First Grow Troubles (pics)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjoe

Reaction score
well its my first grow and so far i started all my seedlings in one box they sprouted and i transplanted the best looking sprouts into seperate containers now i guess i'm just waiting to get another light which i will soon. i did not read the grow guide because i've already read so many. i might read it later. i'm going to try using floros throughout my whole grow...unless i stumble across enough money to buy an hps light. if anybody has any suggestions or tips that would be great :) i really want to grow a few nice healthy plants i want it to be simple and cheap!!

Before
Photo-0449.jpg

okay....heres what i did first...well after germinating...the light wasn't close enough and they cant all be together...i fixed all that...

After!
aftertransplant.jpg

aftertrans3.jpg

okay so now the light is closer they're all in seperate containers...so now i need another light....so i guess what i wanna know is did i fix it? will this do for now and what should i do next?

looks preety good!!! but im just like you i dont have enough money 4 an hps so i guess we cant wait 4 a large amount of weed with flou's... but your set up aint bad wait till theyget older and then the pros will help ya!!!!

You need more light.

6,000 lumens per sq/ft to be exact.

we just got a shop light with two 48" floro bulbs 3100 lumens a piece and i put all the plants under them and they seem to be doing pretty good i'm going to get some more pictures soon when they get a little bigger...now that the light situation is under control i have a few questions now

does anybody know anything about VOH Lights or Full Spectrum Lights? just curious...

Also what is the best kind of fertilizer to use and when should i start using it...

so other than that i'm just waiting for the plants to get big enough for me to sex them. i looked at HPS lights at Home Depot and the bulb was affordable but with all the other stuff we needed for it it would have came out to about $50 we went to wal-mart and ended up spending like $14.00 on our light

You will need the bigger light. May as well plan on spending the money when its time to flower. Like Ganga said, 6000 lumens per square foot. Get an HPS for flowering.

^^^ this guy grew some decent lookin bud with just 2 floro bulbs

The bulb that i use is a 125 watt full spectrum cfl that cost me like 50 dollars(10k lumens).

but if you are looking for a good hps i would look on ebay. i have seen 1000 watt hps for $90.

Gook Luck :)

if u are some what mechacialy inclined try www.econolights.com the cheapest ive seen by far just 1 thing u gotta build it but its not to tuff

i had that same light for my first grow...GE plant and aquarium brightstik 33watt right? or probably something close to it.you need alot more light than that..if you have the money and safety of the grow like in ur own appartment deffinatly buy an hps set up, i use it for the whole growth period after sprouted...my second grow grew more than 3x faster and healthier than with the fluor. search ebay youll find some good deals

we just got a shop light with two 48" floro bulbs 3100 lumens a piece and i put all the plants under them and they seem to be doing pretty good i'm going to get some more pictures soon when they get a little bigger...now that the light situation is under control i have a few questions now

does anybody know anything about VOH Lights or Full Spectrum Lights? just curious...

Also what is the best kind of fertilizer to use and when should i start using it...

so other than that i'm just waiting for the plants to get big enough for me to sex them. i looked at HPS lights at Home Depot and the bulb was affordable but with all the other stuff we needed for it it would have came out to about $50 we went to wal-mart and ended up spending like $14.00 on our light

When it comes to light(s), especially flo's vs. HPS, you get what you pay for.

HPS is by far the better buy.
You will get 3 times as much pot with HPS instead of flo's, and the weed will be better.
and
HPS is cheaper to run than flo's. HPS emits 125 lumens per watt, flo's only 75 lumens per watt.

its been a week or two since we bought the new light and the plants have grown since then i dont know if they're growing at a good rate. i need to know when i'll be able to tell if the plants are MALE or FEMALE we do have alot of plants but i dont intend on keeping them all just a few good FEMALE plants. well here are the new pictures...this is our biggest plant. i'm not really quite sure what to do at this point.

uddddntitled.jpg

plant.jpg

-They need transplanting to bigger containers.
You can determine sex by putting the plants on a 12/12 cycle once they're sexually mature (usually 4--6 weeks old). Within 2 weeks after 12/12 the males will grow balls; toss 'em.
-Make sure they're well fed and watered but don't overdo it. Use nutrients at 3/4 recommended strength.
-They need ventillation.
-They need more light.

also...someone told me i need fertilizer now...because i posted on another forum that the tips of my leafs were starting to get yellowish brownish colored and i need to know if thats true or maybe if its because of somethign else? and if it is true what kind of fertilizer do i need to get??

:confused: :confused:

That could be several things..I'll let the pros answer the leaf issue.. as far as ferts...go all natural...thats kind of the point of growing your own...you know whats in it...Right? RIGHT! lol

farmerjoe said:
also...someone told me i need fertilizer now...because i posted on another forum that the tips of my leafs were starting to get yellowish brownish colored and i need to know if thats true or maybe if its because of somethign else? and if it is true what kind of fertilizer do i need to get??

:confused: :confused:
I've found that "tips" browning/crisping is more likely an indication of burn or over nutrification, rather than a defficiency.
Defficiencies usually starts as a yellowing/chlorosis of the entire leaf in older growth.

farmerjoe,
Congrats. I hope you birth all girls. However, early sexing with light reduction temporairly will help. Then put lights to it again. Don't let them get to tall. Also remeber experimentation will also help. I was a new grower with a headful of info and no experience. However troubleshooting has greatly helped. I will soon have beautiful adults, Also successfully learning to clone will save a lot of time down the road. Take good care of them. There your babies.
Peace stargazer:cool:

Latest posts

Back