First time grower with red stems/yellow/spotting leaves

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey as for your clones you really need to cut half of the big fan leafs off this will help with the way clones hang down

growgreen420 said:
Is there any way to put my clones in a slow growth/"dormant" state. I only have one grow room which is being used for flowering right now and wanna keep my clones a little smaller until I harvest and can move the clones into the grow room. I was thinking about just exposing them to a smaller amount of light?

That will make them tall and lanky, stretched.
what you want is once rooted keep the the light as bright as possible and as close as possible, this keeps them short with compact nodes.

To add to what Growdude said if you have to just take another clone and go with the smaller one... I decided to have a seperate flowering area so I could clone but even with that I'd have an 8-10 week veg between harvests and will probably only be able to do 2-3 plants in a 2x5.5 ft area.

The Silver Bullet Special said:
To add to what Growdude said if you have to just take another clone and go with the smaller one... I decided to have a seperate flowering area so I could clone but even with that I'd have an 8-10 week veg between harvests and will probably only be able to do 2-3 plants in a 2x5.5 ft area.

Yea, I do the Mom plant thing with just a 2-3 week vegg.
I only have a tent and a very small closet for the mother, just a light on her no fans no nothing and she does quite well.

So its easy and with such a short vegg time It works great.

Okay thanks for the info! So far the clones are hanging in there. One clone lost all its leaves besides one but has new, healthy growth, coming on top. Other than that the other clones have already grown new leaves and, fingers crossed, they will start growing up in no time.

And yes, next time I will cut the tips of the leaves off. What does this do exactly? Allow the plant to take in more water when in the cloning process (since the roots aren't developed yet)?

Thanks again for the info! This site, rocks! lol

It does the exact opposite, cutting the leaves willl reduce water loss through transpiration and slow photosynthesis since there isnt as much leaf there to conduct the process. (Someone correct me if im wrong its been a long day lol)

The Silver Bullet Special said:
It does the exact opposite, cutting the leaves willl reduce water loss through transpiration and slow photosynthesis since there isnt as much leaf there to conduct the process. (Someone correct me if im wrong its been a long day lol)

lol

That makes sense, too.

Yeah, what SBS said is right. When you are trying to root cuttings, you don't want much vegging process happening. You want to "pause" the upper growth so that the plant will switch over the hormones that control growth of leaves to the hormones that grow roots. So you want to try to suspend as much upper activity as possible without harming the cutting.

I have found that when I use a single 54w "bloom" bulb and have it turn off for 30minutes every 4 hours, I get really great root growth within 10 days of setting them in the cloner. :)

If you veg under t-5's it's a good idea to put your cuttings on top of the light fixture so it gets indirect light for the first three days so it doesn't stress the cuttings. I also take the mom off of nutes for 3 days and feed straight water before I take the cuttings. I go from cutting to transplant in two weeks this way.

Thanks guys for the info. Yeah I did take some new cuttings not too long ago and cut the leaf tips off. They seem to not be falling over as much as the other clones I did where I didn't cut the tips of the leaves.

With what is going in my grow space I'm not going to clone these plants.... not worth it... I'm ready to get into some satori and just learn one strain at a time.

That is a wise idea. I have found that by settling on one or two strains and working on perfecting them, you end up better off as you really learn the plants needs and how to optimize your grow for that plant and get the most from it. :) As I say this I have 5 different strains that I have been working with :doh: As soon as I figure out which ones are the best, I will narrow them down a bit. Maybe just 3 strains :)

Hushpuppy said:
That is a wise idea. I have found that by settling on one or two strains and working on perfecting them, you end up better off as you really learn the plants needs and how to optimize your grow for that plant and get the most from it. :) As I say this I have 5 different strains that I have been working with :doh: As soon as I figure out which ones are the best, I will narrow them down a bit. Maybe just 3 strains :)

I totally agree. I am also trying to narrow down what I am growing and stick with some I really like. If I can get it down to 5 strains, I will be happy. I really want to run 2 flowering spaces and harvest every month.

Yeah definitely need more flower space for me as well. And a couple spaces for clones, too. That would be nice. All in due time. I just have to re frame from going to crazy haha

Latest posts

Back