first time grower

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masonUofA

masonUofA
Reaction score
Hey everyone tihis is my first time on here i will have pics of my grow that is going on now later today but wated to see what you think. I have just one gen hydro waterfarm. 150 watt hps all in a 4 foot mylar coated growing space. i just started this all less than two weeks ago. i am gong to put on of the two plants i have going now into my hydro system tomorrow i just cant decide wich one to choose. Opean to ANY suggestions this is my first grow. I am hoping to have many more in a bigger and better grow space so any help is greatly appreciated. and the plants i have are just a couple of inches tall, and the seeds were from a local dealer who i am friends with who found them in his last QP.

Welcome to MP.....if I hve read your post correctly you are growing in a 4 sqr foot space? If so you will need more light then just a 150w HPS. Also sounds like you are growing bag seed so you will need to be vigilant in watching for possible hermaphrodites.

I wld read through as much info on here as you can...start with the grow resources thread>>>http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9396

So you have a drug dealer that knows you are growing? The first number one rule of growing is that you tell no one and that you make your space stealth enough so that no one knows. What do you suppose that drug dealer "friend" mighty give up to LEO to get out of trouble if he is busted?

That's a fair warning there by the Goddess, mason. It was my first concern as well. The only one who knows about my grow space, who knows me personally or where I hail from, is a buddy of mine of whom I have been longstanding friends with for nearly 15 years, including all of my adult life and most of my teenage years. I could give him $50 million to store and not be worried about him helping himself; our bond goes far and deep. Those are the only kinds of people you tell, if you tell anybody at all; most here will warn you not to tell a soul, even your best friend. There are growers here who haven't told anyone except their spouse, for obvious reasons.

*triple hit from smileyface*

That being said, I'd like to reinforce Hamster's post that 150w isn't going to be enough. A 150W HPS bulb gives off about 15000 lumens. Divide that by your 4 squared feet, and you're getting 3750 lumens for every square foot. I'd say this light should suffice through your vegging period, but your flowering period is going to be terrible, and your yield is going to suffer. Marijuana, in seedling and clone stage, require about 400-500 lumens per square foot. And when they are vegging, they need about 2,500 lumens per square foot. That's not much and your light is adequate for both of those, I think. But in the flowering stage, where your bud start to explode, ever square foot of space needs about 10,000 lumens. Your light is very insufficient for this. Even a 250W would be insufficient, I believe. So, with a 400W HPS, in the space you're growing in, you'd do well to install ventilation before switching your lights. You should, technically, already have ventilation in place. I'm just assuming, as a new grower, you don't. It seems to be a common misconception that all you need a light and dirt to grow bud. Trust me, in the last week I've had it pounded into my head, by several well respected members of these forums (respected for their knowledge and willingness to help us noobs out), that ventilation is every bit as important.

Allow me to clarify that I, too, am a novice grower. Or, technically, will be within the next month or so. I haven't even grown a shoot from a bean yet. So take my advice for a grain of salt, if you wish, but most everyone here is going to reiterate the same thing to you.

Ok thank you everyone for your wise words of advise. I wanted to be able to have a more powerful light but for now being in college i dont have to cash to get something a little more powerful. and the dealer doesnt know that i am growing he just knows i wanted a seed. The grow is completly out of sight and behind a few boxes in a closet. But thank you for the concern. That is something that worries me ofter. For my grow space what size light would yoou recomend me try to get because back home i have a friend who will be able to get me anything form the hyrdo stoor he works at for a discount but i live six hours away for school so i only go home ever so often. Any other advise would be soo greatly appreciated. Also i forgot to mention i now have one 8 inch fan and one 10 inch fan in my growing area so thank you getnaqsty. Thanks agian.

i am still trying to get my pics up. having a little trouble with it rigtht now.

For my grow space what size light would yoou recomend me try to get

Depends on the square footage of your grow space.

For vegging one can get away with 3500 lumens/sqft but when it comes to flowering 5000 lumens/sqft is recommended.

The light bulb will tell you the amount of lumens that it emits.
Square Feet of growspace X 3500/5000 = the amount of lumens a grower needs

Latest posts

Back