First time builder supply list

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onmikesline

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm kinda new to this but i wanted to know if this list is everything i need to get started or any direction on something better would be great

I'm growing 3 or 2 AK 47s

600 W MH HPS DIMMABLE ELECTRONIC BALLAST + SUPER BULB

3 x 3 x 7 Hydroponic Dark Grow Tent Garden Dome

Hydroponic Grow System DWC Drip Combo Complete setup

MINI PH009 Pen Type pH Meter Digital Tester PH009

ADVANCED NUTRIENTS 4 oz BUNDLE 2 BIG BUD B 52 OVERDRIVE

New MTN Hydroponics 4" Inline Duct Tube Exhaust Fan Carbo

Hydroton 50 Liters - Expanded Clay Grow Rocks Hydroponics...

I was looking at the 90watt UFOs but it seems its not as good as the 600HPS

onmikesline said:
I was looking at the 90watt UFOs but it seems its not as good as the 600HPS

i have 2 of them and them together is only enough to veg with in a 2x2 area. nowhere near what you need to grow decent buds but great for veg. i switched to T5s now though, flower under HPS

is this good?
hXXp://www.ebay.com/itm/280812611208?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_3107wt_1161

i only buy aircooled hoods, i had one kinda like that when i first started and regreted buying it.

hxxp://www.htgsupply.com/Product-Digital-Greenhouse-600-watt-HPS-Grow-Light.asp

thats a good beginner setup, choose Easy Cool 6 as your hood/reflector.

then get yourself a 6" centerfugal fan to cool the lamp

how hot does this stuff get, would it be worth it to just get this with 6 grow bulbs or 8?
hXXp://www.discount-hydro.com/products/C.A.P.-MaxLume-T5-High-Output-Fluorescent-Fixtures.html

dont get too hot at all but still need some sort of circulation and exhaust in a closed space.

i have a 2x2 8 bulb T5 system, i keep it maybe a inch or so above the plants, i would say if the plant actualy touch the bulb for awhile it would burn though.

youll still need hps for flowering

so a 3x3x7 space would be good with a 2x2 with 8 bulbs T5?

youll need both imo. T5 for Veg, HPS for flower

dont they have a all in one system?

but dont HPS have veg and flower bulbs?

they have Metal halide conversion bulbs for a hps system if you want to consider that a "veg" bulb, give out less lumens than the normal bulb in the process

and vegging under hps is a complete waste of electricy imo.

it can be done no problem, but eventually youll want to start plants when the others are finishing up and thats where the T5 would come in, and have 2 seperate spaces.

yeah all i want to do is grow like maybe 2 plants for my self. so i cant just use a T5 for everything right?

you could but youll end up with fluffy,airy buds on more stretched out plants, compared to the dense good smoke youll get out of a HPS

youll want 3000 lumens per square foot when vegging, 5000 lumens per square foot in flower. and then you can use anything

a 600 watt digital ballast is what you need imo, it will come with a MH bulb for veg and HPS bulb to flower with, you will need ventalation= exhaust with passive intake.

Also you mentioned a PH tester, thats ok for soil but you will also need a TDS/PPM meter for hydro.

ok great, thank you so much, so a Hydroponics 4" Inline Duct Tube Exhaust Fan works good for venting and just add some fans to right?

You need a 600 watt electronic ballast, a hps bulb, either a mH bulb or t-5 for veg and a 6" inline fan(not a booster fan, check out Vortex fans), a pH pen, a ppm pen, nutes(I like GH3 part for hydro) and an oscillating fan.

A mH will suffice for a full grow(I have used a mH for a complete grow bu later changed to a hps for flower) but most growers like using a hps when in flower.

onmikesline said:
ok great, thank you so much, so a Hydroponics 4" Inline Duct Tube Exhaust Fan works good for venting and just add some fans to right?

No. Go with a 6" centrifuge type exhaust fan.

I'm with Puffin on the air cooled reflector.

Unfortunately, marijuana grows best with different spectrum lights for veg and bloom. Vegging does best with blue spectrum lights--something in the 6500K (blue range and flowering does better with something in the 2500-3000K (red) range. Many of us here use T5s to veg as opposed to metal halide. I have found that I can use less watts of T5 light and still get tight bushy growth. As far as flowering, the hands down best light is a HPS.

Latest posts

Back