flooding--help needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohninWI

Reaction score
Well, I came home after work on Friday, and my basement had over 2' of water in it! Appliances, computer, water heater all gone... My plants were submerged, but fortunatley I had the ballast and electrical gear up high.

Anyway, I need to know if I handled it right. I moved them upstairs to dry out.

The only light I could put on them was an incandecent. I KNOW it's not even close enough, but my question is, is a 100W incandescent enough to trigger the photocycle in the plants? They were under it on a 12/12 for a couple days while I pumped out my basement.

The plants didn't seem to suffer--no wilting or anything, and I think they are going to be ok. But is there any emergency first aid I need to do? They are in 1gallon soil bags with soil and pearlite. I had just put them on 12-12 to induce flowering a few days prior.

Also, what if the photocycle is screwed up? If I stick to my guns and keep them under 12-12 HPS, the hormones ought to figure themselves out, right?

Thanks guys. What a nightmare the weekend was. But it looks like the weather has calmed down for a while.

Sorry to hear,
Sounds like a disaster took place, thankfully you were able to save your plants. Theres nothing more gut wrenching than loosing your prized female plants, i just lost my outdoor crop unfortunatley and it really hurts man. You should be fine with the plants, sounds like you did the right thing. As long as you kept the photoperiod the same you souldnt have caused any stress. As far as being over waterd your just going to have to let them dry out for a few days, as long as overwatering isnt a commin practice this wont harm them. Keep us posted on what happens, peace and love!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roken.

yeah, plants are pretty resilient when it comes to oversaturation of the surrounding soil. As long as the roots of the plant were not permently damaged, you should be ok. I wouldnt worry too much about the light issue either. some light is better than no light.

also, since you induced flowering only a few days prior, the soft orange light of the incadescents could only help the girls along. I'd say just check on them every 12 hours and see how they are for the next few days. After that, you should be in the clear! sorry to hear about your troubles! i know exactly how it is to have a flooded basement (especially since it was my own room!)

thanks guys. I did add a good amount of pearlite and sand to my soil, and I think that helped to drain away the water. I have 2 dehumidifiers to get the moisture out of the area before mold sets in.

I'm just glad I didn't fry any electrics or myself. What a kick in the gut--to come home and find your things in ruins. Anyway, gotta get up and dust myself off. Today is a new day.

hey,at least it was only in your basement and your house wasnt floatin away.after you get em a lil dryed out,i'd suggest a good flush.never know what coulda been in that water.i think your gonna want a better light though..dont want em hermin on ya due to stress.

Latest posts

Back