First grow ever!! Any tips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlayyGirl

Reaction score
Hey all!!
I am a first-time grower here! Like, I literally have no clue what I am doing and just kind of winging it. I'm an avid marijuana user and never thought of growing my own until I got older and adulting and started doing my own home gardening. I thought why the heck can't I do it? So I happened to get a bag of marijuana from a friend that had a lot of seeds in it. I saved them and did the germination thing thinking nothing would happened, and to my surprise, they sprouted!! So May 15th 2022 is the day I planted those little beauties in little containers. 5 of them in total! I have NO clue what strain they are or anything other than I got these seeds out of my bag :p. I started growing them outdoors for about 4 weeks, and then brought them in, so I could control the enviornment. I think that is why they are kind of stretched at the bottom? So as of now they are 10 weeks old and this is how they are looking....I water and feed them as needed and are in a 1 gallon container...I have 2 LED grow lights and then a 5 - wand grow light that changes light color, so currently I have that set in the blue lighting for vegetative growth. My light schedule currently is 18/6...But I am thinking of switching them over to12/12 since I dont have too much space. Could these plants handle that? Oh and the figuring out if they are male or female...I have no clue what they are!! I thought they were females growing but now it looks like more leaves? As you can tell Im pretty clueless. Im pretty shocked that they have made it this far honestly! I do take care of them every day and consider them my babies, but the information out there is just soo much and I would love to hear tips and advice from actual growers. Especially since my plants look nothing like what I see online lol If you made it this far in this thank you!!

Attachments

• ALL.jpg
    ALL.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 0
  • #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 0
  • #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 0
  • #3.jpg
    #3.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 0
I would flip to flower mode and get your first grow under your belt. Get it over with and in the process of changing to a 12/12 HOUR your plants will show their sex then you can kill the males if you choose to just think if you wait another two months and all of them is males you would have wasted all that time for nothing happy growing

Plants usually stretch to get closer to the light source. You lights are likely to high above the plants. Topping them would help the new growth lower down to grow. Do you have a fan blowing in them? That will help to make the main stem sturdier. It is hard to give you guidance without a lot more information. Soil, nutrients, type of LED’s, etc are all clues needed to provide constructive advice. I would suggest doing a lot of reading of other new growers journals. You will learn a lot of what is right and what is wrong. As your plants stand right now, if you flip to flower lighting, you will probably need to stake it to support the weight of the buds.

I don’t think they are ready to be put in flower yet. You want some of that inner node growth to grow a bit more to get a few more cola sites. is there a reason you can’t put them outside? I don’t know if it’s legal where you are. Otherwise, I would top them to get that inner node growth growing even if you continue inside. Good luck and I think your plants look fine. may want to look at some feeding schedules. What kind of soil are you using?

If you lower the lights, do it in steps of a couple to a few inches a day to allow the plants to acclimate to the higher intensity. I should have stated that in my original reply. With LEDs, you can get the plant tops pretty close to the lights, depending on the intensity of the LED units

Hey all!!
I am a first-time grower here! Like, I literally have no clue what I am doing and just kind of winging it. I'm an avid marijuana user and never thought of growing my own until I got older and adulting and started doing my own home gardening. I thought why the heck can't I do it? So I happened to get a bag of marijuana from a friend that had a lot of seeds in it. I saved them and did the germination thing thinking nothing would happened, and to my surprise, they sprouted!! So May 15th 2022 is the day I planted those little beauties in little containers. 5 of them in total! I have NO clue what strain they are or anything other than I got these seeds out of my bag :p. I started growing them outdoors for about 4 weeks, and then brought them in, so I could control the enviornment. I think that is why they are kind of stretched at the bottom? So as of now they are 10 weeks old and this is how they are looking....I water and feed them as needed and are in a 1 gallon container...I have 2 LED grow lights and then a 5 - wand grow light that changes light color, so currently I have that set in the blue lighting for vegetative growth. My light schedule currently is 18/6...But I am thinking of switching them over to12/12 since I dont have too much space. Could these plants handle that? Oh and the figuring out if they are male or female...I have no clue what they are!! I thought they were females growing but now it looks like more leaves? As you can tell Im pretty clueless. Im pretty shocked that they have made it this far honestly! I do take care of them every day and consider them my babies, but the information out there is just soo much and I would love to hear tips and advice from actual growers. Especially since my plants look nothing like what I see online lol If you made it this far in this thank you!!
Ph ph ph get it right…(ph up/down kits available to buy), don’t even bother growing if u don’t.

If those plants are sativa at this point they are so tall when you flip the 12/12 lighting you will have to super crop to train the plants to stay low ( Super Croping articles are online I suggest reading several of them with pictures, then jump on board).

That’s the best advice I can give you. So read read read

I don’t pH. With organic nutes and soil, as long as your water supply isn’t really off, you can get away with not checking or adjusting pH. I have done it for years. I screwed myself by trying chemical nutes once and pH’ing would have helped(sickly looking plants). I don’t grow professionally nor for weight. I grow for myself and the buzz.

I don’t pH. With organic nutes and soil, as long as your water supply isn’t really off, you can get away with not checking or adjusting pH. I have done it for years. I screwed myself by trying chemical nutes once and pH’ing would have helped(sickly looking plants). I don’t grow professionally nor for weight. I grow for myself and the buzz.
That’s interesting…info. thnx.
St Louis water has a pH of 9 to 10, alkalinity out of control. I wonder why my first Grows all had sickly looking brown leaves spots or yellowing, but herb was good yield OK… now for the past five grows I’ve been all green healthy flowering plants…100% improvement after Ph to 6-6.6 range.
Been using Fox Farm Nuits, Cow process dung & Hoffman Chicken manure pellets !
😎

Yikes! 9-10? I read municipality’s raise the pH to save the pipes but that seems excessive. My water was always 7 give or take when I had a pH pen. Haven’t checked it in a long time but I trust they haven’t changed their process much as my plants(veggies, fruit, ornamentals and cannabis) all do well with it. Sounds like pH’ing is a must there. Maybe it has something to do with aquifers and limestone (maybe) in your area. I’m in Taxachusetts.

Yikes! 9-10? I read municipality’s raise the pH to save the pipes but that seems excessive. My water was always 7 give or take when I had a pH pen. Haven’t checked it in a long time but I trust they haven’t changed their process much as my plants(veggies, fruit, ornamentals and cannabis) all do well with it. Sounds like pH’ing is a must there. Maybe it has something to do with aquifers and limestone (maybe) in your area. I’m in Taxachusetts.
How funny, I was born in Scituate Mass. & moved to Chicago in “72 … my dad like u always called Massachusetts taxachusetts…
Anyway, ph test samples here turn water “purple” off the charts.
I’ve made several friends wives aware of this for watering house plants, & now they go thru extra pain in the ass of properly ph water & wow my plants actually grow…they say, yep we are living on limestone here in MO.

Plants usually stretch to get closer to the light source. You lights are likely to high above the plants. Topping them would help the new growth lower down to grow. Do you have a fan blowing in them? That will help to make the main stem sturdier. It is hard to give you guidance without a lot more information. Soil, nutrients, type of LED’s, etc are all clues needed to provide constructive advice. I would suggest doing a lot of reading of other new growers journals. You will learn a lot of what is right and what is wrong. As your plants stand right now, if you flip to flower lighting, you will probably need to stake it to support the weight of the buds.
Thanks for the advice...I will look into topping them...I do have a fan blowing on them and 2 different angles so the air flow is good along with the temp and humidity. So like I said I really had no clue what I was doing and just went for it, so I used just Miracle Gro potting mix. The grow "twice as big" . And then for nutrients I am currently using Fox Farm grow big once a week. I will also look into getting better lighting!

I don’t think they are ready to be put in flower yet. You want some of that inner node growth to grow a bit more to get a few more cola sites. is there a reason you can’t put them outside? I don’t know if it’s legal where you are. Otherwise, I would top them to get that inner node growth growing even if you continue inside. Good luck and I think your plants look fine. may want to look at some feeding schedules. What kind of soil are you using?
Yeahhh outside is not an option where I live (Neighbors are nosy as heck) I am going to look into topping and stronger lighting! I do currently feed them once a week with fox farm grow big. I also used miracle gro for the soil...lol..like I said I just kind of went for it!!

Ph ph ph get it right…(ph up/down kits available to buy), don’t even bother growing if u don’t.

If those plants are sativa at this point they are so tall when you flip the 12/12 lighting you will have to super crop to train the plants to stay low ( Super Croping articles are online I suggest reading several of them with pictures, then jump on board).

That’s the best advice I can give you. So read read read
Crap...Thankfully I have a 12 foot room lol...Ill check PH too..always hear about it but never think its important. Like I said I kind of just am winging it from random seeds I found from a bag of weed...Its alll for personal use so I mean I am just going with it! Just wanted to see what others thought of them..I have some reading up to do! Thanks for the advice

Not to be an ass or anything, but it depends on your starting pH. Some people are blessed with 6.4-6.5 but most of us have alkaline water.
You have to test your waters pH and then adjust from theree as well as your run off. I've had soil where I pH it at 5.5 and run off came out at 8. As a result of microbiome creating an alkaline environment (no usual). The plants didn't fair too well and had nutritional deficiencies.
Check pre (going into the soil) and post (after the water soaks all the soil and leaks out) and adjust accordingly. Especially if you do organic. The microorganisms can only do so much. The pH scale is logarithmic meaning that every point above target, you're 10 times off on the H+ ion.
I'm a biochemist by trade.

Latest posts

Back