First Journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, thanks again for the info. My room is 4'x3 1/2 ft. but I'm thinking of closing off the whole back of the boat and making a room about tenft square -- two rooms one for veg and one for flower. I had more than one rum and coke last night, and then I went back to kindseeds and bought two more varieties of Canadian seeds. They do NOT have a great selection, and next time I get drunk and decide I just have to have more seeds I will look somewhere else. As for now, I believe I have enough seeds coming to at least get started. You are right about the MITE thing Goddess, you made me laugh. and that's hard to do when I have a hangover. The seeds are in Jiffy 5 peat pots under one 125w CFL in a hood with three 100w full spectrum bulbs hanging around the hood. Think that is enough light to veg? I plan on getting a 400w HPS in the next month or so -- when I think I can afford it (or if I drink more rum) and use that to flower. I have enough space, and I plan on doing some creative prunning and tying down but you are all right. I need to slow down and read more and think this out a little better -- thanks for the advice. The new seeds I purchased late, late last night are called "Prarrie Pride" and something called "Mountain Bud" -- Kind of wish I had waited, but I don't have a keeper, so I stumble along doing the best I can -- like most folks I guess. I really appreciate having this place to come and all you fine folks to talk with about all this -- have a great day people.

:rofl: I would recommend staying away from the rum and coke if this is what it makes you do . Generally speaking, I would say that if you have gotten bad seeds from a seed company once, do not go back to the same place and buy more.....hey, I have a bridge I'm trying to sell.....

I'm not crazy about Jiffy pots. I use Rapid rooters or rockwool to germ seeds.

About your intended larger growing space--it is going to take a boatload of money to try and set up a space that is 10 ft sq (100 sq ft)--thousands. You have 14 sq ft now and no adequate lighting or ventilation. I would recommend staying with that and getting it dialed in before even thinking of going to something as big as 100 sq ft.

About your lighting--it is all about the lumens You want 3000 lumens per sq ft for vegging and 5000 lumens per sq ft for flowering. We use actual wattage (not equivalent wattage) when talking about CFLs--is your 125 watt actual or equivalent watts? How many lumens does it put out? What is the spectrum? Just so you are aware, CFLs cost more to operate than any of the other types of lights we use to grow. They generally cost more to purchase initially (bulbs, sockets, reflectors, cords), they have the lowest lumen to watt ratio, they run hotter, and they produce substantially less bud than a HPS. A 400W HPS is good for about 9-10 sq ft. A 600W HPS covers 16-18 sq ft.

My 125w light puts out 6400k and is full spectrum daylight. I bought it in a hydro store with the hood for about 100 bucks. the three other lights are full spectrum with 2600 lumms each. It's pretty bright in there. I don't have a light meter, but I believe I have enough light to veg. The lights do not put out very much heat at all. I was worried about this because it is so damn hot out here this time of year. It was 109 yesterday and will be just as hot outside today. My air conditioners are running full blast and the temp in the room is 78 degrees under the light. I have three fans in the tent. As far as my drinking is concerned it really isn't a problem. I only drink on occassion, so I am not real good at it, but I enjoy a little rum sometimes ARG --what can I say -- I'm a pirate. :) How much you want for the bridge?

I am using the jiffy pots because I figured by starting them this way there would be little or no shock when they are transplanted -- just stick the pot in a bigger pot -- am I wrong?

HemperFi said:
My 125w light puts out 6400k and is full spectrum daylight. I bought it in a hydro store with the hood for about 100 bucks. the three other lights are full spectrum with 2600 lumms each. It's pretty bright in there. I don't have a light meter, but I believe I have enough light to veg. The lights do not put out very much heat at all. I was worried about this because it is so damn hot out here this time of year. It was 109 yesterday and will be just as hot outside today. My air conditioners are running full blast and the temp in the room is 78 degrees under the light. I have three fans in the tent. As far as my drinking is concerned it really isn't a problem. I only drink on occassion, so I am not real good at it, but I enjoy a little rum sometimes ARG --what can I say -- I'm a pirate. :) How much you want for the bridge?

No, you do not have enough light to veg in the space you have set up. The 6400K is the spectrum, not the lumens, so it is not really a full spectrum bulb, it is a bulb in the blue range. It really doesn't matter how bright it looks (halogens put out butt-loads of light, but are not good for growing), you are really quite badly underlit and you are going to need more light or a smaller space.

The 125W CFL is probably putting out at best probably 8500 lumens. If the others are putting out 2600 lumens they are probably 40 watt (what did these cost with the extras?). So you have approx 16,300 lumens. This is good for about 5-1/2 sq ft or a space a little smaller than 2 x 3--plan your vegging space accordingly. Trying to make the light illuminate a larger space will result in stretched plants. I do not know what the other CFLs and extras cost, but contrast this with a T5--you are using 245 watts to provide around 16,000 lumens. A 4' 4 tube T5 ($130) uses 216W and puts out 20,000 lumens.

When you get your space the right size, you are going to have some heat. However, plants need a continual supply of fresh air, regardless of temps. You are really going to need to set up some kind of ventilation system that involves a good quality exhaust fan. Three oscillating type fans in an enclosed space is just moving stale, CO2 depleted air around. You need to exhaust hot air out and bring fresh air in.

HemperFi said:
I am using the jiffy pots because I figured by starting them this way there would be little or no shock when they are transplanted -- just stick the pot in a bigger pot -- am I wrong?

Not really, but I would use something different than Jiffy pots like rapid rooters or rockwool. I have poor results with them. I know that Mandala recommends against using them.

Good advice, but the small lights are 100w equivalent. They burn at 25w. So what I have is 200w, and the light is hanging a foot off the pots -- the small bulbs surround the table and the pots they are sitting upon. We will see. If it isn't enough light I'll add some, but I am going to get a 600w HPS soon anyway. The store I go to has a lamp, ballast, and hood deal for $250.00. Is that too much? Will I have enough light then? I'm not sure how rockwool works -- do you just put it in the dirt when the roots begin to show?

You are also right about the vent situation. I do need a good exhaust fan -- and I need to figure out where to vent it -- perhaps into the engine compartment -- I don't know, but it is a straight shot back -- perhaps into the bilge straight down -- I'm worried about odor out on the dock. Into the bilge with carbon filters? Do they work well (carbon filters)?

HemperFi said:
Good advice, but the small lights are 100w equivalent. They burn at 25w. So what I have is 200w, and the light is hanging a foot off the pots -- the small bulbs surround the table and the pots they are sitting upon. We will see. If it isn't enough light I'll add some, but I am going to get a 600w HPS soon anyway. The store I go to has a lamp, ballast, and hood deal for $250.00. Is that too much? Will I have enough light then? I'm not sure how rockwool works -- do you just put it in the dirt when the roots begin to show?

The equivalent wattage really doesn't matter. If you have 25W lights, they are not putting out 2600 lumens. It will be more like 1500 lumens. If they say 2600(K) somewhere on the box, that is the spectrum and they are more in the red spectrum (flowering spectrum).

I can guarantee you that it is not enough light for 14 sq ft. You need 3000 lumens per sq ft for vegging--given the smaller lights, you probably have enough light for a little over 4 sq ft. (13,000 lumens). They will be okay for a little while while the seedlings are small, but they will not take you all the way through veg.

I would recommend getting an air cooled hood. Is the ballast digital or magnetic?

Yes, rockwool works much like Jiffy cubes.

An air cooled hood is a great idea. What should it cost me for a 400w HPS, a hood and a ballast? Ballpark numbers. I'm sure digitals are more expensive.

Someone on Amazon had a digi ballast with a cooltube for around $150. My buddy got one and loves it, however a couple people here had their cooltube arrive broken as the packaging was inadequate. They of course replaced it, but it is kind of a pita to get something broken and have to ship it back.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Someone on Amazon had a digi ballast with a cooltube for around $150. My buddy got one and loves it, however a couple people here had their cooltube arrive broken as the packaging was inadequate. They of course replaced it, but it is kind of a pita to get something broken and have to ship it back.

Yeah, I ordered one and it arrived with the cooltube shattered, and the replacement was also shattered. They were quick to replace the first one, and were equally quick to refund my money after the second arrived broken as well. It is definitely a packaging issue and not a handling issue, because one was delivered by Brown and one by FedEx. ;)

It was a really nice unit and I wish it would have gotten here intact. Instead I went with a reflector hood 400w hps from HTG Supply. It was only $119 plus shipping. To my zip shipping was only $23.

Wow, thanks a lot. I AM listening to the Goddess, I respect her opinion. I don't believe she is right about CFLs putting out more heat, but everything else she has said makes perfect sense. I put a small amount of MG in the soil mix. I doubt it is too hot, but I will transpot them into something else as you suggest. The seeds still haven't popped. I'm beggining to wonder if they ever will. These were some of the last seeds on the shelf at Kindseeds.com -- perhaps they have been around for too long or something. I'm not going to quit no matter what happens. Hell, I have three college degrees. I know I can grow a freakin weed. I had to anchor down the light hood. The boat gets to rocking sometimes, and it was swinging like a kid in a playground. Thanks for the info on the lights. I will put that together soon. My lights are covering a space about nine sq ft. I believe that will do until I can sex them. IF THEY GROW!

Thr reason I am not going to quit this little project came home to me last night in spades. I drove over a hundred miles, spent hours listening to rap music and came away with a quarter oz of something called platenum bubba cush. Pretty powerful, but it tastes like fertilizer. Small, tight nugs though, and I am glad to have it, but I'm spending that much in time and money every month. This whole thing will pay for itself very quickly -- unless I keep buying bad seeds. I'm also not going to go away like so many people must in here after failing miserably. I'm not afraid to fail. It's a learning process, and I may learn slow, but once I have something down it doesn't go away. I am laying off the rum for a while -- wish I'd never mentioned it. Peace

The banner at the top of this site for Attitude Seedbank is an awesome place to order GOOD seeds. I also personally recommend Herbies Head Shop, good prices and quality seeds there too. Both ship the seeds in generic packaging and don't use the actual shop name on the label, so you are pretty safe ordering.

Good luck and hang in there...once you get it dialed in, this is a very economical hobby to engage in. Not to mention the "side effects"!

:stoned::D

HemperFi said:
Wow, thanks a lot. I AM listening to the Goddess, I respect her opinion. I don't believe she is right about CFLs putting out more heat, but everything else she has said makes perfect sense. I put a small amount of MG in the soil mix. I doubt it is too hot, but I will transpot them into something else as you suggest. The seeds still haven't popped. I'm beggining to wonder if they ever will. These were some of the last seeds on the shelf at Kindseeds.com -- perhaps they have been around for too long or something. I'm not going to quit no matter what happens. Hell, I have three college degrees. I know I can grow a freakin weed. I had to anchor down the light hood. The boat gets to rocking sometimes, and it was swinging like a kid in a playground. Thanks for the info on the lights. I will put that together soon. My lights are covering a space about nine sq ft. I believe that will do until I can sex them. IF THEY GROW!

LOL--you can believe me or not about the CFLs--it is the truth. I can tell you though, that if you put those CFLs in 4 sq ft (the space they are good for), it will get hot. Maybe someone else will chime in here.....

Don't know how much MG soil you added, but if you used any kind of prenuted soil, it could have been too hot and this could have killed the seedlings before they even got a chance to sprout. However, I more suspect bad seeds.

Your lights are good for about 4 sq ft. If you have them in 9 sq ft, you are going to have stretched plants with large internodal spaces. You have limited room, you really need to keep your plants bushy and compact. This is accomplished by having 3000 lumens per sq ft or more. If we could get by with less than 1500 lumens per sq ft for vegging, we would all be doing it. None of us really like to hand over money unneccessarily to the power companies or deal with the heat that extra lights create. But this is necessary if we want compact bushy plants--more internodes equals more budding sites. Given 2 plants the same height, a stretched plant can produce half of what a compact one will. So, I will again urge you to either get more lights or make your space smaller.

Lastly, marijuana is NOT a weed and college degrees have nothing really to do with the ability to grow. Remember that you are trying to produce a product that sells for $10-15 a gram in many places. It is going to take an investment of time, money, energy, study, and love. I have been growing for many many years and am happy to pass along what knowledge I have on the subject. What you do with it is your choice. ;)

Your advice is well considered, and I know weed is not a weed, and I know college degrees don't have a lot to do with the growing process, but I know for sure it has something to do with the learning process. I have more time, energy, study and love than I have money, but I will work it out -- thank you again -- Peace

HemperFi said:
Your advice is well considered, and I know weed is not a weed, and I know college degrees don't have a lot to do with the growing process, but I know for sure it has something to do with the learning process. I have more time, energy, study and love than I have money, but I will work it out -- thank you again -- Peace

you're sporting the right attitude for success ;) I think you'll do just fine :aok:
It ain't rocket science, but it does have some basic requirements that have to be met.
I don't believe she is right about CFLs putting out more heat,
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54867 <--- kinda long, but should explain the cfl/hps controversy.

HemperFi said:
Your advice is well considered, ...but I will work it out -- thank you again -- Peace

HF, your attitude:cool: and humor :D will serve you well on this forum, and your results will speak for themselves:eek: . Good luck w/ your floating grow!
ps. The Hemp Goddess will not steer you wrong, and her results are second to none.
Cheers.

Latest posts

Back