First time grower with red stems/yellow/spotting leaves

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
growgreen420 said:
Oh and a couple day ago one plants touched the t5 lights and fried a bunch of leaves. Will the affect anything? Will the plant still grow well?

Nah thats just a little burn you want to avoid heat burn or "heat stress" while flowering. Some mornings when I wake up my plants will be bumped up to the bulb. I just raise the light and see if my fans need adjusted and they keep on growin away without problems.

I'm just a little confused as to why I have a burn on my plants in the middle, I'm thinking either lockout or too strong of nutes I've been feeding 1/2 but last time I fed 3/4th because I was lacking N with gh3 part. My plants sure drink up the water fast 1/2gallon every two days.

I have noticed this too on my plants. I was feeding at 1/2 strength but some leaves look like the leaves you have in your pictures. I am now feeding 1/3 to see if that helps at all.

Is it safe to say I can expect the plants to double in height during flowering?

They will forsure get bigger how much bigger is hard to tell... I'm going to be growing 3-4 plants that will probably completely fill a 2'x5.5' space and their veg time will be 8-12 weeks for how ever long it takes to flower. I'm going to take clones and wait for them to root then while the mother plants are flowering their babies will be growing. This isnt with my current plants I'm just going to grow those out. I will take clones of my satori and white widow or an indica strain for my second choice.

Thanks!

I, too, plan to have the clones grow while the other plants are flowering.

Some plants will stretch to 2-2.5 times their veg size, while others will barely stretch at all. It very much depends on the strain. It seems like the more sativa they are, the more they will stretch, but I am sure there are exceptions to that.

I have found that you can slow the stretching a bit when they go into flower by pinching them at the topmost internode(space on stem between leaves) just enough to crush the inner-hurd(meat inside the stem) to soften the stem some. you don't have to crush it to the point that the top falls over but if it does it won't hurt anything. If you do this to all the highest branches once each week, it will stop them from stretching and will cause the other smaller branches start shooting up while the plant does the repairs to the stems.

Because it isn't bad damage, it won't stress the plant too much. After about the 3rd or 4th week you don't have to do it anymore as the plants will quit stretching. But you will notice that the branches will have formed thick areas around the damage (which will make it impossible to pinch in the same spot twice). If a branch falls over I guarentee it will be standing up by the next day. just a couple weeks ago I pinched a branch and bent it over in the morning and by lunch it was standing right back up. :)

GG; I looked at the RW cloner kit and I think that would work just fine. I use the rapid rooter that Advanced nutrients sells but it is a different material. I have found, The key to any of the "rapid rooters" is to keep a very close eye on them so that they stay moist but not soaked but don't let them dry out either. I watered mine with a medicine eyedropper so that I could put only a couple ml of water on them. And I set them on a bed of hydroton so that they wouldn't stand in water and allow the excess water to drain away. :)

good because I have a feeling my plants are gonna be out of control I'm not sure if I should throw a screen over them and do a semi scrog to keep height down

Yeah I was going to run out of room if they double their height. lol.

I did the clones today in RW with root gell and placed them in a doom with a light.... They are kinda falling over now and looking "sad"... is this normal?

I will try to have pics up later.

And I switched over to flowering, last night, with my homemade HPS hood lol. It works really well!

Okay the clones are starting to perk back up and are almost standing straight up lol. Just got worried there for a moment I didn't know what to expect... .first time cloning...

p.s. Can't find my camera right now so no pics until I find it :(

Hey guys. Can someone shed a little light on my questions?

1. Should I mist the clones if they get dry looking, daily...?
2. Should I water the rockwool at all? (I soaked it prior to planting)
3. Should I keep the vents open in the humidity dome?
4. I have a small FL light about 8 inches above the plants... will this be okay?

I know I ask a lot of questions lol.

If i had more cloning experience i would help more but from what ive read on her people leave the vents closed and sprits the inside of the dome for i think the first week or so then open the vents half way.

Ok thank you! I have read similar things as well. Just want to get some expert advice.

Sorry I missed this yesterday. It very much varies depending on your situation. I have found that my plants do better if I don't use a hood and don't mist them. My Bro has an EZ-cloner and mists but doesn't use the hood. I think if you are in a humid environment and use a cloner that produces humidity then you don't need to mist or use a dome. but if you are in a dry environment then you will need to either mist, dome, or both. When I use the rapid rooters, I water them with an eye dropper so that I can soak them but not too much. But I also pick them up daily and feel the bottoms to see if they are very wet or just damp. You don't want to let them dry out, but you don't want them floating either. I like to set mine in a container on top of an inch or 2 of hydroton and water them the first time and any time they are getting dry, but I also pour some water into the hydroton to keep it wet but not let the water be deep enough to have the rooters sitting in it. By having the hydroton very wet, it allows the rooters to suck the moisture up from it between waterings. Hope this helps :)

I'm really hesitant to jump into cloning. I guess I wont learn till I try.. all my rapid rooters molded in the bag I had them in... I guess those are things you have to use fast?

Thanks for the replies! And yes your comments helped a lot! lol The clones are bright green and standing straight up! :) Hope they stay this way, now. lol *knock on wood

I am just using my hands right now to feel the heat coming off my hps light but does anyone know what a "safe" distance for a 400w hps should be above the plants? Like a foot?

yea I think like a foot is the minimum, but it really depends on your air exchange setup... as with everything in growing, just err on the side of caution and work your way up (or down I guess)

sMACk

I've read on here that some people move their hand from the canopy to the light until they can start to feel heat then back off an inch to set light height.

Latest posts

Back