First TIme Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoman

Reaction score
Hey,

I've never grown before, I just germinated a seed I found in a bag and planted it under a flourescent bulb. This is my seedling, the round leaves aren't looking healthy, i'm going to try letting the soil dry out longer. They are turning yellow, although the picture makes them look red. Pics taken over 7 Day period. What do you think?

Gr2 copy.jpg

Gr4 copy.jpg

Gr11.jpg

Gr12.jpg

Gr13.jpg

Whats up yoman. Welcome to the forum. So far so good. When watering your plants just take your finger and stick it in the soil 1 or 2 inches if it's dry then your plants need water. you should only have to water them every 3 or 4 days. Good luck on your grow.

your plant looks like it is stretching. if i were you i would add 2 more inches of soil and lower your light alittle bit. you also should have a fan blowing on your plant if you dont already.

yoman said:
Hey,

I've never grown before, I just germinated a seed I found in a bag and planted it under a halogen bulb. This is my seedling, the round leaves aren't looking healthy, i'm going to try letting the soil dry out longer. They are turning yellow, although the picture makes them look red. Pics taken over 7 Day period. What do you think?
The halogen bulb you're using isn't good for your plant. It produces more heat and less lumens than either Florescents or a halide. For new plants, until they are mature, I would recommend using basic shop lights from Home Depot. They are about 10 bucks apiece and one will do until the plant is larger.

At this stage, you should only be giving them water, no nutes.

Good luck man.

Hey, thanks for the comments

I made a typo, I'm actually using flourescents not halogen right now for the seedling stage, and probably switching to HPS or MH eventually.

What would adding two inches of soil do? How can you tell its stretching? Right now we just have a flourescent bulb in a lamp held between an inch and two inches above it. We also have two 40" flourescents, but the seedling seemed to grow better under the more concentrated lightbulb. I'll try and add some more soil and see if that helps.

The plant is a little bent looking because we tried sunlight for a day, but later figured it wouldn't be good to change its light environment like that.

The plant has seemed to slow down growth except for the leaves which seem to be getting bigger by the day. Any tips for growth?

listen to those guys....they know what they're talking about ;)

add some dirt to make her stem more stable....you shouldn't have that long stem...add the dirt and root growth will start where you covered her

get your light as close as possible without burning the wee baby

see how long the stem is?? thats what they mean by streaching...and if light is too far away as she gets bigger you will have too much space between your nodes...your aiming for much new growth with as little height gain as possible

I put more soil around the plant, and watered it alot when it got dry to try and flush out the nutrients I poorly used. The plant grew a lot today, and more tiny leaves are appearing. Its still a little yellow in areas though, hopefully after the soil dries it will regain some green.?

ab1.jpg

although i am not very experienced from what i see i would water with just pure water for the next week or so. dont use nutes on your plant until you get your 2nd node. and when you do use your nutes make sure its 1/4th strength and you use it in the right way.

The plant has been growing for a little over 2 weeks. Does this look normal for its age? I figure it is a little smaller than it should be because of problems early on.

I've been watering it every day and a half now, yesterday the plant wilted after not being watered for a little over 38 hours. We watered it and within 30 minutes it was back up, so it seems okay.

Gr16.jpg

ab4sml.jpg

looks about right...mine was the same size at day 7

no nvm...urs is pretty slow starting b/c of the light u used...it looks alot better though

greendaygirl at it again...ur seedling is almost as cute as u :p

Because the plant was looking pretty bad, I transplanted the plant into a much larger 3.6 gallon pot and made a soil mixture of 2/3 soil, 1/3 vermiculite+perlite. The plant was apparently on its way to death before the transplant, but it seems to be doing fine. Here are the latest pics.

Ab7sml.jpg

smlGr18.jpg

Here are newest pics. One leaf has a dark tip, I wonder what this means...

smlab.jpg

smlgr.jpg

Latest posts

Back