First indoor grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airbone

Reaction score
Hey guys I am planning on starting my first attempt at an indoor grow.
I’ll be growing Runtz S1, OG Kush x 9lb Hammer and black lime special reserve is what the last one is marked.
Plan on using a 3x3 tent with a 1000 watt viper spectra with adjustable veg/flower light spectrums. Will get another tent for flower eventually.
Fox farms big bloom, buds and bloom, grow big, and cal mag for nutrients.
Big rootz soil with possible with earthworm casings.

Does this sound ok so far or am I off anywhere. Need some input from the OG masters. Thanks for any suggestions.

How much actual watts does light pull from wall? If it is truly 1000 watts it will be hotter than a 2 dollar pistol in a 3 x 3.

My guess is like most "1000" model led it likely only pulls 100-150 watts from the wall. If this is the case, you may need more light.

I used as an experiment, 3 phlizon 1000 led panel. Small quantum type board, using the nice Samsung 301, and good deep red. At the time, I bought 3 of them for 119 a piece. Dam close to the price of another SP3000, my current fave for 2 x 4 or 4 x 4, but I wanted to show that if I put 300 watts or so in 2 x 4 it would work.

Plus, one can buy one to start, fine for seedling, buy another for veg, and a third for flower time. Budget friendly, as is the 2 x 4 tent. While I would strongly urge one to go SP-3000 instead, I would point out that this board was on sale last time I looked for 79 bucks per. Plus, one could upgrade later and these panels would be great for mother's or clones, or even supplimental lighting.

Out come was good. Big solid OG colas. Maybe not as large as same seed under 600 watt HPS in 4 x 4. Those plants were just grown with no topping. This time, they were topped.

This seemed to result in nice (and plenty of them) sized colas, main ones SLIGHTLY smaller than in untopped plants, but much better yield per square foot.

Guess what I'm saying is, you may need more light and way to deal with heat. Set everything up and run it without plants. Noise ok? What about heat? With the lights cooking, can you keep it in the sweet range?

Oh, get some cal mag.
Bubba

How much actual watts does light pull from wall? If it is truly 1000 watts it will be hotter than a 2 dollar pistol in a 3 x 3.

My guess is like most "1000" model led it likely only pulls 100-150 watts from the wall. If this is the case, you may need more light.

I used as an experiment, 3 phlizon 1000 led panel. Small quantum type board, using the nice Samsung 301, and good deep red. At the time, I bought 3 of them for 119 a piece. Dam close to the price of another SP3000, my current fave for 2 x 4 or 4 x 4, but I wanted to show that if I put 300 watts or so in 2 x 4 it would work.

Plus, one can buy one to start, fine for seedling, buy another for veg, and a third for flower time. Budget friendly, as is the 2 x 4 tent. While I would strongly urge one to go SP-3000 instead, I would point out that this board was on sale last time I looked for 79 bucks per. Plus, one could upgrade later and these panels would be great for mother's or clones, or even supplimental lighting.

Out come was good. Big solid OG colas. Maybe not as large as same seed under 600 watt HPS in 4 x 4. Those plants were just grown with no topping. This time, they were topped.

This seemed to result in nice (and plenty of them) sized colas, main ones SLIGHTLY smaller than in untopped plants, but much better yield per square foot.

Guess what I'm saying is, you may need more light and way to deal with heat. Set everything up and run it without plants. Noise ok? What about heat? With the lights cooking, can you keep it in the sweet range?

Oh, get some cal mag.
Bubba
I got a tent kit 27x27 with a sf1000. Also have that viper spectra 1000 both pull 100 watts from the wall. Will definitely run it first and see what the heat does. Kit came with vent fan and carbon filter. Also I do cooling for a living so I can get that dialed in.
Don’t plan on using both like you said one will be for a good mother or two.
Do you think the sf1000 will be enough for that tent though?

I got a tent kit 27x27 with a sf1000. Also have that viper spectra 1000 both pull 100 watts from the wall. Will definitely run it first and see what the heat does. Kit came with vent fan and carbon filter. Also I do cooling for a living so I can get that dialed in.
The viper spectra is 230 watt from the wall.
72FB92CA-04A3-458A-98BD-F777762411B6.jpeg

Your 3x3 tent will be fine for the first 2 months, but after that, espcially when it's time for flowering, you'll need a much bigger space. A 3x3 tent is only big enough for one full-grown female plant. You might be able to stuff two plants in a space that small, but you'll have a lot of foliage competing for minimal light.

I recommend organics. I use a good garden soil with plenty of decomposing matter. I also like to find a piece of wood that has already begun decomposition. I'll put the wood in the bottom of the bucket. This helps to increase the biological activity in the soil.

For a 5-gallon bucket, you might want to add something like the following:

Coco Coir: 1:10 coco coir/soil ratio
Bone meal: 3 Tbsp
Worm castings: 1/2-cup to 1 cup
Bat guano: 2 Tbsp
Unsulphured molasses: 2 Tbsp
1 to 2 Tbsp alfalfa meal
1 to Tbsp kelp meal

A lot of growers will make teas with these elements or use them as a top dress, but since this is your first grow, I would kindly suggest just mixing it into your pots directly.

Later, if you have a lot of yellow leaves (assuming you are growing Indicas, not Sativas), and if you are still in veg growth, you can make a bat guano and molasses tea, which is rich in nitrogen. However, you won't want to do this once your plants have entered into pre-flowering mode. Hope this helps, and, if possible, always opt for organics. They are more sustainable, and they are more natural, which means they produce better results overall.

Later, if you are going to take clones, once you select a mother, you can use that 3x3 tent to house the mother, and just keep it in veg forever. You can pull clones from the lower branches for up to 1-1/2 to 2 years!!!

Lastly, I prefer to use rice hulls in place of perlite. Rice hulls retain more moisture and do just as good a job of aerating the soil as perlite. Perlite is okay, but it is not as good for the planet as rice hulls. Perlite is basically super-heated, manufactured volcanic ash.

In a 2 x 4 I would use 3 100 watt panels, 6 in 4 x 4.
This is for flower...one for seedling, 1 or 2 for veg
Bubba

Bubba
3 seedlings to start and planned on veg in there as well

Bubba
Ok thanks.
I will use that 27x27 for seedlings for now and get a 2x4. I really liked that runtz last time I tasted it. Probably will use this tent for a mother tent and get two more.

Clones turned out great. Black lime popped out of the soil today. Hopefully OG Kush x 9 lb hammer is shortly behind it. Started the Runtz x Runtz in a paper towel and it popped too!
Second tent up and running…. Was a good productive day.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Don’t mind that yellow one in the middle lol.
That was my first cloning attempt and the root system is pretty weak! Been trying to turn it around.

Runtz finally got its head above ground. Was worried for a minute. Cones doing well and the one yellow plant looks way better!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I think you're gonna be tight for space. I'm currently in a 3x3 with 450w of LEDs and 2 plants have filled up the entire 3x3 space and almost reached the top of the tent. I'd pick 2 or 3 and let them get big :)

I think you're gonna be tight for space. I'm currently in a 3x3 with 450w of LEDs and 2 plants have filled up the entire 3x3 space and almost reached the top of the tent. I'd pick 2 or 3 and let them get big :)
I got a 4x4 on the way and a small 27x27 running some clones at the moment. My plan is to mother out that Runtz in the 27”.
Do you think that 2x 4 is bid enough to veg those? Planned on 6 in there.

I got a 4x4 on the way and a small 27x27 running some clones at the moment. My plan is to mother out that Runtz in the 27”.
Do you think that 2x 4 is bid enough to veg those? Planned on 6 in there.
4x4 for flower….plan on a sf4000 for that tent.

Good morning….
Indoor tent is doing good, I think.
I had a question though. All my clones I put in have taken this almost plastic dark green color to the leaves. They look happy I was just curious if it’s a good or bad thing.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Latest posts

Back