first time grower

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suuns6500k

Reaction score
I am trying to find out if I can get 65 watt cfls and use a mogul base in a regular socket and if not,can I get sockets with cord for medium screw bulbs like a 65 or more wattage cfl without using a ballast? If not can I just add a bunch of 23 watt or more type bulbs equal up to 65 watts ? I really need some expert advice for a good cheap high lumen/kelvin type of setup without having to buy expensive fixtures with ballasts,this is my setup so far that is still under construction and its set-top with regular bulb sockets,keep in mind I definitely plan on getting more bulbs These are all 15 watt blue and red sspectrum 2700k and 6500k ,I'm thinking if I get slot of 23 watts 26 watts it will be good but idk because it's my first time . Please help😨😱

View attachment 1427077303078-372835257.jpg

View attachment 1427077315979-1967712136.jpg

View attachment 1427077340643-1612817079.jpg

View attachment 14270773618511377841057.jpg

View attachment 14270773781081163050435.jpg

View attachment 1427077429047-323557207.jpg

Ok I'm not a pro. I grew the lady in my avatar from 100w equivalinte CFLs. I have 13 of them at day light rating. As for hanging. I took 2 power bars and hung them upside down. I got 2 way splitters and a socket adapter into an outlet. Plugged them in. Attached both bars by plugging one into the other then into the timer. You aren't dealing with a lot of amps or volts so this is safe. I wouldn't do more than 2 linked. Any Questions please PM. These lights should be only 4 inches away from your plants. Thats when you get creative.

CAUTION CAUTION

The CFLs rated soft white don't work. Flood lights don't work. Compact LEDs don't work. Regular incondesent bulbs do not work.

First off Welcome to MP. You found a site to get your questions answered. Not an expert by any means, but have completed 6 grows, so I know a little. First thing I can tell you is to read a lot and ask questions. OK, I don`t use CFL`s, have used flouro`s to sprout and veg though. 6500k is for vegging and 2700k is for flowering. Wish I could tell you more, but what I say comes from personal experience. I use LED`s from sprout to harvest. Good luck and ask away. Green mojo coming to you.

Actually, CFLs are the most expensive way to go. Lighting is all about the lumens and CFLs put out less lumens per watt than other lighting and it penetrates far less than other lighting. And we always use actual wattages when talking about CFLs as the equivalent wattage is an immaterial number and means nothing for growing. The initial setup can often be more, too. For vegging you want a minimum of 3000 lumens per sq ft and for flowering you want a minimum of 5000 lumens per sq ft. You are also going to want reflectors around those lights. As is, you are loosing a huge percentage of your light up and sideways. So, figure the area you have and the lumens that the CFLs put out. I cannot see how large your space is, but you can figure about 2 23-26W CFLs per sq ft for vegging and 3 per sq ft for flowering. Also, you want a blue spectrum of light for vegging and something in the red range for flowering. So, that is 2 sets of bulbs.

I recomend an LED grow light. theres no ballast and no heat, and the use little power.

if you want to go with what is known to work, get HPS

Latest posts

Back