First Grow need some critique

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n2bud

Reaction score
This is my first ever grow and i was just seeing if i was doing alright. I have 4 cfls with different light spectrums and two 2ft flourescents. i know i probably need more light and i am working on getting an hps for the flowering period. i have the lights set to 18/6 and am watering about every 2-3 days. Also i have not started using nutes yet and am about to transplant into larger 3 gal containers. also if u look at the 5th picture u can see that there are only 3 main leaves instead of four like the others. i was just wondering what that means. thanks for ur help ahead of time.

S3010009.JPG

S3010010.JPG

S3010011.JPG

S3010013.JPG

S3010014.JPG

S3010015.JPG

Your babies are looking great. Might wanna get some drainage holes in those cups. Your one baby might only have 3 leaves because it's behind the other's as far as growing. Nothing to worry about IMHO.

there are some holes in the bottom that i poked out before i put them in there. also this is after about 2 weeks of growing. i figure by the end of this week i will transplant them. after that when should i start to feed them and what would u suggest. i know that fox farms is really good but i was looking for something that i could get at walmart, maybe miracle grow or something. and i know that the soil has enough fert to feed them for like 2-3 weeks, so does that hold true when i put them in the new containers with new soil? thanks

n2bud said:
there are some holes in the bottom that i poked out before i put them in there. also this is after about 2 weeks of growing. i figure by the end of this week i will transplant them. after that when should i start to feed them and what would u suggest. i know that fox farms is really good but i was looking for something that i could get at walmart, maybe miracle grow or something. and i know that the soil has enough fert to feed them for like 2-3 weeks, so does that hold true when i put them in the new containers with new soil? thanks
Sorry didn't see the holes in the cups. :eek: IMHO I would try and get something other than MG nutes when it comes time. What brand of soil are you using? Is it Miracle-Gro Potting mix that feeds plants up to 3 months? If so you can do without any nutes until you put them into flower that's what we do. Once we put them into flower we wait 2 or 3 weeks then start feeding them with Fox Farm Big Bloom every other watering and they love it.

One time I had a plant that produced only three leaves, and the bud turned out... well, weird, and mutated, but still had trichs so I am going to make hash out of it (forgot I even had it sittin around, lol). It was a clone, though. Your babies do look healthy, though.

yeah i am using the miracle-gro potting soil so i might try waiting until flowering and then use something good like fox farms. also shouldnt it be about a month and a half more until flowering and then flowering for a month or am i totally off. im just trying to gauge when i will be able to harvest my babies.

as far as i know time is not the best judge for flowering and instead wait for alternating nodes vs the opposites you have also flowering depends on what strain sativa will take longer than indica. also when you get to flowering what will be your lighting 2700k or less is optimum as that is spectrum for promoting budding/flowering you can pick up cfls at that range cheap. as to time for flowering i think its about 8or9 weeks for sativa. hope this helps

When u transplant get new normal soil!

Your girls look good. I would try and find some Fox Farm

n2bud said:
yeah i am using the miracle-gro potting soil so i might try waiting until flowering and then use something good like fox farms. also shouldnt it be about a month and a half more until flowering and then flowering for a month or am i totally off. im just trying to gauge when i will be able to harvest my babies.
IMHO you should wait until you see alternating nodes before putting your plants into flower. Alternating nodes is a sign that your plant is mature and ready to go. Your looking at about 3 months for an entire grow from seed to bud give or take a week or so.

ok cool. so would u suggest starting with new unfertilized soil and nute immediately or should i stick with the fertilized stuff and wait for flowering to start nuting?

I would change the soil whenever you are transplanting into your next pots. It isn't that the nutes are bad or anything... it is that u cannot control how much is getting to the plants.

i got ya. so since there are no places where i live that sell fox farms where is a good place to buy it online? i was thinking about getting the trio pack, but how much do i need to finish everything off? btw thanks for everyones help.

A litre of hydro nutes goes a long way in ground. However I'm not familiar w/ foxfarms products. Pretty much any kinda hydro nutes are good.

any brands in particular that u have used and have good experience with?

Advanced and Fox Farm seem to be the most popular. I use Fox Farm myself. I do the same as TBG, I use MG soil, and will start the Fox Farm Big Bloom after about 15 days of flowering, every other feeding.

I've always used DNR... very easy to use 2 part nutes... either that or advanced.

Latest posts

Back