First time grower.....advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seebs

Reaction score
ive just tried growing plants for the first time....i have them in soil with 400w hps lighting. im just wondering about how i should fertilize it seeing i only have a lowes and home depot near. also its been growing for about 1 month now and is about 6 inches and pretty decent size leaf on the top, should i be doing anything particular with the lighting pattern or fertilizer. thanks!

whats up seebs. what kind of soil? do you keep your light on 24/7? do you have any pictures? how high do you have the light from your plant? tell us a bit about your setup.

yea what i have right now is a 10 gallon tank with soil from lowes im not really sure what kind of soil actually, i have a 400 watt hps sun system lighthing set about 4 or 5 feet above it. the thing is my friend sprayed come fertilizer in there when i wasn't there and i know it was way to concentrated and the plant has like decent size leaf at the top that looks pretty healthy but then there are small leaves farther down the stem and then ones under that which are wilting....im going to start germinating other seeds cause it seems this one may die because of the fertilizer issue....also i have been keeping the lighting on 24/7 is that right??

Do you mean a 10 gallon fish tank?
If so you will most certainly need drain holes. You do not want to overwater or have fungus start to grow. Your lights should be a lot closer. Hold your hand about 20 inches under the light for a while, if it does not feel hot to your hand then the plant will not be to hot. Maybe someone else can confirm this but I would lower my lights to about 2 feet or less.

whats up seebs. yup your friend shouldn't have given the little sucker any ferts IMO. what are your temps in your room? do you have any venalation in your room? a fan or something blowing on your light? i think you have your light to far from your plants. it should be about 2 feet away. yes you can have your light on 24/7. how often do you water?

yea i have a fan for ventilation....i water usually when i feel the soil is somewhat dry but i don't water to much...i usually spray around where the roots would be then mist the actual leaves a small amount....how much watering should be done and what fertilizer should i be using....i have a thermometer in there at its usually about 70 to 75. im also lookin at transplanting the plant that i have now what should i look at for that and also when i start growing a few other plants what should i start them out in?

get a 3 gallon or 5 gallon tub .get a plastic top to cover the tub ,cut it to make sure it fits ,get some net cups,you can find similar cups at the dollar store.

cut how ever many holes you are planting a 3 gallon 6 to 9 holes .a five gallon 9-12 holes 3 in each rool,take the cups in trace how ever many holes cut the holes out , cut a small hole for air pump or waterpump.make sure your cups fit .fill your resover 1 inch from top ,fill you net cups with1/2 to 1 inch depending the size of hydrogen rocks .make sure your rockwool cubes are wet ,put 1 seed in rockwool cube ,after germination ,carefully drop hydrogen rocks on the side of rockwool,dont stuff,because water wont get though.test ph,make sure your lights on ,you must have clean air comiing in and out every 5 mins ,a bathroom fan at celing going out to another room and a air input,coming in from the same room as the air output.you need ducting and two batrom fans,along with one regular house fans,ill try to get you some pics of the setup heres a ic of how the top should be made ou t of plastichttp://www.alpharubicon.com/basicnbc/5galfilterrequa.htm

uk.jpg

hntji.jpg

seebs said:
yea i have a fan for ventilation....i water usually when i feel the soil is somewhat dry but i don't water to much...i usually spray around where the roots would be then mist the actual leaves a small amount....how much watering should be done and what fertilizer should i be using....i have a thermometer in there at its usually about 70 to 75. im also lookin at transplanting the plant that i have now what should i look at for that and also when i start growing a few other plants what should i start them out in?
i wouldn't mist your plants this can cause sun burn. i would lower your light to 2 feet. also next time you water stick your finger 1 to 2 inches in the dirt if its dry then water them. i like to start my plants out in 16oz plastic cups then transplant to 3 gallon pots after 2 weeks.

yea i would listen to b grunt,although im misting my plant, with a solution for pest,but im, taking a clean sock or shirt and gently wiping the surface,do and i mean, never spray fertilizer, on it ,your leaves are good as dead ,espeacialy under a hps,just a ,simple drop of fertilizer ,will burn a spot ,in your plant

dont fertilize every day ,every 2 weeks ,espeacialy in soil,i say flora bloom collection to get you stems nice and strong,superthrive ,watermax,and big bud on ly use big bud in flower stage,bat guano is good too .i say thats all you need for soil.make sure you make a pre mix foe water ,by using a eco air pump or any air pump with a airstone attached to the end ,put your solution in the 1 gallon bottle or picther,and let it dissovle and mix for about a hour before ,but i do mines the day before to get rid of clorophine in the tap water .never water directly on the plant only on the sides .thell need 200 ml for veg and when you get to flower 400ml every two days or when dry,if your using a spray nozel you can time how long it take for you to get to 200 ml in a measuring cup,thats b grunt and mutt are good sources for soil ask the too.you can also ask stoney bud,mass production or skunk.

00--.jpg

hiug8.jpg

uuh.jpg

guugu.jpg

Ok I read this thing 5X and Hick is right. (wow this was confusing, I didn't know if I was in a hydro section or soil):

1. Listen to hick. Read them grow guides. Even if you hate reading.

2. Yes to B. Grunt :yup your friend shouldn't have given the little sucker any ferts IMO. what are your temps in your room? do you have any venalation in your room? a fan or something blowing on your light? i think you have your light to far from your plants. it should be about 2 feet away. yes you can have your light on 24/7

3. Yes and no to B. Grunt and gqone: (you'll see why) I wouldn't mist your plants this can cause sun burn. and
never spray fertilizer, on it ,your leaves are good as dead ,espeacialy under a hps,just a ,simple drop of fertilizer ,will burn a spot ,in your plant

This statement is right and wrong at the same time. If you have a nutrient deficency you may need to do what is called a foliar spray (which most fertilizers have a recipe for on the box). If you have a nutrient deficency this may be the best course of action may not. this is a statement that has to be handle at the time with pics. So don't totally take this as fact as it depends on the situation.

you: what should i use as a fertilizer???
You want something good get the fox-farms soil trio mix. see you through a full grow, and not too hard to work with [KISS (keep it simple stupid) is my philosphy]. but you may have to order it online. If not and have to go cheap get a scotts product. no miracle grow.

Hope I helped. Get pics up dude. that will make this easier too. Good Luck. and read the grow guide.

Latest posts

Back