First Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2theGame

Reaction score
Whats up MP? Its time for me to get the ball rolling soon, and since I'm setting up my grow space, I figured why not set up my grow log and get some feed back? So here it is... this is what I have so far, I'm guessing within the next month I'll be germinating :)

Equipment:
3x6x6 Secret Jardin Grow Tent
Sunleaves Predator Series Viper
Hydrofarm 400 cfm 6 inch inline
Lumatek 400w Digital Ballast
General Hydroponics 4 Way Air Pump
4 DIY Top Drip Buckets (about 20 bucks each to build seemed like a good route to take)

phpD8HL0HPM.jpg

phpcGWypfPM.jpg

phpFXnnViPM.jpg

phpXc7SJ6PM.jpg

phphpTOfNPM.jpg

For your first grow, looks like you have a plan and you're going in with first-rate equipment. Looks like you've done your homework.

Many of us get started with peat pots fulla cow pies & bagseed, and sorta grow into the hobby before we get all the best stuff. If you can get it right from the start and get it dialed in, props and mojo !!

Planning to pop some top-shelf gear too ??

subscribed, green mojo for u good buddy

Dan K. Liberty said:
Planning to pop some top-shelf gear too ??

reference to seeds? If so I have not chosen a strain to be my first. I've always wanted norther nights and white widow. I'm thinking of getting one or the other or both. If you or anyone else has a suggestion for my first grow, I'm all ears.

northern lights and white widow are two great strain to start off with.

Good luck and Green Mojo to help your plants grow

I think they're both great choices for a first grow. The NL will tend to get a bit wider, the WW a bit taller. Four plants . . . what's the dimensions inside the space?

3x3x6. probably going to build a scrog. hoping i can still use the buckets.

ozzydiodude said:
you should have no problems using those buckets

my concern with the buckets was that i would not be able to pull the net baskets out in order to empty and refil them with a scrog on top. maybe i need to read up more on a scrog but i was under the impression that i would bind my plants to it. seems like a ton of work to redo every feeding. am i wrong? how should it be done if i keep the buckets? maybe i could hook a water pump up to the fill line and suck them dry and then just pour the new soloution over the hydroton?

New2theGame said:
my concern with the buckets was that i would not be able to pull the net baskets out in order to empty and refil them with a scrog on top. maybe i need to read up more on a scrog but i was under the impression that i would bind my plants to it. seems like a ton of work to redo every feeding. am i wrong? how should it be done if i keep the buckets? maybe i could hook a water pump up to the fill line and suck them dry and then just pour the new soloution over the hydroton?

what i do is have extra buckets. so if your growing 4 plants you want atleast 8 buckets. simply mix your nute solution ahead of time, that way you can make sure your ph is stable. then when its flowering time. simply place the bucket right next to the plant and quickly transfer. now i've never done a scrog, but from what i've seen your supposed to keep training the plants to grow in and out of your net. since this doesn't leave much room for you to lift your plants up to transfer. for fear of damaging your canopy. place your buckets on something that will life them 6-8" off the ground. so when you transfer you can remove the(lets call it a booster seat), transfer, place it back underneath, and ur set.

just my 2 cents

EDIT: hmm i'm running dwc though, while you have a top feed system. hmmmmm

the only reason im doing a scrog is because i have 36 inches from the top of the buckets to the bottom of my light at its highest position so a booster won't work. damn fine idea though. i think im just going to buy a water pump. hell i might just get creative and make it auto drain/fill.

Hmmm if you do a long veg/scrog, you could prolly fill a 3 x 3 with one or two plants pretty easily, then you could switch out the buckets like shortbus . . . i guess scrog is usually used for low head space rooms, and three feet growing space is pretty low

If you fim instead, veg 4 - 5 weeks and grow out to 8 - 10 tops, they'd prolly get about 18" wide, 3' tall, and all four would fit pretty nicely . . . that way you could pull em right out for changing solutions

With the NL, I think I would try 4 fimmed - or even columnar . . . but I think the WW would prolly get too tall if 3 ft is all you have

jm2c :48:

or like you said, ditch the buckets, go with a flood tray or something flatter to the floor, and increase your vertical space . . .

im going to try everything and pick the best method. i spent quite a bit of money to ensure ill be able to do this hobby for quite some time to come! trial and error i suppose. im looking into topping and fimming more as well as scrog grows. information is flying everywhere and im sure with the help of you guys ill grow a quality product in an efficent manner :) thanks so much for all the input fellas...

I do not believe switching out the bucket like shortbus has mentioned will not work. I don't think that changing buckets out and a scrog are going to be compatible. The net pots and the roots are going to require way more than 6-8" clearance. You may be able to put some drins in the buckets so that you can drain and refill the buckets, but I just don't see you changing them out.

I did a smaller scrog in about 4 sq ft. The link is in my sig.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I do not believe switching out the bucket like shortbus has mentioned will not work. I don't think that changing buckets out and a scrog are going to be compatible. The net pots and the roots are going to require way more than 6-8" clearance. You may be able to put some drins in the buckets so that you can drain and refill the buckets, but I just don't see you changing them out.

I did a smaller scrog in about 4 sq ft. The link is in my sig.

thanks for stopping by THG. im thinking i can hook up a water pump to the drain level tube and suck them dry. i checked out your DIY scrog yesterday and it was impressive. simple and effective. im thinking of building one based off your design, but that will accommodate my buckets.

New2theGame said:
thanks for stopping by THG. im thinking i can hook up a water pump to the drain level tube and suck them dry. i checked out your DIY scrog yesterday and it was impressive. simple and effective. im thinking of building one based off your design, but that will accommodate my buckets.

really good that you're getting input and bouncing around a bunch of ideas before you flip the switch

Latest posts

Back