First Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, just to clarify . . . you have 4 DWC buckets, now you have rockwool and hydroton . . . what medium did you decide to grow em in ?

Dan K. Liberty said:
ok, just to clarify . . . you have 4 DWC buckets, now you have rockwool and hydroton . . . what medium did you decide to grow em in ?

i was going to put my germinated seed into rock wool and then put that into the hydroton once the roots are ready.

New pics! Scrog is 32x32 and is 12 inches above the top of my buckets. Rapid start and cal mag freebies from my hydro store. ohh yea baby 400w mh too! still trying to figure out what to use as a screen.

phpt5unG7PM.jpg

phps01F2EPM.jpg

phpT0F6VrPM.jpg

php5eh3lCPM.jpg

php8PtobWPM.jpg

phpWfGkEnPM.jpg

phppvKdouPM.jpg

php3mWpbSPM.jpg

phpOvMCQTPM.jpg

New2theGame said:
New pics! Scrog is 32x32 and is 12 inches above the top of my buckets. Rapid start and cal mag freebies from my hydro store. ohh yea baby 400w mh too! still trying to figure out what to use as a screen.

most hydro stores will sell the proper netting. if u wanna go the DIY way, then i suggest chain link fence, or head over to a fishing supply store. they'll sell netting that will work as well.

if you wanna go SUPER DIY, go to hardware store and pick up some 1/2"-1" pvc(your choice of size), 4 elbows, pvc cement, and a box of 1/2" screws. cut the pvc to fit your grow space, and cement it together with the elbows. measure and mark the pvc every 3 inches on all 4 sides of the pvc square/rectangle. then screw the 1/2" screws in at the marks. buy some string and weave a grid pattern. use the remaining string to hang the pvc grid from the top of the tent.

the most expensive purchase will prolly be the pvc cement. its like 8$.

10' of 3/4" pvc is like 2-3$

elbows = .40 cents each

cement = 8$

small box of screws = 5$

ball of string = 1$

knowing you did it for yourself, and didn't spend 2X as much just going out and buying it...priceless :rofl:

uhhhh Shortbus . . . are you doin a couple bong rips bud ?? He has two pics of the pvc frame right there, he already built it . . . :stoned:

nice job n2tg looks like you're almost ready to go :cool2:

Dan K. Liberty said:
uhhhh Shortbus . . . are you doin a couple bong rips bud ?? He has two pics of the pvc frame right there, he already built it . . . :stoned:

nice job n2tg looks like you're almost ready to go :cool2:

ofc i am, but thats beside the point :rofl:

tbh, i'm harvesting today and i'm super busy. i just took a quick break and jumped on the computer to check out the forums. just speed read his post, never took a look at the pics and responded. lol

now that i've actually looked over his post properly. i used the "gh test kit" for my first grow, and i gotta say its completly worth it to go ahead and spend the 30$ on the digital ph pen. the solution just wasn't accurate enough IMO.

when optimum ph is 5.3 and let it drift up to 5.8, then ph back down. you really couldn't pull that off with the solution.

I'm with shortbus on the pH meter. Drops are not nearly accurate enough for a hydro grow (don't even like using the drops for my hot tub). I like to let my pH go from about 5.3 to 6.0 when doing hydro. While optimum is actually closer to 5.8, some nutrients are not taken up well at that level. Here is a chart that shows nutrient uptake at different pH levels: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1833&d=1141100090

Don't forget to buy calibration fluids when you buy a pen or meter--I didn't even know about calibration fluids when I got my first meter.

I didn't glue any of my fittings when I made my scrog (and I had glue). PVC can be dry fitted and it will stay together well enough for a scrog--you just wouldn't want to try and pump water through it. I think that chain link would be a bit heavy--you don't need anything that sturdy--chicken wire or net fencing works well.

Curious why you picked the nutrient package you did? I personally hated to have to mix 5-6 different products into my nutrient solution. I also think it makes it a lot easier for things to go wrong with so many different additives.....

to be honest i went to the hydro store to buy gh 3 part with a bottle of kool bloom bottle of thrive alive and a bottle of cal mag, and the lady working there told me this kit had all that so I got this. Ill take it back and get the gh if you tell me to do so lol. Also, I ordered bluelab ppm and ph pens on tuesday, they will be here sometime this week. And I have a bottle of 7.0 solution. Thanks for everything this grow journal has been the best thing I've done for my newly found hobby! More updates and more pics to follow!

ur off to an amazing start...the mojo is strong with this one

New2theGame said:
to be honest i went to the hydro store to buy gh 3 part with a bottle of kool bloom bottle of thrive alive and a bottle of cal mag, and the lady working there told me this kit had all that so I got this. Ill take it back and get the gh if you tell me to do so lol. Also, I ordered bluelab ppm and ph pens on tuesday, they will be here sometime this week. And I have a bottle of 7.0 solution. Thanks for everything this grow journal has been the best thing I've done for my newly found hobby! More updates and more pics to follow!

No, just curious--go for it. Keep in mind that most hydro store workers do not actually grow, especially in states where there are no mmj laws. So, take all their advise with a grain of salt. I don't know anyone who uses them, but I don't think there is anything wrong with the techno nutes--it just seems like 10 bottles of stuff is a lot.

I never use things like kool bloom and thrive alive. Years ago I tried different things like Bud Bloom, Carbo Load, Spray-n-grow, etc, etc. I really don't like having to add that many things to my water--more things to go wrong IMO--and there never seemed to be any difference in the plants I used all the extra stuff on and the ones I didn't. In flower I general used the Lucas formula, so only GH Flora micro and bloom, with a little Cal-Mag. For vegging, I really kind of liked GH Flora Nova Grow--a stand alone nute. However, I got the best buy on GH nutes when I bought all 3 together by the gallon, so I had a hard time justifying buying the Flora Nova when I had the 3-part grow.

Some pens require a 2 point calibration.

ShOrTbUs said:
ur off to an amazing start...the mojo is strong with this one

ty sir:48: might have to pop in on you and burn the end result haha

So after buying a trellis net and putting it on top of my scrog frame I said hell no. Then it hit me. Nylon rope. 3 inch spacing 1/4 inch holes 3/16 rope.

phpCfT9SmPM.jpg

For days I have been trying to come up with a cool way to drain my buckets since I will not be able to lift them with my scrog on top. I figured it out and bought some stuff today on one of my many lowes trips! I'm going to make a 1/2 tubing 4 way out of pvc and some fittings. Next trip I'm going to buy some 1/2 valves to put in the lines so not only will I be able to pump out solution, but I will be able to pump in solution to each bucket individually since I dont' think hooking up up all 4 and pumping would evenly distribute to each bucket. I need the right sized drill bit guess I will have to get it tomorrow and repost pics when Its built!

phpwB2zeMPM.jpg

phpYVbnMwPM.jpg

This is a perfect example of how to use this forum, dude . . . take all the opinions, mix em up, and improvise your own adaptation based on the good advice and your own situation . . . :aok:

So are you still planning to put 4 buckets under it ?

Also, what is the distance from the top of the bucket to the net . . . if you're running Northern Lights, you might consider making it a bit lower than some of the strains that others are scrogging . . . did you order the NL ??

Its been quite a few trips around the sun since I ran NL . . . and I grew it to a single column, more of a sog . . . but the internodes were very tight, lower branches shoot out pretty fast and wide, stem structure was rigid (so tips would hafta be trained early, when they're still soft), they were usually sexable at the 6-7th node, stretch was pretty minimal . . . and the buds were thick and glorious

i ordered northern lights seeds from nirvana for my first grow. the scrog is 12 inches above the top of the buckets.

I enjoy it (think I spotted me a winner here) . . . . so anyway so good so far, and how long are you planning to veg in order to fill out that screen at that height ??

the plants i last grew were very short with tight internodes. after 6 weeks of veg, they were only 12" tall. i did 2 weeks of LST, and topped them once. considering your using a MH for veg i think if u feel the need to have them get taller faster u can just hold the light up a little higher. i think this might help with the rigid stem structure that NL has

also, i know its importants to have good air circulation in the grow room. but maybe you could run your circulation fan 15mins on 45mins off. i know when its constantly running it puts stress on your stems and promotes calcium uptake to reinforce the plant structurally. since your doing scrog i would assume the net takes care of the weight the plants pack on during flower.

just food for thought

Latest posts

Back