First Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enlightening Cola

New Grower
Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm growing 3 unknown strains, probably some kind of Mexican strain, under a 17 watt florescent w/ 75 watts of incandescent equivalent output. Of course I know I need a hell of a lot more lumens than this to get anything from the plant. They are still in seedling stage and I'm planning on getting a HPS lamp in the future.

These were planted on 2/23/13 after 2 days of germinating. They were put in the window for the first few days. The pictures were taken on the 26th.

~ Day 5 ~

DSCN0148.JPG DSCN0149.JPG

another first grow here we go. hello there my advise is to do your research. a good place to get some info is Hamster Lewis first grow... he started in 2009 and ever since he started he always has bomb dank. good luck GREEN MOJO to your jumping mexican beans

p.s you should germnate more beans since there is a chance that youll get all males or 2 males out of 3

:ciao::welcome: To the Only Place :ciao:

Tell us more about your grow room. The size, what nutes you are going to be using, the brand/type of soil, ete,ete.

I would look into getting some t-5's for veg. They are cheap and efficient and work great for veg. Then when flowering time arrives, place them under a hps.

yes cola tell us more please. wecome to the famliy

Thank you all for your advice. I am reading Marijuana Grower's Guide by Mel Frank. I'm using 8" planters and Miracle Grow Moisture Control Potting Mix. I haven't done any research on nutes yet.

I water them every 4-5 days, but I'm basing it on how heavy the planter is, with 1/4 teaspoon of Expert Gardener All Purpose/Water Soluble Plant Food per gallon of water. They were just moved today to a 1000W MH Light. I am only going to plant a couple at a time until I get a female, so I don't have too many to take care of the first time. I just want to take it slow and see how one turns out, then two, then three, and so on.

The 1000W light is a friends, because I don't have a good enough light, so my second grow will be under a 150W HPS and 75W Incandescent, for supplement, with two female clones. The space they are in is about 3'x3', I think. I hope I summed up all the questions. I will definitely be doing more research, especially about nutes.

Here are some more pics:
I'm a little behind on the pictures so...these pictures are before they were even put under the 75W Incandescent. I put a quartz crystal with it for energy purposes.

~Day 6~

Taken on 2/27/13...
DSCN0150.JPG DSCN0151.JPG

~Day 8~
Still in natural light in these pictures. I decided to twist them around each other. When I took these I only had two plants. The other container you see is my friends. I planted one in a green container on 3/7/13.

Taken on 3/1/13...
DSCN0159.JPG DSCN0160.JPG

Taken on 3/4/13...
DSCN0167.JPG DSCN0168.JPG

Miracle Grow Moisture Control Potting Mix is about the worst type of soil to use:( Need something organic or something with no moisture control or nutes added.

Incandescent lights are worthless. To much heat, not enough lumens, promotes stretching.

Most likely these seedlings are going to stretch and die from lack of lumens and to hot of soil. I never have had much luck with any soil that is pre-nuted or had moisture control in it.

yeah I agree with Duck incadescents light are worthless. replace with some 6500k cfl's (compact florecent lights) in case you don't know what that means : )
and for soil there's fox farm happy frog, ocean forest, roots organics is also good basically anything that is premium! top quality
as far as nutes
Heneral hydroponics 3 part is the way to go ( i'm using their organic version is called general organics "go box" you should look in to it I'm loving it.)

sensi Nutes are the most expensive

there also fox farm and some other one but GH is the best in my opinion

good luck my friend

The light is actually a 17W florescent w/ a 75W incandescent equivalent output. Thank you for the advice you guys. I realized like three weeks ago that these lights where crap. I just put them under my friends 1000W MH and he uses the Foxfarm brand. Definitely a lot of tips for transplanting and my next grow.

~Day 16; Day 5(Green Planter)~
Planted one more, hoping it will be a female.

Taken 3/9/13...
DSCN0171.JPG DSCN0172.JPG

New Plant sprouted within 2 days...
DSCN0173.JPG DSCN0174.JPG

~Day 17; Day 6~
These pics are of them under the 1000W MH light. I put a stake for support. Sorry my days weren't adding up lmao.:)

DSCN0183.JPG DSCN0184.JPG

I would pull one of the two you have"wrapped together"

once bigger, and if one is male you will never be able to remove it without leaving all its roots behind and thats asking for root rot.

Many thanks Growdude. I'll unwrap them and probably pull the shorter one. If they turn out to be male then I'm just going to buy feminine seeds. I'm going to have to transplant them soon into some good organic soil. Maybe when seedling stage is done, I'll put them in a 2+ gallon container. As far as nutes go I'll be giving them Foxfarm Grow Big Liquid Plant Food 6-4-4 during vegetative stage and Tiger Bloom 2-8-4 and/or Beastie Bloomz 0-50-30 for flowering.

While I don't understand wrapping them together. When your short on space, you can grow multi plant buckets, gently cutting out the males. Root rot simply won't happen if your watering/feeding schedule is on point. The soil you are using is not gonna help that factor. You need to take those out of that pot and transplant into Pro Mix or Sunshine #4.

I would also not start seeds in that large a container--it is hard to keep them the right amount of wet.

The incandescent equivalent is a useless number and we do not use it when speaking of bulb wattages. You need to use actual wattages. Also at this point, a 1000W MH is way too much light. You need to get some more fluorescents (I prefer T5 tubes and not put them under ther MH until they have a little more growth

Do you have some kind of space set up? What are your plans when the plant gets a bit older?

nouvellechef said:
While I don't understand wrapping them together. When your short on space, you can grow multi plant buckets, gently cutting out the males. Root rot simply won't happen if your watering/feeding schedule is on point. The soil you are using is not gonna help that factor. You need to take those out of that pot and transplant into Pro Mix or Sunshine #4.

You dont have a problem leaving all those dead roots in there?

This is my first grow and I'm just having fun with it. When they get old I'll switch the bulb to a 1000W HPS, and then eventually harvest them. I used the soil I had. I'm not expecting a lot, and I'll be happy with just some. When I transplant them I'll be using Ocean Forest Potting Soil.

do you have a fan on them?if not get one on them.the fan will make them strong enough to stand on there own

Definitely got a fan on them, the humidity is at 35% which is kind of low. The temperature is shifting between 80 - 85 F which is kind of high lol. There is a total of 10 plants under the 1000W MH. Only 3 are mine and 6 of the others are the same size and age. The 10th is a clone, I'm unsure of the age, that was just planted. 3 of the 6 have stakes for support.

Hi Cola, Welcome. you do need to get those out of that soil now.

You have some great people giving you advice, take it. Greenest of mojo on your first grow. You will be hooked, not on pot, but on growing.

Latest posts

Back