First grow and first disaster. Broken main stem.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo27

Reaction score
Hi guys, nice to be here.
South Florida. I'm on day 38 of an organic White Widow Autoflower indoor/outdoor grow, 3 gallon pot. Plant is starting to show pre-flowers and was looking great. I take it outside for the sun and bring it in under lights for the evening and on cloudy days. Days are short this time of year, January. Yesterday one of my lights fell on the plant breaking the main stem off completely above the third node. Everything major is happening above that point but there are some tiny growing leaves that are emerging between the leaf and the stem. I'll keep it going but what are my prospects? I immediately placed the top in water to root and actually it looks like it never missed a beat. What are my chances with the "cutting"? THANKS for your advice.

Ehhhh, not that great. If you're trying to root a large top, it's gonna be hard to do since that's a lot of leaf area for nonexistent or new small roots to keep up with.
The rest of the plant will grow new branches where you noticed new growth. Since its an auto, you're gonna lose yield because you can't just give it more time before flower to recover from the setback, but it should give you SOMETHING, at least!
Hope your light is ok, that sucks all around.

Thanks for your reply!
The top is not that big, the plant is a lanknoid and was only about a foot tall with 8 nodes and sparse but increasing foliage. I'll let it root, plant it and see what happens.

It is also somewhat risky to do what you are doing. It is very easy to bring in pests and disease from outside to your growing space.

Pests are low this time of the year in South Florida and I'm only doing one plant. Nothing seems to be attracted to the cannabis and I always monitor it to the point of OCD. My "grow space" is the end of the long dinning room table! We do a lot of indoor/outdoor horticulture, never a problem.

Pests are low this time of the year in South Florida and I'm only doing one plant. Nothing seems to be attracted to the cannabis and I always monitor it to the point of OCD. My "grow space" is the end of the long dinning room table! We do a lot of indoor/outdoor horticulture, never a problem.
Watch for the white fly!

You basically topped your plant. New growth will begin after it gets over the stress of being injured. The side branches should start trying to shoot up more to make up for the center being removed. As far as saving the top I don't think it will be root again.

I'm giving up on that plant. Moving on and starting a new seed tonight. I learned a lot during my first attempt and the next grow will be better.
THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES!!

Don't get discouraged. Each grow can be a new a learning experience. Hang in there. My first grow sucked. There is an awful lot of knowledge stored in this forum and the people here are the best.

Pretty sure you can't clone Autos successfully. They might throw roots but a clone from an auto is still the same aga as the mother. Autos have a limited lifespan. Hope I am wrong. Green Mojo.

Chris628 mentioned that he didn't thing the severed top would root and it hasn't. It never collapsed and looks great in water slowly growing more pre-flowers. I'll keep it on the window sill because she looks so pretty. Meanwhile I set the next germinated seed in soil this morning, looking forward to the next grow.

Hello all, newbie here, upstate NY. I have 2 super skunk autos growing. Starting week 4 from sprout. I did some LST on both. Strangely the one plant reshaped into a ball? Weird. Looks healthy and is showing promise but I can’t figure out the shape it went into. The other plant I messed up. I broke the top during tie down, don’t know if it will recover, autoflower, so the time is limited.

8D7A8286-3708-4193-935C-475C97C42365.jpeg

It is also somewhat risky to do what you are doing. It is very easy to bring in pests and disease from outside to your growing space.
I did that once, big mistake. If I fell into a woodchipper I think I would've been better off.

I don't know about the wood chipper Josey. You can get rid of the bugs but after being ran through a wood chipper you might not come back from something like that.

giphy.gif

Damn Josey, what size shoe do you wear.....I can't get your fargin foot in.

Latest posts

Back