First grow ever!! Any tips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to be an ass or anything, but it depends on your starting pH. Some people are blessed with 6.4-6.5 but most of us have alkaline water.
You have to test your waters pH and then adjust from theree as well as your run off. I've had soil where I pH it at 5.5 and run off came out at 8. As a result of microbiome creating an alkaline environment (no usual). The plants didn't fair too well and had nutritional deficiencies.
Check pre (going into the soil) and post (after the water soaks all the soil and leaks out) and adjust accordingly. Especially if you do organic. The microorganisms can only do so much. The pH scale is logarithmic meaning that every point above target, you're 10 times off on the H+ ion.
I'm a biochemist by trade.
Thank you! I’ll look into that as well.. appreciate the advice

I went down a rabbit hole this morning to look into my municipal water supply and I am lucky. My water supply(for the part of the town I live in) is supplied by Worcester MA and they maintain their pH at around 7.5. It looks like that is not necessarily the norm so checking your pH as others have suggested is a good idea. Your plants look healthy though. I think they just need more light. I will say you must have a green thumb to have gotten this far and having such healthy looking plants without seeking input from growers. Thanks for the soil and nute info. I think people who use the MG soil you have add perlite for drainage but there are plenty of really nice looking plants grown in MG on here. Keep up the good work and welcome to the forum.

Yeahhh outside is not an option where I live (Neighbors are nosy as heck) I am going to look into topping and stronger lighting! I do currently feed them once a week with fox farm grow big. I also used miracle gro for the soil...lol..like I said I just kind of went for it!!
Tell the neighbors they are Eastern Canadian Ferns.

1659009665643.png

1659009586588.png

Thanks for the advice...I will look into topping them...I do have a fan blowing on them and 2 different angles so the air flow is good along with the temp and humidity. So like I said I really had no clue what I was doing and just went for it, so I used just Miracle Gro potting mix. The grow "twice as big" . And then for nutrients I am currently using Fox Farm grow big once a week. I will also look into getting better lighting!
1659009987307.png

U mentioned topping which is different than super cropping, just making sure you understand that… any plants that I top are usually very young,
Super cropping comes into play when I realize I can’t tame them (Just have some clear tape on hand I prefer 5/8 or wider accidents do happen), but every one of my plants have recovered.
See Pic attached right plant at top, Sativa dominant hybrids I developed
(OG Kush x GSC)=Gangster Girl
I’m sure more than enough opinions here, but a novice friend of mine just got two Bestva 1500 (195 watts true power pull) Led lights for his small home grow 4x4 tent & he uses Miricle grow organic & Fox Farm trio Nuits (u use one of them) & proper ph…his plants are just fine. Only grows 4.

((My personal soil is a 4 part mix of
1-Fox Farm Ocean Forest
30% 4-1-1 KelpMainly

2-Black Gold Organic Potting Soil-AceHardware Kirkwood
30% 05-0-0

3-StLouis Composting Raised Bed Mix(Valley Park, MO.)
20% .5-0-0
(this is more of a heavier loam soil, I like it for improved nutrient water retention)

4-Black Kow Brand-Cow Manure , Home Depo etc
20% .5-.5-.5

5-Hoffman Super Manure
(Chicken Manure Pellets)
((2-3 tsp per 3-4gallon pot@ top of soil
NPK 4-2-3 ,,,Mix into top 1” of soil 1x month)- Amazon))
Some pics below, everybody happy :)
If u have any questions just private message me if u want no problem, I am certainly no expert but I do like to help people if I can 🎶

C5E56750-B42F-4421-91CB-BE156348D310.png
CE15C474-3FE2-4478-A601-524184943884.png

Plants are autoflowers Sativa dominant

I don’t pH. With organic nutes and soil, as long as your water supply isn’t really off, you can get away with not checking or adjusting pH. I have done it for years. I screwed myself by trying chemical nutes once and pH’ing would have helped(sickly looking plants). I don’t grow professionally nor for weight. I grow for myself and the buzz.
I stopped ph measuring as well, but I use Advanced Nutrient products which are ph stable. Just mix with RO water. I was a little nervous, but dammed if it didn't work!

Solution is around 5.8ish, little lower than my "PHing" days, but they show no signs of problems, and lower leaves stay green almost to the very end. Very impressed with Advanced Nutrient products. Expensive, but work better than all I've tried.

Bubba

Last edited:
Slaygirl I also grow in MG. Make sure you add about 30% perlite to your soil. My girls are very happy in that soil. You will eventually need to start adding ferts. I use FF ferts. I don't like their soils but I love there nutrients.

Slaygirl I also grow in MG. Make sure you add about 30% perlite to your soil. My girls are very happy in that soil. You will eventually need to start adding ferts. I use FF ferts. I don't like their soils but I love there nutrients.
Hops just how far are you getting with the MG before adding any additional Ferts.
Like at what point , end of veg.................. a few weeks into flower .................or even longer
Just wondering

About 8 weeks. I know the soil says it feeds a lot longer but I find my girls do better if I start feeding after 2 months. And I have no burning.
I use FF Grow Big and CalMag. Alaska Fish Fertilizer, EM-1, Molasses, and Super thrive during vegg.
During flowering I use FF Tiger Bloom and CalMag,EM1,and Super Thrive and sometimes a little Molasses. If they need a little nitrogen I add Alaskan Fish Fertilizer.

Last edited:
I stopped ph measuring as well, but I use Advanced Nutrient products which are ph stable. Just mix with RO water. I was a little nervous, but dammed if it didn't work!

Solution is around 5.8ish, little lower than my "PHing" days, but they show no signs of problems, and lower leaves stay green almost to the very end. Very impressed with Advanced Nutrient products. Expensive, but work better than all I've tried.

Bubba
From earlier posts you have made about AN, I am planning on giving it a try when I run out of my K4L nutes. Not trying to hijack this thread but which of the pH Perfect lines do you use?

So ask alot of questions because there is a never ending learing process is step 1..

Growing seeds from bag weed [which I do myself my bud of the month entry on here is bag seed] but down side is the weed had seeds for 1 of 2 reasons a male pollinated the plant o it hermd or was pollinated by a plant that hermd in either of the later 2 the plant will have the strong likely hood of self pollinating (herming) this cam be very frustrating if u spent 3 months paying to play with it and end up with a plant full of seeds or all the grow with seeds

Just keep that in mind pure genetics pay the bills and typically we pay for them for a reason rather then use bag seeds 😉

Again playing with bag seeds is fine and a good way to learn just expect that it may not yield what your comparing it to on here. But again I have a plant posted on here and as far as I can see and feel no seeds bit u never know till u break it up some times.

Pot size and material matter. Lighting matters. Air circulation and exhaust. Temptress of grow area being able to control it as well as the humidity in grow area. Total darkness will be needed if using photo period seeds.
How funny, I was born in Scituate Mass. & moved to Chicago in “72 … my dad like u always called Massachusetts taxachusetts…
Anyway, ph test samples here turn water “purple” off the charts.
I’ve made several friends wives aware of this for watering house plants, & now they go thru extra pain in the ass of properly ph water & wow my plants actually grow…they say, yep we are living on limestone here in MO.
I live in Hingham 😉

Hi Slayygirl welcome to Marijuana Passion. I'm a girl to. Sometimes my name is confusing.

Watering is very important don't drown your babies. Less water is better than more. I'm still getting a hang of watering.
Have fun growing.

Hey all!!
I am a first-time grower here! Like, I literally have no clue what I am doing and just kind of winging it. I'm an avid marijuana user and never thought of growing my own until I got older and adulting and started doing my own home gardening. I thought why the heck can't I do it? So I happened to get a bag of marijuana from a friend that had a lot of seeds in it. I saved them and did the germination thing thinking nothing would happened, and to my surprise, they sprouted!! So May 15th 2022 is the day I planted those little beauties in little containers. 5 of them in total! I have NO clue what strain they are or anything other than I got these seeds out of my bag :p. I started growing them outdoors for about 4 weeks, and then brought them in, so I could control the enviornment. I think that is why they are kind of stretched at the bottom? So as of now they are 10 weeks old and this is how they are looking....I water and feed them as needed and are in a 1 gallon container...I have 2 LED grow lights and then a 5 - wand grow light that changes light color, so currently I have that set in the blue lighting for vegetative growth. My light schedule currently is 18/6...But I am thinking of switching them over to12/12 since I dont have too much space. Could these plants handle that? Oh and the figuring out if they are male or female...I have no clue what they are!! I thought they were females growing but now it looks like more leaves? As you can tell Im pretty clueless. Im pretty shocked that they have made it this far honestly! I do take care of them every day and consider them my babies, but the information out there is just soo much and I would love to hear tips and advice from actual growers. Especially since my plants look nothing like what I see online lol If you made it this far in this thank you!!
They look beautiful for your first grow amazing!

Thank you! I’ll look into that as well.. appreciate the advice
Not bad at all for your first grow. They look beautiful. Excellent advise from everyone as well. Every growmie I know gets obsessed with growing. They are always reading and researching everything there is to know about growing. Best hobby by far! Something that is hard to do.. but not really, is keeping a grow journal. Best advise I can give you is start a journal. Log everything. Everything. You'll be surprised at how much stuff you'll forget. And you'll always have that journal to look back and use it.. especially for preventive measures. Get used to the weight of your plant also. Before and after watering. I think more plants have died from water problems than any other problems. .. my opinion of course. Another thing to think about is next seasons grow. You'll always be thinking of that. Find a good seed bank and order some nice strains. You'll be glad you did. And there are a lot of reputable seed banks out there. Safe and discreet. You have obviously made some good choices already. Your plant looks healthy.. and you are here 😊

Well not much going on sooo
double double trouble 2 Tangiematics autos to a pot , a little SOG Sea of Green action if u will !!!

290435E4-4B4A-4078-B5A8-3AFB42EB981F.png

I’ll pollinate the Sativa Pheno picture above again with some Sativa African pollen ???
(I always like surprises)!
Tangie Auto Sativa dominant Phenos selected & pollinated last year for Tangie seeds, F1’s growing in pic below/above.
fun project free seeds…

Did 2 per pot with GSC autos last spring worked out well…tall Phenos selected previous grow for pollination & F1 seeds for tall plants…about 1/3 ended up at 28-30”… worked well with two in the pot.
Really fills the old Tent up, lot of pruning/tucking & some super cropping to fill up those empty spaces…Probably Should buy a Scrog net someday or whatever they call it.
346CE40E-2E84-41F3-9565-B1F4AD3B27DF.jpeg

We’ll just more info if anybody ever wondered about double potting, avg Yld for GSC & Tangiematic about 1.2–2.4 Oz per plt range…using cloth Grow bags 3 or 4 gallon,
4 part soil, 4-blurple 300/400WLEDs 590W wall power pull, Blackstrap molasses, FF trio Nuits & Hoffman dried Ck Manure!

22 days now, the Sativa above has a 1”x 3/4” white sweet flower…. 🥹

Definitely gonna need a scrog. Those little beauties are gonna be a handful.. more like a wheelbarrowfull. Very nice.
Thnx…
Ok, not trying to steal this thread just trying to help the first time grower etc. etc.
With that said yes I would probably agree a net needed to spread their wings…these plants have been rotated between outside and inside first time experience for me, growth has averaged between 1 3/4” and 2 1/2” inches per day outside I was shocked…

Thnx…
Ok, not trying to steal this thread just trying to help the first time grower etc. etc.
With that said yes I would probably agree a net needed to spread their wings…these plants have been rotated between outside and inside first time experience for me, growth has averaged between 1 3/4” and 2 1/2” inches per day outside I was shocked…

6.25” shrimps 3 days ago in the tent, now 11.5–14” tall
3 DAYS of Sun, now back to tent…. :(
05CF8B86-B111-4935-9F09-07B8E0D4FBD6.jpeg
2FF492C9-24BB-4379-9D78-4188A597153B.jpeg

From earlier posts you have made about AN, I am planning on giving it a try when I run out of my K4L nutes. Not trying to hijack this thread but which of the pH Perfect lines do you use?
First two weeks of veg and first two weeks of flower they get the beneficial, tarantula, piranha, and one other that slips my mind...

Fed with bud candy and carbo load. When flower starts, connoisseur a and b, big bud, b-52, few others. Cal mag of course.

See sticking in indoor growing on one members thread where he uses and compared several brands, I follow his AN protocol

https://www.marijuanapassion.com/threads/nute-study.50463/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back