First time grower, critique me!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digitald

Reaction score
Hey all. I’ve recently decided to grow some bag seed I got a month or so ago. Never grown anything before, so I read up quite a bit before I started anything. Only problem is there is a LOT of information out there for someone like me and it’s easy to get overwhelmed. Since this is my first grow I know I’m going to make mistakes, but that’s how you learn, so it’s fine. I just want to try and minimize any damage I might do in the early stages, lol. I’m just buying supplies as I need them. I don’t want to blow a few hundred bucks to find out I don’t have a green thumb. I’ll just run through what I’ve done and my setup and if something is *** backwards, can I get a point in the right direction?

Supplies:
5 seeds from a bag. No idea on the strain
CFLs – I have 8 6400K 23 watts, and 6 2700K 23 watts. 1600 Lumens each. Will probably buy more (2700Ks at least) once I figure out how to rig it all up.
Organic Miracle Grow Potting Soil – Mistake to buy. Did more research and bought…
Black Gold Potting Soil
Small crappy fan
Closet grow space – haven’t measured it, but I’d guess when I clear the thing out would be about 2’ x 4’ x 5’.

I started by germinating 5 seeds, 3 paper towel method, 2 in a dark cup of water. 2/3 of the paper towel ones sprouted in about 48-72 hours, the cup ones took about a week to crack and the taproot did not grow nearly as fast as the paper towel ones.

I bought Miracle Grow potting soil (first mistake) and planted the two paper towel germinated seeds in the soil. I flushed the pot with water, let it drain for a few hours and planted them. The first one took off, the 2nd one is having problems though. The first set of real leaves has some yellowish spots on it. After reading up, I figured nute burn from the MG soil, so ran out and bought some black gold soil and transplanted them.

Few days later, plants haven’t changed as far as I can tell; I’m guessing it’s the shock of moving them. The first plant that was doing pretty good is starting to droop a bit… I don’t think I’ve over watered it. I give them about 100ml of water every other day (too much for a 4" diameter pot?). The soil looks dry the next day, but the container still has a little weight to it. Should I try watering them with a spray bottle until the roots take better hold? I read somewhat that water can “burn” the leaves when it evaporates if they are close to the CFLs. I don’t really see that happening though.

I just planted 2 more germinated seeds into wax cups with holes cut into the bottom for drainage. I’m starting out with Black Gold this time so hopefully they will fare better. They did take awhile to germinate though… so who knows what they’ll do.

Main things I'm still confused about:

A soil ratio mix. I'm using it straight out of the bag, so that could be a drainage issue. I know I should have mixed it with something, but I have no idea on a good ratio. Any pointers for that? Like how much soil vs perlite etc...

Watering. Is there a good rule of thumb to go off of? I really have no idea what I'm doing in this department. Right now they are in 4 inch (I think) peat pots. Whats a good rough watering routine I should be following?

Attached a pic of my current setup too.

Long winded post I know, but any advice would be great! Thanks guys!

GR.JPG

Hello Dig :)

Your over watering, only water it every 4-5 days when they are babies, that pot your using will hold a lot of moisture.

Water it more as it grows obviously.

Is the container the pot is sitting in catching the water that runs out of the bottom of the pot?

Is your fan blowing on the seedling?

Have you got a PH tester?

how much soil vs perlite etc...

20% ;)

Drainage is important.

:peace:

Latest posts

Back