remove the bananas then and hope for the best at end crop.

Fem doesn't always mean Fem. I recently had a Blue Thai that turned out to be a full blown male. I didn't catch it until he had spewed a little pollen.

If one opens before you catch it, spray it with water before you remove the nanner. Throw away all resulting seeds and any clones you might have from this plant.

Update: week 6 day 6.

Every morning I've been checking the two plants and 2 bananas have appeared on the other plant since this post was created. (2days ago)
I removed them right away.

My question is, will my plants stop "forming bud"? will the pistils still recede, and the calyxs swell?

or if pollenated start making seed?

any insight would be appreciated.

- Thanks,
IBurnOne

update bud shots.

View attachment 3.jpg

View attachment 4.jpg

If pollinated, it will begin making seeds. This does not mean that the bud will not increase in size, it will. However, the large majority of the energy will be towards producing seeds and not cannabinoids. Pollination usually causes the pistils to turn red or brown. The calyx will swell, but it will swell because there are seeds growing in there. Keep picking the nanners and if you get lucky, you may get them before they open. They can develop deep in buds where you can't really see them, but there is nothing you can really do if this happens. Do your best now and if you do get seeds, be sure to thoroughly clean your space and equipment to get rid of any residual pollen.

It is things like this that make me leery of fem seeds, still.

Exactly... Super silver haze, i love that stuff, have never grown it though. Fem seeds still hermi...darn it.

There is an outside chance that the nanners are impotent, meaning they will not produce pollen. I had a strain that produced nanners as soon as it started producing buds, but I rarely go any seeds from them (and they were everywhere), so just as a word of encouragement, maybe you will be lucky enough that those are impotent as well. But keep snipping every one you see. Sensemilla Mojo to you :)

It may turn out to be a limited effect.
I had a tent with 8 female plants and well into flowering, I noticed that one plant had seeds, then I discovered seeds in the buds of another couple of plants.
The tent was crowded and I never saw any bananas or which plant might have produced them, so I never did anything and just finished the grow. I was prepared for a whole plant or more being full of seeds.
I discovered that only a couple of buds had any seeds after the harvest and the rest of the buds were all seedless and fine.

yeah those nanners can be hard to find sometimes, especially under yellowish light. Often with the little nanners that get buried in the buds, they don't spit out much pollen so there is little seeding that occurs. I would wipe down everything once the tent is emptied so that any straggler pollen gets taken out before the next set of flowers get going.

For an upbeat report on nanners, i found a lot of them inside Harlequin that i took way long. No problem, sterile or no pollen... phewy. no seeds...just some little yellow nanners in the plant. That is the first time that has happened to me where it was benign...PHEWY.

Latest posts

Back