First Time Cloning... Question on leaves

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Bud

Reaction score
Hey dudes,

I just started my first set of clones... Got a pretty easy to grow strane from a friend. They all took but one so my guess is that it's a pretty easy to clone plant. They have been in the little green house under a flouro light. I just noticed that a couple of them are starting to get a gold to goldish white leaf edges. The edges are turning these colors as well as they look dry... I am on a well so there is no clorene in my water. Should I take the plastic top off so they can get more air?

Right on, thanks for the info...:confused:

Yip. I only leave the lid on my propegator for the first day and then I take the lid of for around four hours and by the end off the week they can usually support themselves. The less time with the lid on the better in other words. If you see them start to shrivel though mist them and put the lid back on. Once you get the hang of it you cant remember why it was so hard. Good Luck

Yellowing means there is currently too much light and the plant is using the energy stored in the leaves to survive.

I have attached a couple of photos, please take a look and see if you recognize my problem..

Thanks for looking... Also, thanks for the great advise.. I took the lid off of the green house thing... Should I put the light to 18 on and 6 off? I have it on 24 hrs right now....

Thanks again....

Pic061.JPG

Pic062.JPG

Pic063.JPG

Pic064.JPG

24 hrs is fine with clones. i wouldnt swtich just simply because of the stress.

couple things- definetely need alot of air circulation always.

are you using pre-fertilized soil?

did you see their root establishment before planting them?

it looks like you may have had poor humidity during propagation (rooting the cutting) - and it also looks like you may have had a couple underwatering to overwatering accidents - like the soil dried faster than you thought and they were sagging, so you dumped alot of water on there? innocent mistake if so

could be explained if you are using prefertilized soil- that is always a no no.

to me it looks like that- with maybe a tad bit of overwatering, and possibly poor humidity and air circulation during its pivitol days of propagation.

in your first pic; the dense spottyness of the leaves in the back part of the picture (the real clear part) dont look like anything that ive said above.

that one, to me atleast, looks like mites, and or a disease. like maybe the cuttings were takin with a dirty blade, etc.

thats what that looks like IMO. which very well could be the main problem with all of them.

ask your friend if he sterilized the sciccors or whatever he used.

if he didnt you can probably bet thats it- mixed in with the other things possibly.

but you are right, it is easy to clone a plant and youve got what it takes. so now you can go educate your friend a little bit.

tell him to stop selling shty clones. :) just playing though

if i had a penny for every time i fked up, i wouldnt be growin anymore ;)

good luck, let us know

ob1kinsmokey said:
if i had a penny for every time i fked up, i wouldnt be growin anymore

Thas for sure!!

Thanks OB... I just started to see mites and some webs on some of the plants.. Is there a way to kill them or am I screwed? Also, I looked and the soil that they are in is fertilized a bit.. The soil is a germination type so it's pretty mild but, there is some fertilizer in it... I have put a small fan on them.. Do you think that these are salvageable?

lord knows, huh kade haha

possibly. if you just used regular potting soil it wont be a problem. the soil is pre fertilized only if your bag of soil has NPK levels (like 2-5-2) on it.

its a btch with prefertilized soil because you cant flush it out. it just makes it worse. if you know fer sure that it is pre fertilized soil, then i suggest transplanting asap. but make sure you know fersure first.

it looks like mites could be the problem if you said you saw some. thats whats it looked like to me. there are treatments, but given their age it iwll be hard for them to come back strong. clones stress farelly easy, depending, and not only will the mites stress them out, but the treatment will as well. - and also any leaf that is more than 50% effected will be lost eventually.

the best thing you could do, although not as realistic, is to put them in hydro. lol that would be your best bet to save them.

just see if your soil is pre fertilized and go from there.

you cant have a huge infestation because you dont have huge plants. so GENTLY turn your leaves over a couple times a day and GENTLY scrape or squish the bottoms of the leaves to kill any bugs.

make sure you dont squeeze to hard or the leaf will die. get a dull knife and scrape the bottoms onto a napkin so that you can then throw the napkin away somewhere, and they dont just land in the soil.

you may want to get some more clones from him and start off fresh. just do a thorough check of them and make sure they dont have mights before you buy them. and maybe only grab three or 4.

get newer ones, and mist AROUND them (not directly on them) very often until they get bigger.

dont water the soil so much. a LITTLE BIT of drooping is OK, that means the roots are growing and searching for water- which means the plant will grow that much faster if done with ease.

water around them a little, keep the sides of the soil wet always, and then when drooping gets a little bad, water a little bit in the middle (never overwater after you underwater, a young plant will surely die from that)

once they get a little bit of girth and more leaves on them. you can eliminate any mites without pesticides by dropping your temperatures.

let us know about that soil

If you have mites... you NEED to kill them all now... if not it will not be able to be controlled. A week can be HUGE for mites... if you can.. try washing the whole plant in running water and wipe off the mites... you absolutely need to get some poisons either one, avid.. or more then one store bought product.

be very careful when choosing pesticides though. since you are dealing with small clones you will want to stay away from organics that use cloves, and stay away from direct spray treatment. get a small fogger if you choose to do so. pesticides can kill leaves much faster than mites if used unwisely. just keep that in mind.

Used 50% ISO and 50% water with a few drops of dish soap.. I just started to put neam oil in my water for watering. I can't find any mites at all and although I lost about half of my plants, I didn't loose them all.. A few are still pretty shakey looking but I have about a half dozen that look really good taking in account what they have been through....

I haven't seen any roots sticking out the bottom of the planter yet, could the mites have slowed growth? Its been three weeks tomorrow since planting..

they can stunt a small plant easily yes. but it is usually the treatments by that plants counterpart that stunt it the most.

remember that your problem will not be huge. your plants are not big- your infestation is not big. treating it like so will result in stunted growth, moreso than what the mites may have done.

keeping to your regular schedule and taking care of mites along the way is best. a litte scraping and pinching every now and then is all you need.

if you cant see them its because there arent many. i would strongly suggest to stop treating them with iso and neam oil.

just water them back to good health. get it nice and warm in there for them, and get some girth back on them. they arent hard to find, and are much easier to deal with when your plant can handle it.

i guarentee you you have a very, very small mite problem right now. if you just pay attention to them as your plants grow it wont be bad. scraping and pinching your leaves when you see them is really all you need to do right now bud, fer sure.

good luck tho. you should replace that neam oil with some superthrive :p

Einstein oil works well and so does Bio Soy....these are all natural products...my husband uses a mix of them both together and it has worked wonders

i would avoid spraying the new clones until you are certain they're fully rooted...they will end up mush :(

contain the mites to one spot by using diatomaceous earth ...place powder all around where the infestation is...this powder is like walking on glass for the bugs...

another tip...make a paste of this powder mixed with some water Einstein Oil and Bio Soy...paint the bottom of the stem ...thus stopping any mites from traveling up ...we have done this and it works

Bug Control 023 (Medium).jpg

ob1kinsmokey said:
remember that your problem will not be huge. your plants are not big- your infestation is not big. treating it like so will result in stunted growth, moreso than what the mites may have done.

I disagree... if you don't kill every mite ASAP you can easily have a HUGE infestation in 3-7 days. They don't F around... they just F S Up.

Wow, I think that I may have beaten them... I haven't seen any mites for days now.. I have to say that the ISO and water with watering with neam oil worked... I have to also say that the plants are really stunted by the treatment. I have them under the big lights now. They are starting to really take off but, they are well behind on there growth...
Here is another question for you guys... And I want to say thanks for all the info, this has been a great way for me to learn.. My other question is, can I clone off of these plants or will the clones be messed up as well???

a clone is a clone :) . im sure you could bring it back to good health. its only as good as its mother and saragat mother ;) (spelling?)

def agree to disagree then :)- there is still the nature of things IMO. i have had way more than my share of infestations and have used a wide variety of products, and have gone through trial and error just like urself. but the nature of things is still what it is.

they cannot grow past their inviroment. a small plant does not have the means to house an infestation. it has hardly any leaf cover ; food, or root mass for larvae.

def. i know an infestation can get out of hand if not delt with- but surely it cannot if there is no crop to support their life and reproduction. ya know what i mean?

the infestation, IMO is only as big as the crop. a small amount of bugs are very easy to kill- especially when they have little food and housing to redeem themselves with. if covered easily before it gets out of hand, you wont need pesticides at all. and i myself never use them anymore i use weather. dryer, and more cold enviroment, along with a little scraping here and there and my problems never get out of hand.

the nature of things is also, imo, that small plants are more sensitive and will stunt very easily with harsh pesticides and home remedies.

but we all gotta do it our own way and learn our own way. what works for one may not work for another-

one thing we can all agree on is that there is no true right or wrong...and regardless of how we get there we all loooovveee the end product ;)

Latest posts

Back