First timer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazyDays

Reaction score
I have a 48'' flourescent setup with two "sunlight" bulbs (in my closet). They are 40 W and the lumens output on the box says 2250. Are these light sufficient for my six babies to grow big? Six now but i plan on only budding the strongest two or so. Thank you in advance for the advice.

LazyDays said:
I have a 48'' flourescent setup with two "sunlight" bulbs (in my closet). They are 40 W and the lumens output on the box says 2250. Are these light sufficient for my six babies to grow big? Six now but i plan on only budding the strongest two or so. Thank you in advance for the advice.
Hey LD, good to meetcha man.

Well, for a good grow, you need at least 3,000 lumens per/sq.ft.

Measure the grow area and multiply one side of the square by the other and you'll have how many square feet your grow area is. You'll need a minimum of one square foot of area per/plant. If you have 6 plants that you want to grow BIG, then you should plan on more area. Whatever sq ft area you have, you'll need at least 3,000 lumens of light for each square foot of it.

This is for the vegging cycle only.

You'll need some HPS lights for your flowering. The same amount of lumens is needed for a minimum. MJ can use up to 6,000 lumens per/sq ft.

My area is 3.5 x 5.5 feet and I use two 430 watt HPS for a 6,028 lumen per/sq ft coverage.

Keep asking questions man. Lots of people here have already been down the same path. You'll have lots of help here.

Good luck to you man.

Stoney Bud is right on, as always. How big is your growing area, and where exactly, in relation to the plants, do you have your lights? How close to the plants are the lights?

Thanks again guys for the help. My grow area (closet) is about 31" by 60'' with the plants only in a 1.5' by 4' area. I just added another two 48" flourescent lights putting out about 3200 lumens. I have one positioned about 2" to 3" form the tops of the plants, and the other one on the side of the plants about 10" away. You think this will suffice?

The plants are about 5"-6" tall, and are in 6" pots. Is it time to transplant or is there still plenty of room to grow in these pots?

Since it was my first time I decided to start with bagseed. Is this going to prolong the growing process?

Tube flourescents need to be close...really close, within 4 inches for the plant to benefit from the light. 10" away, you're just burning electricity without recieving the benefit.
Ventilation/circulation is important. What do you have going on there?..
Bagseed is an excellent choice for your first attempt. Though somewhat a genetic crapshoot, it shouldn't prolong the process.

I have my door to the closet open almost all the time with a fan i bought at walmart blowing on them. I dont see temp being an issue, it never really gets very hot in there. I just cant notice any real growth, especially in the vertical direction. I could just be over excited :p and hope for too much.

Thank you and i will find a way to put the other two tubes within 2-4 inches away

Anyone know about how big they will be able to grow in a six inch pot?

ive seen em root bound in pics at about 1to 1 1/2 feet my roots were pushing against the pot at three weeks and 7 inches tall

You will outgrow your little pot in short order. I took clones from my plant, in jiffy pots, and after I could see some roots coming through, I planted them in 2 gallon pots. Two weeks later and the roots were coming out the holes in the bottom of those pots! After your plants are about 10" I would suggest putting them in at least a 5 gallon container.

Latest posts

Back