First grow questions -

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chefboyrd420 said:
:yeahthat:

Keep an eye on me dirty. I could use your opinion quite often it seems. I use oceanforest and my plant keeps getting slight signs of nute burn and i couldnt figure out why. I check ph regularly and dont over water or use to many nutes. Im cutting the tiger bloom back to half strength today. Its almost time to flush it anyway.

Hi Chef...

GLAD to meet you... I'm digging your posts here at OHC's thread... How old are your plants? If they are past the seedling stage and flowering then I suspect exactly what you are... too much nute strength. FFOF is some great stuff... BUT imho your plants growing in FFOF only needs a *gentle* nudge of nutes from the bottle to get the very best results. You mention that you don't over water, right? Meaning that you water thoroughly when you do water and then let the top inch or two of the soil surface to thoroughly dry out between watering/feeding? Maybe the best thing to do now is to wait til they are nice and dry and ready for the next watering and give them a bit of a 'flush' with nothing but ph'd water... Give them plain ph'd water until you get a fair amount of runoff in your saucers or set them in the bath tub and water silly... (watch out for perlite going down the drain! ;))

I used FFOF with Tiger Bloom for years and it's some great stuff but their 'recommended' dosage is much too strong imho... Especially with FFOF soil. Give them a good flush... then wait 3-4 days til the soil surface dries out again and then give them 1/4 to 1/3 strength nutes and watch the new growth/leaves emerging. If you don't see *any hint* of nute burn then s-l-o-w-l-y increase the nute strength... Do you use Big Bloom? It's some great stuff too and works hand in hand with Tiger Bloom...

I hope this gets you back on track Chefboyd... If you've been feeding them full strength or worse yet... I started out growing in hydro for years and when I was a newbie in soil I knew something was working and figured it was the Tiger Bloom so I would give them MUCH more than full strength and wonder why I had nute burn and salts building up in my soil... :confused: DUH! I finally put 2 + 2 together... and really hold back on the nute strength for the past 5 years or so and my buds keep getting more and more dank... When it comes to nutes added to organic soil imho... less is more...

Sorry to hijack your thread OHC.... but I thought the info I was passing on to the Chef is also useful for you to file away too...

Peace!:cool:

Thanks dirty. the link on my signature is my first indoor grow, which i am nearing the end of. I believe your right, but i dont want to steal OHC's thread so if ya get a chance check me out.

Today I'm in the "I'm scared and it's more than I can handle" state of mind. I've been doing the math and never realized I'd probably have to invest a grand to see a first grow in my 5x7 room.

I've been shopping around today for a smaller stealth cabinet already made.... hmmmmm at least twice the investment for a fraction of the space but someone else has done the carpentry work for me. I did searches here and feel the majority of the posters are down on the commercial cabinets and are much more talented in the carpentry and mechanics than the typical stealth cabinet customer would be - however I'm sure I could stomp their a**es in a "grow room decorating contest" but sadly that's not a viable talent in this instance.....

On a serious note, my reflector hood only has one 4" air flange. The other one was blocked off by the previous owner - it was the last of a grow house break down inventory and was custom modified.... I guess if I go with the room plan I could just suck it up and buy a new hood.... Not a disaster as it was $125 for the ballast, hood and a timer he threw in. Could repost it on CL and recoup and restart from there..... my mind is spinning - all I am firm on is that I will be using soil and my third baby girl just showed today so time is a factor.

I wish I could just hire a contractor to do the ventilation and add some plugs but cant think of ANY legit reason for such a job.... frozen with indecisiveness today - it'll pass.... I'm venting over ventilation.....

Ventilation can be tough if you are not a handy person--you need to use "big boy tools" to drill or cut holes in the floor, ceiling, and/or walls. You may be forced to call a handyman since, I am pretty sure that you do not have the tools to do this. If you live in a large place, I would just call a handyman service and tell them where you want holes drilled. If they ask you why, just look at them with the most haughty face you can muster and say something like, "I don't see where that is any of your business." (or maybe we can concoct some decent cover story). I use large tools all the time, but still have accidents--they can be very dangerous. About a year ago while drilling out bucket lids with a holesaw, I cut the knuckle of my left hand thumb and partially severed the tendon. It took a while to sew up and will never quite work the same. If you are not comfortable with large 1/2" drills and recip saws, we need to figure out a way for you to hire this done.

I would also recommend that you buy some good quality flat white paint rather than using the semi-gloss you have. There is enough difference in the reflectibility to make it worthwhile.

It all depends how ghetto you want to go, I too have problems venting as I am renting this house and didn't want to cut any holes.

Im using 1200 watts total without any holes or direct outside ventilation.
Just a bed room closet, I have a large box fan hung in the closet door frame at the top, blowing out. a 20" reciprocating fan down low blowing in.

It takes keeping the bedroom window open or cracked in the wintertime or the AC on in the summer. I control the growroom temps by controlling the bedroom temps.

Gotta be able to open and shut the closet doors each night once flowering.
Gotta be able to let it smell a bit without worry.

Check out the grows in my sig, it can be done for less.

Thanks for the replies Goddess and Growdude. I've spotted a tent package that might reduce the stress.... still would need ventilation but without the other components to install - seems reasonable.....
Growdude I got nothin against ghetto - I just don't have any man work talent :fid: TBH I'm worried about the neighbors - they complained that the last guy who lived here smoked pot out in his truck..... smell is a concern.

So here's what I've spotted.....any obvious flaws? I think I've firmly decided to order some auto flower seeds.... and possibly this package...
hxxp://www.hydrowholesale.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=hydro&Product_Code=HHORG2X4&Category_Code=CHGK
I'd want to add the air cooled cylinder reflector and the inline fan and duct reducer options to pipe the heat out. Of course I'd still have to do something with the heat but wondering if it could just be piped into the house as a source for winter heating? any thoughts? thanks !

Just wana add - you people are so kind to help me. xox
OHC

theyve got pretty decent inline fans at home depot in 4-6-8" sizes. only like 25$ ,30$, 40$ respectivly

i use 1 6in blowing at 250cfm for fresh air 1 6in on one end of my 600w and an 8in on the other end. then the whole room is vented out with a window fan. it keep temps in each of my boxes around 76 and the whole room about 75 in the winter haha.

Latest posts

Back