first try - any suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spook313

Reaction score
i'm growing 12 plants in my closet at the moment, but will be moving them into a bigger room later on. i've got them under 3 fluorescent grow lights and am watering them regularly. they all seem healthy, but i'm looking for someone with experience's suggestions.

here's what i've got...

http://photobucket.com/albums/v181/kefi23/?action=view&current=IMG_1801.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v181/kefi23/?action=view&current=IMG_1799.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v181/kefi23/?action=view&current=IMG_1798.jpg

other than my budget, i only have one problem with growing these. my closet has been infested with fruit flies. i've been researching these flies online, and it seems like they are nesting in my soil. because of this, i cannot kill them.

if you've got any suggestions/ideas, please let me know.

let 'em dry out. Those flies thrive in moist conditions. A half inch layer of playground sand on top of your soil, will help control them, too. Dianeciuos(sp) Earth is great for ridding of soil dwelling pests.

"let them dry out"? do you mean not water them? if so, how long can the plants go without water?

thanks for the reply.

Let them get "dry", (drooping) then fully drench the medium. MJ doesn't like "wet feet".

While the pots are "dry" pick them up, feel the weight. Should be relatively light. After drenchiing the medium, lift them again. Notice the weight difference.
Soon you will be adept at picking up a pot, and automativly knowing if it needs water.

Not trying to be a know-it-all, but it's diatomaceous
(di·a·to·ma·ceous) earth.
Just testing out my new taskbar dictionary.

Also, if you want to kill the adults, just go to all mart and buy some of those fly strips and hang them on the ceiling. It will kill a lot of the adults and it should limit their breeding.

GanjaGuru said:
Not trying to be a know-it-all, but it's diatomaceous
(di·a·to·ma·ceous) earth.
Just testing out my new taskbar dictionary.

I have to go get the bag everytime, "IF" I want it spelled correctly.Duno' why it is...too many vowels maybe??

"I'll buy "A", Pat"...

Hick said:
I have to go get the bag everytime, "IF" I want it spelled correctly.Duno' why it is...too many vowels maybe??

"I'll buy "A", Pat"...

Hey Hick, it's "I'll buy <an> "A", Pat"

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahaha

Edit: It's "**** with Hick Night"

Hick, duck man. No, the other way man......

spook313 said:
i'm growing 12 plants in my closet at the moment, other than my budget, i only have one problem with growing these. my closet has been infested with fruit flies. i've been researching these flies online, and it seems like they are nesting in my soil. because of this, i cannot kill them.

if you've got any suggestions/ideas, please let me know.
Yes my friend, you can kill them. Take the entire thing outside and right after taking as many cutting's as possible from them, throw the rest in a dumpster.

Wash the cuttings in a mild dishsoap mix, about 1 drop in a quart of water, and wrap them in a wet paper towel while you fumigate your place.

Now, you're rid of the pests. Put those cuttings into a dark, rooting solution and let em root. Now you've got a bunch of the suckers and no flies.

Good luck man, let us know how it goes.

Hick said:
[...] A half inch layer of playground sand on top of your soil [...]
okay, i've put sand on top of the soil. i'll let you know how that works out.

El Diablo Verde said:
[...] kill the adults, just go to all mart and buy some of those fly strips [...]
i was going to do that, but my mom said "why spend the money". instead i've made homemade "fly traps" (buckets covered with saran wrap with fruit juice and bananas in them).

Stoney Bud said:
[...] taking as many cutting's as possible from them, throw the rest in a dumpster.
i was worried someone would say that. it's what i'm going to do if nothing else works.

Stoney Bud said:
Put those cuttings into a dark, rooting solution and let em root.
i don't know much about cloning plants, but isn't rooting solution basically water with fert. in it? if so, can i put the cuttings in my own mix of fert./water?

spook313 said:
i don't know much about cloning plants, but isn't rooting solution basically water with fert. in it? if so, can i put the cuttings in my own mix of fert./water?

It also has a hormone in it. (want to ask how to make a ***** moan. hahahaha)
but seriously. You can root a clone in water too, but the hormone in like olivia's rooting gel, rootone, Dyna-gro rooting, etc. solution makes this process easier.

Rootone you can get at wal-mart in my area for 4 bucks. That link in my sig. Hick uses Rootone. It has enough to clone quite a bit.

spook313 said:
i was going to do that, but my mom said "why spend the money". instead i've made homemade "fly traps" (buckets covered with saran wrap with fruit juice and bananas in them).
Dude, the fly traps aren't even 2 dollars and if you put a bucket full of rotting fruit in your grow room, you'll have a hell of a lot more pests in there. If anything, just don't put out a bucket of bananas and fruit juice? BAD IDEA

spook..an 'el naturel substitute would be willow water.

**** Cheney shot a guy! Does this make anyone else laugh they're ass off?
..at least he was hunting..
00000003.gif

El Diablo Verde said:
Besides, the fly strips are cheaper than bananas and fruit juice anyways.
okay, i suppose i can get some of those then.

Hick said:
spook..an 'el naturel substitute would be willow water.
i'll just go with the $4 solution. thank you anyway though.

Fly "strips":

Fly "paper"--those sticky twisty hanging-down things are great.
However, those "no-pest strips" and very very bad.
They are like bars of toxic-to-people insecticide encased in a cardboard hanger deal.
They constantly release insecticide.
They are banned in most countries and places where they are allowed they are banned anywhere where people spend much time (like living rooms or bedrooms) or places where food is prepared.
Having those "no-pest strips" in a grow room constantly dousing your buds with poison means you're raising toxic buds.

Those plants are green and all, but they don't look healthy. Mine clearly aren't healthy, but dude, those are the thinest plants i've ever seen. I've never grown in soil, but clone those and get them under a 400 HPS at least. I bet you'll get an ounce at best with that setup, once they fall over. I don't mean to be negative, but they aren't doing well unless you're going to grow those until they look like Jacks Bean Stalk.

Never put a bucket of fruit in with your plants! You may as well put dog shit or a dead rat in there.

Clone them and start over.

The attached pictures are my last crop at 2 weeks before harvest. That's 4 plants.. See how full that is. Your 10 plants are looking pretty slender.

DSC_0604.jpg

MUSTS:
-Transplant to bigger containers, 2 gal. at least.
-Install more light. Rule of thumb is 6000+ lumens per sq/ft of growing space. Lumen output is usually printed on the bulb.
-Stick an oscillating fan in there to strengthen the stems.
-Install some sort of ventilation.

Latest posts

Back