First planting and hydroponic at that...day 1-25

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravishing_68

Reaction score
Ok, I got a crazy hair one day and decided I wanted to try growing hydroponic for a variety of reasons.

#1 easy to conceal
#2 been told it is totally self-sufficient (perhaps once I get the hang of things)
#3 Where I live the city is out of control and I've gotten to where I cannot trust people to buy from and so if I grow my own I know I'm only getting weed.

First planting
Day 1
Soaked seeds overnight.
Day 2
Put seeds on damp paper towel and covered with more damp paper towels. Put in mico grow box.
Day 4
Only three sprouts. Put sprouts in miracle grow soil that was in 1” clay pot which was in a shallow dish with water to soak into the pottery and soil.
Day 7
Placed pots in bottom of micro grow box, heating pad (has been in the 80’s in box on low).
Day 8
75 degrees/56% humidity. Water has 6.5pH and 350ppm.
Turned heating pad up to medium and turned light on.
Day 15
Took both these seedlings and put in 4” pot with rockwool. Put 2 teas. GROW in 2 gallons water. pH is 6.4. 659ppm. Under 400watt MH light on 24hrs. fogger going, air & water pump going. Fans are on.
Day 20
Changed water. PPM 359 pH is 6.2 with GROW. Finally got temperature to stay about 88-92. New leaves on both seedlings. The first seedling that was 4” tall is so slim it has bent. I would say both are about the same height 1 1/2 “.
Day 23
Check water pH 6.2-6.0; ppm up to 959 added a gallon of water bringing it down to 759PPM. I see active leaves producing but all bunched up, not spaced as in growing taller. The stalks are still quite slim. But I do have root growth. #1 plant has one root that can reach the water. #2 plant has good rooth growth also but has not left the netpot yet.
Day 25
Water is turning green!. Check pH still 6.2-6.0 and PPM is 759. I “leached” (took plant out of pot and rinsed roots with straight water and repacked with new rockwool) both plants. I am still concerned about their height growth and worry that I have “locked out” with too high nutrients. Time will tell… this is day 25. re reading my information my PPM is too high. I will take the plants out and clean the water holding tank.

I washed out the clear bottom and as much as the air stone tubing as possible. PPM is no 74 and pH is 6.2-6.4 I did not add any nutrient. Let’s see if this doesn’t stop the “lock out”?

Day 25 Plant 1.jpg

Day 25 Plant 2.jpg

Lookin nice. got a couple of questions though. Why are you using the mircale grow step? Can you not just plant the seeds directly into the rockwool until they sprout?
Also prior to putting the plants into the rockwool. the soil must be rinsed off completely. The nutrient water is the perfect environment for algea and bacteria growth. Soil can really mess with it.
Also you mentioned the water turning green. This sounds like algae growth. Is you nutrient water in total darkness? If light is touching it..it will promote algae growth and create other problems as well.

Also you PH sounds too high for hydro. Here is a chart that will help with you lock-out problem.

Nutrient_Chart_soill_and_hydro.JPG

Lookin nice. got a couple of questions though. Why are you using the mircale grow step? The seeds I got were FREE but old. I had two rockwool plugs and the seeds in there did not start. Where I am located there is only one hydro store that I happened upon after getting all this set up, I think my seedlings were 2 weeks old then. Next time I will definitely start in rockwool.

Can you not just plant the seeds directly into the rockwool until they sprout? Yes you most definitely can, I just didn't have the know how or the proper tools at the time.

The nutrient water is the perfect environment for algea and bacteria growth. Soil can really mess with it. Also you mentioned the water turning green. This sounds like algae growth. Is you nutrient water in total darkness? If light is touching it..it will promote algae growth and create other problems as well. That was my problem exactly! my water reservoir was in a clear plastic box (that is how it came to me, like I said I bought my caddy used on Ebay so who knows what was right from the original company and what they "modified"). I bought some plastic that is white on one side and black on the other and wrapped my water tank in it and that was the ticket! Now my water is in total darkness and without any algea 5 days later :D .

Also you PH sounds too high for hydro. Here is a chart that will help with you lock-out problem. Thank you so much!!! I'm using the information that came with the caddy and so I am loving hearing from people that are actually growing the same product, rather than a company that is making their instructions pretty generic to cover all plants.

You can see all about the box I have at http://www.sunlightsheds.com/ . Take a look see and lay your wisdom on me :)

Wow thats a nice system. Expensive too. but hey, already set-up just needed some tweaking.

Here is a valuable resource for Hydro Growers.
http://www.growingedge.com/
Its a non-MJ sight, but lots of good resources. I'd bookmark it.

I'm not a hydro grower, but follow along and pick up stuff.
If you follow along the hydro section, you'll get a feel for who knows there stuff when it comes to hydro.

Glad I helped a little.
I would watch PH more than PPM's. Also post up the maker of the nutrients your using. GROW is a generic term. If your using the ferts that came with the kit, it might be wise to post up a nutrient recomendation thread. There are tons out there. but some are made with MJ in mind, where a lot of the others are more generic.

If ya want some cheap seeds that produce some really good bud. check out
www.seedboutique.com and look under the Nirvana line. ;)

Nice box! Looks like it came with GH FloraNova, I think you just started them on it a little too soon, most say 3 weeks, then only 1/4 strength (200ppm).

Yes, Elephant Man, I totally concur with you. Actually I bought my unit used so it did not come with any nutes. I went to the hydro store here and picked up Dyna Grow and Dyna Bloom. He also gave me a bottle of Sugar Daddy, Max Bloom and a couple of other things he made into sample sizes. But with this being my first planting I opted to stay with the plan I made using an old Jorge Cervante book and just use the Dyna products.

I love this site!!! You all are the BOMB! :)

Hey Peeps! Ten days have gone by already!

Note the difference in plant 2 below
Attachment 11580

Attachment 11581

(first pic is plant 2 at 25 days and 2nd pic is plant 2 at 35 days)

102606 Day 31

I am seeing significant growth on plant two with what I would consider to be pistils in the nodes but perhaps it is too young to sex. Plant one is not advancing in growth but has more leaves producing.

I have been putting in frozen reusable ice packs to cool down the water and I think that is doing well. The water has stayed clear since I put the plastic wrap on the tank.

102706 Day 32

Came home to find plant 2 has turned into the Hulk! I swear he has doubled in size in just 3 days. Plant 1 is looking so sad. I checked the water and added some dyna gro. pH is 6.2 and ppm is 281.

103006 Day 35

Time to change the water and a new picture. pH 5.2 and PPM 161

thumb day 35 1.jpg

thumb day 35 2.jpg

110106 Day 37

Bought a digital pH balance meter and some Ona gel. You can smell the plant throughout the house even enclosed in the caddy.

I am trying the CO2 recipe (1 T yeast, 2 T sugar & fill 1 liter bottle that has hole in lid). Will see if the plant enjoys the treat.

110306 Day 39

Getting more information I see that my PPM was too low. So I added more nutrient and balanced the pH. Now I have 5.5pH & 1000ppm. The roots on this plant are incredible and it is growing by leaps and bounds. The other plant is still alive but I don’t find it even worth mentioning.

I am going to take 2 clones when it reaches 12". These are my nutes (see pic below) though I am only using Dyna-Grow at this time. The roots on this plant are very stout.

Day 39 nutes.jpg

Day 39 plant 2.jpg

Day 39 plant 2 roots.jpg

Man she really is turning into a monster isn't she. Hey that's what ya want is a big fat giant frosty budded monster. :D Looking great man can't wait to see those buds. ;)

Is this plant already sexed as female? If not, you'll be able to sex it at about 6 weeks old from the preflowers.

Look at the base of each node. When you see either a male pod or a female pistil come from the node, you'll be sure of what you have. I wouldn't take clones until you've sexed the plant. It will delay the preflowers if you do.

Good luck!

110506 Day 41 + clone cutting

The plant is over 12” now, so we took two clones and put in the flowering light 400 watt HPS 12/12 schedule.

The slower plant is not doing so grand so we chose to put it in the clone box and left the large plant in the caddy. Tomorrow is water changing day so I’ll take pics then as I am at a high moment this evening.

Using JC cloning method we obtained two cuttings, cutting at a 45 degree angle after the 4th node. We then cut off the bottom two nodes, used cloning gel and put in 2” netpots with rockwool cubes that were pre wetted with tap water that has set for 24hrs. The pots are then placed in the cloning box with cfl light, drip irrigator, fogger, and fan.

110606 Day 42

Changed water in the caddy. Added 15ml Dyna-Bloom, 10ml Top Max bloom stimulator, 5ml Sugar Daddy. pH is 5.3, ppm 760. HPS light 12on/12off. Temp is staying close to 80F with 20% humidity. Plant is now 13” tall.

Here are the two clones and the plant #1 that has not kept up with the other plant. They get sprayed with a very diluted foliar spray twice a day Which also keeps the humidity up. I don’t know if my fogger is working correctly as I don’t see a lot of fog like I had when it was in the caddy. I have the drip irrigation on and 1 cfl on 24/7.

Am I on the right track???

day 41 plant 2 flowering.jpg

day 41 plant 2 flowering 3.jpg

day 41 2 clone + one small plant.jpg

From what i can see everything is looking great. I'm not a hydro grower but enjoy them all just the same. ;) Whatever your doing keep it up.

Thank you so much for your input. I took these pictures, can others confirm that I have a female?

day 43 preflower 1.jpg

Day 43 preflower2.jpg

Day 43 preflower 3.jpg

I'm not seeing anything that looks like male or female pre flowers. Here are pictures of male and female pre flowers. This is what your looking for. ;)

male-number-2.jpg

preflowers1.jpg

Just the pics I have been looking for! Thanks TBG.
I can see that I am going to have to use a magnifying glass.

Someone sent me or I found this that helps sex them also Elephant man.

So for me it is too early to tell, I thought the one pic showed a female... have to wait and see. It is the only plant I'm growing so if it is male, I'll dump it and sprout my seeds that just came from Gypsy. Got NL, AK-48 and South African Durban Poison x Skunk #1 (freebie). I need to look up the strain.

Thank you very much for feedback!

sexident.jpg

Whats up Ravishing 68. How old is your plant? Pre flowers will show when your plant is about 6 to 8 weeks old so just keep an eye on her. That's right i said her because that's what it's gonna be. ;) FEMALE GREEN MOJO your way. :D

My plant is 6 weeks old, just changed to flowering, took two clones which are doing very well in the clone box. I have a 2nd plant in the clone box, but I think that is more that I can't kill it (hurts my feelings) rather than that I think it will ever become productive, it has stayed pretty stagnant for the past 3 weeks. These are seeds I got from friends that were over a year old so I am happy that I got 2 out of the 20+ seeds to grow.

:confused: ok, here are more pics of the plant... can it be sexed now? I took these pics towards the base of the plant.

female1.jpg

female2.jpg

female3.jpg

Ravishing_68 said:
:confused: ok, here are more pics of the plant... can it be sexed now? I took these pics towards the base of the plant.
I'm not seeing any hairs Ravishing68. I'm not sure what they call them pointy things you have in your picture but the hairs or balls will show right next to those points. ;) Look for the pre flowers about 4 nodes up from the bottom of the plant.

Latest posts

Back