First grow advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love a good body stone, helps with the sleep the prices are considerably better than attitude so I will probably go with them instead. Any other recommendations on a good uppy euphoric type buzz kind of like Durban Poison? Buleberry punch wasnt up there anymore but I havnt spent a whole lot of time yet looking through the strains, sort of gives me that "kid in a candy store" excitement lol. Would a seedling last long enough in a solo cup to show sex with out nutes? My girlfriend also has an interest in a reliable purple colored strain.

It seems like the Purple strains are more body than head highs. My bro is growing a really nice "clear heady" strain called Pineapple Chunk. Great taste and a very uppy clear headed high.

No, a typical plant takes about 5-6weeks to show sex from germenation. That's way too long to go in a solo cup or without nutes. Your best bet would be to get 4-6 seeds and plant half, bring them up like normal and watch for the little male balls to form. Or you can go with the femenized Pineapple Chunk from Barney's Farm as that is where ours came from and they have been superb through their 3rd grow now without any herm issues.

Hey Goddess, I had a look at the Satori and was wondering about how tall she gets. It looks like a good beginner plant as well.

For those strains that are mold resistant does that also pertain to while the buds are drying and curing or just during growth?

I was looking at that pineapple chunk just a little bit ago. I think my list to start will be Beyond the brain(or fruitylicious) and Satori from Mandala, White Widow (not sure if I'll go with Flying Dutchman or Nirvana yet), Pineapple Chunk from Barney's Farm, Blue mystic ( for the the gf) Nirvana. To play with for a long while, I want to have a supply of a few strains so I dont have to make many orders.

Sounds like a great line-up. If you clone, you don't have to buy seeds again until........you see another strain that catches your eye that you decide that you just must have and try out.

I recommend Satori as a nice up high. It really get me and motivated. LOL--I love strains with "warnings" like this: Persons not used to highly psychoactive sativas should be cautious with the dosage.

Most of my Satori gets about 3' tall. However height can be controlled pretty well by either not vegging too long or fim, scrog, lst. I have had some monsters though.

Lol, I havn't smoked for at least a month and a half and don't have any local dealers anymore due to him passing away recently, so my tolerance has gone way down I'll be looking forward to poppin a few satori's.

I will probably do a few runs to get some experience first hand growing and how to lst and hst sucessfully also building up my funds to have two 4'x4' tents able to veg then flip to flower and keep the 4x'2 tent for mothers and clones and early veg or make that my drying/curing tent so I can play around with scrog and do a continual harvest type deal or atleast off set harvests by 4-6 weeks.

I would use good quality seeds to do your "runs". If you are prepared, have your rooms set up and dialed in, there is no reason that you cannot have a fine harvest your first crop. I think there is an advantage to knowing what you are growing and not having to worry about hermies from bag seed.

IMO, if you want to do continual harvest, scrogging is not your best growing method. I ran a scrog in my vegging space while I was redoing my flowering space, but would never really wanted to be moving it from space to space. I think you can get as nice a harvest with other growing methods like lollipopping, fim, top, etc. I really think lst and scrog are better when your height is limited, you are trying to control your canopy, and you will not be moving your plants around. I can think of no reason for hst--I don't like to get too tough on the girls--most of them really do not like stress. If you do a scrog in one tent--veg and flower in the same space, you are going to need to switch your lights out with a tent crowded with plants and screening.

Yeah I think I'll place an order for some seeds within the next week or so and start getting supplies together to make soil and get my tents set up hopefully I'll be able to start my first journal on here soon, I'll just stick to topping/fim and trying tiedowns. If I do decide to do a scrog it will be in a closet just for fun.

Is a credit/debit card safe to use when I place an order? I was just going to use an international money order.. but if credit/debit is safe it would be faster that way.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful input I feel better about what I'm going to be jumping into than I did a week ago!

I use a debit card with no issues!

Perpetual grows are fairly easy to set up and cycle, I'm on my 2nd year + and the cycle continues on...cleaning is the biggest issue I've seen. I recently moved my greatly reduced stock out for a complete clean and have now refilled the room to almost overcrowding...fun stuff!!

Oh, just remembered another issue, perpetual grows takes away your life...so to speak. Unless you plan to shut down on occasion, anything longer than a few days or so vacation is out...without some serious planning and maybe help.

Thanks I think I'll use my debit card so I don't have to wait for the money to reach wherever it goes or risk it getting lost in the mail and then wait for them to send the package lol. I live in the tropics so everyday is like being on vacation here so I should be good on going on a road trip for a year or two.

The Silver Bullet Special said:
Thanks I think I'll use my debit card so I don't have to wait for the money to reach wherever it goes or risk it getting lost in the mail and then wait for them to send the package lol. I live in the tropics so everyday is like being on vacation here so I should be good on going on a road trip for a year or two.

LOL--I live in the mountains and feel the same way. However, I am hoping to make Seattle's Hemp Fest this year.

I always use a debit card and have the seeds sent to my house. I have never had any issues. Okay, well, when Overgrow and Heaven's Staircase went down I had an order into HS that I never received, but other than that, no issues ever.

Okay cool I was hoping I wouldnt have to open up a P.O. box (the book I have recommended it saying "never have seeds delivered to the house and open up a P.O. box under an alias" but now days to open a P.O. box you have to provide 3 forms of ID (least where I'm at) to open one so it's the same thing to have it sent to the home.

I'm guessing that you would have to get a medical card for that state to be able to attend and well, smoke legally at the same time? I've only seen vids and pics of hemp fest and other festivals like that. All the cool smoking stuff they have there is crazy.

The Silver Bullet Special said:
Okay cool I was hoping I wouldnt have to open up a P.O. box (the book I have recommended it saying "never have seeds delivered to the house and open up a P.O. box under an alias" but now days to open a P.O. box you have to provide 3 forms of ID (least where I'm at) to open one so it's the same thing to have it sent to the home.

I'm guessing that you would have to get a medical card for that state to be able to attend and well, smoke legally at the same time? I've only seen vids and pics of hemp fest and other festivals like that. All the cool smoking stuff they have there is crazy.

And what book would that be? I have to say that that is about the worst advise I have ever heard for ordering seeds. There is so much wrong with it that it makes me wonder about the other advise in the book.....

I do not have a med card and would be traveling from another state. I don't think that having a med card is going to be a requirement to attend and smoke--the rules get rather lax at events like this.

"Marijuana Horticulture The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Growers Bible" By Jorge Cervantes I thought it sounded a little crazy myself. I got it just to understand the basics, wasn't planning on living by this book it has some good info (That I could have easily have learned here) never knew the anatomy of pot plants (like calyxs and how to tell the difference between males and females on preflowers). Also I got the book before I joined the forum Lol.

The section on cloning was interesting in the the book says to include humidifer or fogger in the cloning room. I'm assuming this is for dry arid climates with big time cloning going on. I'm still looking into which cloning method I want to go with in the propagation forum, most likely aero for starters though.

Okay well I had to make some changes and decided to do a stealth grow. I was able to measure out a wall between my bedroom and the room next to me that has two closets in the wall. The wall is 12'L x 41"W and Both closets are 2' deep(off set from each other). The first closet's dimensions are 6'x2'x8' the second is about 5.5'x2'x8'.

The two closets are inside the same wall not back to back but caddy corner, I'm planning on taking out the 5.5' wide closet door and putting up drywall and making that closed off (Like it was never even there) and opening up the inside of the 6' wide closet to join the two together but still able to make them seperate (One for flower and one for veg). I'm still going to be using a 600W HPS in a AC hood to give me about 30k lumens total over the 5k/sq ft minimum for flowering. For vegging I may just go ahead and use the 8bulb 4' fixture (Sun Blaze has an 8bulb set up under 2' wide for $189 so it will barely fit in the closet).

For ventilation, I'm going to have the 449CFM fan up in the attic with a 6"x6"x6" wye to branch off to the veg room and the flower room to pull air up from both of those rooms at once and have it on a speed controller. I'll have an oscillating fan under the plants blowing up and across both rooms. Passive intakes will be cut into the drywall and covered to prevent light leaks (not sure how big of a hole I should make it in each room).

I still tryin to decide whether I want to have the frist closet to be a cloning place and then move the plants into the second room to finish vegging then flower and play with a scrog set up or, if I should LST, or just top and fim a few times and let it grow out. About how many plants would I be able to fit in that area?

Closet Floor Plan.jpg

sounds great---i always love to see a stealth grower in action---your grow style and size of containers will dictate how many plants you fit in the area---soil or hydro will also dictate how many you grow---whatever set up you decide---you might want to consider having 2 distinctly separate rooms each with their own entrance---mojo

Thanks! I'm doin NV's ss in 3 gal pots (Probably smart pots) With my home floor plan, to keep things as hidden best as they can this is really the only way to do it.

Do you think having both the rooms vented through one fan from a wye in the attic is a good idea. I kinda think that when I go to put the carbon filter in the flower room will the veg room pull more air because of less resistance from no filter? This one fan setup will only be temporary till I can set up afford another fan in the attic for the veg room exhaust.

There will be a physical divide between the two rooms to make the flower room light tight. Whats a good size intake that I should have for the room?

I don't think there will be any problem with using a wye on the vent. I am not sure if you can do this but I would look at putting the filter on the exaust side of the fan (in the attic) as that would make the air flow more equal for each room. You can also control the airflow for each room by the size of the intakes. If you have twice the intake volume for the flower room as the veg room then it should pull roughly twice the volume.

There are air vent covers that are louvered and screened that you can get from Lowes or HD in different sizes and colors to cover the holes for the inlet air. If your walls are standard stud walls then you can cut 4-5 smaller holes(1"-2") on the inside at the bottom 6" of the wall then on the outside of the wall you can cut the same holes but 2' higher up the wall so that the holes are offset from each other. Being inside walls, they shouldn't have any insulation which will leave an airspace of a few inches between the inner wall and outer wall. This should stop any light leaking in or out.

I actually used dryer vent covers on my cabinets and just painted them flat black. I put one on each side of the wall of the same hole and turned them both downward. They are 4" round and work very good for allowing air without allowing any light to pass through. :)

here's a couple pics of the parts I was talking about :) You can get the louvers in several different colors for putting on the outside of the walls, and the dryer vent you can paint flat black and cut a single 4" hole to mount it on the inside wall. I would put 2 of them in the flower space and 1 in the veg space :)

louvered vent cover.jpg

dryer vent.jpg

I didnt think downsizing the veg room exhaust to a 4in :doh: that would probably offset the pull enough to equal out, I just dont want to get up in the attic all to often so the filter will probably stay in the flower room. Thankfully they are standard studd walls and the return air vent is right next to where the flower closet is so I could butt right up against that with the second louvered(sp) vent to make it look like one big return air vent.

Now I just need to get the suplies all together did the price list of everything with all the things to make the soil and it turns out to be like $1200 and change without the cost in seeds. But its well worth the cost of never having to deal with the black market and crappy sketchy dealers; and could pay for itself in a few harvests. :D

Also, Hush that CAP organic carbon filter you linked me to; I've been reading reviews, also NV had a post where he did a trial and said you gotta clean those things every 2-4 weeks(after a couple of washes)? Not sure if I want to deal with that. I'm kinda wondering how good Phresh filters are are or even Can filters?

Latest posts

Back