First Grow - Kali Mist and a Mystery seed or two!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wantstogrowbuds

Reaction score
First time growing. Got all my gear. Started them off a few days ago. Got 10 healthy looking little sprouts, hopefully 5-6 will be ladies. Got them under two CFL lights at the moment. Giving them 14-16 hours of light. Air hockey table fan running at 135 cfm all the time. They seem to like the cool air and it helps to keep my light cool. No yellowing, nice and green looking. Still have their baby leaves but have starting growing their big leaves. They seem to be stretching but that would be something you guys could critique for me, tall strain as its a sativa. When would be a good time to put them under the big girl lights? I got 1000w mh/hps combo vented with a stealth 435cfm fan when I do the change. Also when should I transplant them? they are currently in jiffy cups. Any tips for a first time grower? Pics below of the little darlings as well as a picture of my pup for a laugh.

View attachment gro1.jpg

View attachment gro2.jpg

View attachment gro3.jpg

View attachment grow4.jpg

View attachment Mojo.jpg

nice doggy, plants too stretched, get the light closer and transplant them by burying the overstretched stem

Also, 14 to 16 hours of light is not enough. That is at least part of the reason they are stretching. Turn the lights on, get them close, and leave them on. Most of us veg with a 24/7 light schedule. At this age, regardless of whether it is a sativa or not, it should not be stretching like that.

You will have at least a couple of weeks before you need to worry about transplanting. Do not feed them until the cotydons start yellowing. What soil are you using and what do you plan on feeding them? I love me a good sativa. You did pick a longer flowering strain...hope you can be patient to see her through a 10-12 week flowering period. Where did you get the Kali Mist seeds? Are they fems? Where did the mystery seeds come from?

Yeah, it is what I feared then. Okay so I'll get some solo cups tomorrow, do a little burying and get the light closer and on for longer. Also, question on watering, we are a little unsure about what they need and are kinda playing it by ear(first grow after all), should we soak the soil before planting? and after that how much is the standard dose of water. The soil we are using is 0.14 for all three categories. Literally the only soil they had at the store. With that in mind what should we be feeding them? You guys are experienced and you probably have a lot of these questions so sorry to annoy but thanks for the help. Maybe its not enough light, that could be another problem. Would you recommend scrapping the CFLs and jumping to the MH? Might be harder on the light bill but would be worth it for healthier plants. May stop the stretching to am I right?

Also, they are not feminized. So I'm hoping at least 50% turn out as ladies. Probably gonna go the clone route after this batch. My friend grew this strain about a year ago and those were the seeds he used. He had good results apparently. Mystery seeds from the same guy.

zem and THG are giving good suggestions. They will not steer you wrong. I agree, lights on 24/7 and closer with the CFL`s, maybe 2". I use LED`s, so can`t give you any advice about them. Don`t soak the soil, just good and damp for seedlings. Am concerned about your soil being too heavy, as regular potting soil stays wet too long, needs perlite to help with drainage. IMO.

I agree. I also found the soil to clump a bit in some of the pots. I hear bad things about air pockets so I want to avoid that. Also, some day I would like to use an LED. That was my first plan but I ran into a good deal. What ratio do you mix your Perllite and soil? It does have a little bit of perlite in it as far as I can see but probably not enough.

I use Sunshine Mix #4 and it has quite a bit in it.

I never use soil with nutrients in it to start plants. I live in a tiny tiny town and order what I cannot get on the internet. You will probably have to do that for nutes, if your town is so small that you cannot find soil without nutrients in it.

Air pockets are a rarity. In over 30 years of growing this has never been a problem. However, perlite is a good addition to help with drainage and keep the soil from being too wet. Keep damp, but not wet. You will not need nutrients until the cotydons start to yellow, but get something now so that you are prepared. I recommend nutrients formulated for cannabis. Do not just get some miracle grow or scotts as cannabis has specific needs and wants that a general fertilizer cannot meet (besides Monsanto is raping the earth). I personal like General Hydroponic Flora series nutes, which can be used for both soil and hydro. Other people have their personal favorites.

Do not use the MH yet as the plants are not big enough for this intensity of light. Add some more CFLs and get the lights close. And keep them on all the time. If the space is big, you might want to put some kind of temporary reflective surface close to the plants. As you are underlit, this is just being exacerbated by the fact that the light is being disbursed throughout the entire space.

Ok, so we transplanted the poor little fellas into some solo cups with some holes punched in em. Upgraded the CFL to a bigger size, put my reflective hood on top of an end table(had glass in center just lifted it up and plopped the hood on it) and boosted em up with a toy UFC octagon from the dollarstore(impulse buy) and am giving them light 24/7. Hope they react better to this environment. Still got the fan going at them to cool off the light a bit and give em some air, good idea? Anyhow, going to post a picture of the new environment once they are all settled in probably tomorrow. Poor guys, its been a day.

I'm addicted to caring for plants now. I can see this is gonna be quite the hobby. :) CHEERS!

So, they didn't stretch as much this time over night with the new environment and the leaves are getting bigger. One of the plants has two of the other little leaves coming out so he'll be our first with 4! We switched to a 40w CFL instead of two 23's but we may try and introduce the other two once we find out how were gonna work that. They stretched a little after we transplanted them because we weren't able to get this environment up and running as quick as we would have liked due to valentines day hustle and bustle. But here are some pictures. Also, they may have to go without some light tonight cause its storming out and god knows the power will go out eventually. Gonna try and find a nice place to put them and let them relax if this does happen. Anyhow, here are some new pictures. These guys are 5 days old.

View attachment g1.jpg

View attachment g2.jpg

View attachment g3.jpg

View attachment g4.jpg

View attachment g5.jpg

View attachment Mojo1.jpg

Some good looking kiddos there. I usually do 2:1 soil to perlite if the mix I get doesn't already have perlite in it. I've gone as high as 1:1 for seedlings if the soil is too hot or seems to be retaining more water than normal. I'll do less than 2:1 if the soil already seems to have decent drainage. Too much perlite just means you'll need to water more often, otherwise there's no real harm in putting extra if you're having issues with soggy soil.

EDIT: As an aside, don't get miracle gro perlite, they add nutes. I just buy a giant bag on Amazon, it lasts forever.

Remove the mirror. Mirrors do not reflect light--it is doping more harm than gppod. Remember that just because something looks reflective does not mean that it is. Mirrors and aluminum foil are good examples.

Also all your light should be over the tops of the plants. Plants do not want or like to have the underside of their leaves lit.

Ok, so I'm about 2 1/2 weeks in now. Small (nute from soil?) burns on about 3 of the plants, almost not able to notice anymore. Some of them have stretched a little much with their side arms, two of them are afflicted by this. Other than that I think they look nice and healthy. Gonna buy some soil and/or nutes today. Any good websites that ship to Canada for free or cheap and where do you guys order? Here are 3 pictures. Soon will need more space I think. Before watering so a little droopy, I'll be taking care of that soon.

View attachment 2week.jpg

View attachment 2w.jpg

View attachment 2w2.jpg

If I got Advanced Nutrients jungle juice and some Canna Bio Terra Plus would that work well for me? I'd be transplanting when I start veg into the new soil from just a general stock soil you'd get at Walmart (not best option, first mistake) Would they click well? and it says that it is pre-fertilized with some things like bat guano and stuff like that would that mess with fertilizing for me? Any help here would be mucho appreciated. I want these ladies to be healthy :)

I use Jungle Juice three part and also supplement with calmag, I also have AN Overdrive that came free as a sample. Probably try JJ by itself with just the calmag after I run out to see if there is a difference. You could also try GH 3 part , people on here use it with lots of success. Don't know about the Canna stuff.

Latest posts

Back