First time cannabis use tips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannabisforthought

Reaction score
Hi guys,

What are your tips for using cannabis for the first time?

Which strains (indica/sativa/hybrid etc) would you choose and why?

If you could go back in time, what things would you do differently to get the best experience?

Excited to hear your thoughts! :D

That would be hard to say. What kinda high are you looking for? If you want a high thats for moving around and being chatty that would be a Sativa Strain,,,if you wanna get stoned and chill,,that would be a Indica Strain. If you want a little of both,, that would be a Hybrid.
I Likem all because im a pot head.😁

1st thing is if you can wait until 18 or older, some younger people have been having reactions to the herb while still under development to their bodies. OK now.
I would try it with a good close friend who is schooled in the ways of the herb, and someone who will not let you get all high and then screw with you. Smoke with a close pot head friend and then go from there.

There are a variety of ingestion methods now, edibles are common for people who do not wish to smoke. I would say titration is easiest with smoking because the effects are near immediate. You can take a toke or two and decide to wait awhile and ride it out to the level of comfort desired, or you can easily have one more toke. Edibles, once you eat it, you're in for the ride, which is where the "go slow, start low" saying comes from.

If you are smoking, go with flower, not dabs or cartridges. For a beginner, I like to recommend something with a THC level in the upper teens, the top shelf 28% stuff might be too intense. I'd also recommend more of an Indica leaning plant considering Sativa leaning plants have a higher tendency to increase heart rate and feelings of paranoia / panic.

With edibles, I generally suggest starting with 5mg edible. It really depends on the persons experience level with mind altering substances, their fear level of taking Cannabis and also their health related conditions. If a person is very worried about taking it and thinking they may overdose (which we know is basically impossible) I will often times give them placebo at first. If their mind takes over and they think they are tripping, I know it is all mental and Cannabis may not be right for them.

There are many more things I can expand on here, but in a nutshell, hopefully that helps. Safety first..... hence all the safety meetings :)

There are a variety of ingestion methods now, edibles are common for people who do not wish to smoke. I would say titration is easiest with smoking because the effects are near immediate. You can take a toke or two and decide to wait awhile and ride it out to the level of comfort desired, or you can easily have one more toke. Edibles, once you eat it, you're in for the ride, which is where the "go slow, start low" saying comes from.

If you are smoking, go with flower, not dabs or cartridges. For a beginner, I like to recommend something with a THC level in the upper teens, the top shelf 28% stuff might be too intense. I'd also recommend more of an Indica leaning plant considering Sativa leaning plants have a higher tendency to increase heart rate and feelings of paranoia / panic.

With edibles, I generally suggest starting with 5mg edible. It really depends on the persons experience level with mind altering substances, their fear level of taking Cannabis and also their health related conditions. If a person is very worried about taking it and thinking they may overdose (which we know is basically impossible) I will often times give them placebo at first. If their mind takes over and they think they are tripping, I know it is all mental and Cannabis may not be right for them.

There are many more things I can expand on here, but in a nutshell, hopefully that helps. Safety first..... hence all the safety meetings :)
thanks for reply
in fact there is a lot of new information to me :)

thanks for reply
in fact there is a lot of new information to me :)
I've worked in a pot shop, trust me, I can go on for days :)

In all seriousness though, I'm a huge advocate of education and harm reduction. If you give grandma a 100mg cookie and she has conversations with Elvis, she isn't likely to go back to something that has a real potential of being a benefit to her. I encourage people who have tried other medicine with no success to give weed a chance.

1st thing is if you can wait until 18 or older, some younger people have been having reactions to the herb while still under development to their bodies. OK now.
I would try it with a good close friend who is schooled in the ways of the herb, and someone who will not let you get all high and then screw with you. Smoke with a close pot head friend and then go from there.
And don't look your mom straight in the eye, because mom's just know!

I can't recall what strain of weed I smoked for the first time. I was 15 years old (a developing brain??).
I'm 61 now and still puffin every day, no early onset Alzeimers yet.

I have a story about 1st time smokers and ill effects.

I was in my late 20's. Met a nice young lady at a bar and we arrived at my place a few hours later to party.
My little friend was excited because he was about to get out to play with a very willing partner.

We had a drink. I asked her if she smoked. She replied - awhile ago but she would partake with me.

10 minutes later - my little friend was cursing me up & down - because the young lady was in the bathroom - hugging the porcelain - barfing like a sick dog..

She was out of commission.
She stayed out of commission.

No score for my little guy that night!!!

I can't recall what strain of weed I smoked for the first time. I was 15 years old (a developing brain??).
I'm 61 now and still puffin every day, no early onset Alzeimers yet.

I have a story about 1st time smokers and ill effects.

I was in my late 20's. Met a nice young lady at a bar and we arrived at my place a few hours later to party.
My little friend was excited because he was about to get out to play with a very willing partner.

We had a drink. I asked her if she smoked. She replied - awhile ago but she would partake with me.

10 minutes later - my little friend was cursing me up & down - because the young lady was in the bathroom - hugging the porcelain - barfing like a sick dog..

She was out of commission.
She stayed out of commission.

No score for my little guy that night!!!
I don't drink anymore, I cant, like it a bit too much. Anyway back in the day I could never mix pot with alcohol. I'd get sick as a dog! Most my life its been one or the other. This hobby is much safer, cheaper then drinking.

Cannabis affects its users differently, and for some first-time smokers, it will have no effect on them at all. That is completely normal and extremely common. Others will get light-headed, while some may get completely stoned and start tripping. You might get the munchies, or maybe you’ll just fall asleep. It really depends on the strain, the amount you intake, and your mood.

Latest posts

Back