Florida growing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoradoLady

Reaction score
Long time outdoor grower at 6000 feet in Montana and Colorado. Now in southern Florida. Can you grow outside here? How bad is the rain and humidity on our plants? Seems bud rot will be a big problem here. Any recommendations? Thanks

Lots here from Florida and growing. Boo is one of them. Hopefully he will see this....if not reach out to him. I am still in Colo freezing my azz off. I am sitting at 6,000 myself.

Lots here from Florida and growing. Boo is one of them. Hopefully he will see this....if not reach out to him. I am still in Colo freezing my azz off. I am sitting at 6,000 myself.
I am not here by choice. Last place I thought I'd spend my golden years. Husband has dementia and needs more care from family than I can give. Miss the forests and mountains more than air. Thanks for answering.

If you want to grow medical marijuana in Florida, a grower’s license is a must. First, you need to understand the current legal landscape regarding medical marijuana. Unlike other areas of law, the only constant in Florida’s medical marijuana industry has been change. There is a license provided by the Florida government named MMTC. It can be used in to grow, process, market, and sell the drug itself.

If you want to grow medical marijuana in Florida, a grower’s license is a must. First, you need to understand the current legal landscape regarding medical marijuana. Unlike other areas of law, the only constant in Florida’s medical marijuana industry has been change. There is a license provided by the Florida government named MMTC. It can be used in to grow, process, market, and sell the drug itself.
Unless you are aware of some law hidden in the cracks of the law books that I am unaware of, growing in Florida is extremely prohibited for individuals and small time consumers. I believe the penalty for cultivation is 20 years. If there is an exception to that law I would certainly enjoy a conversation regarding that… As for growing outdoors in Florida, many people do it but the struggle to fight mold and bud rot is an ongoing chore. Our humidity hovers at 85% for most of the year except for the coming winter when she drops down to 50%.

In Massachusetts, where recreational cannabis is legal, an individual can have 6 plants. A household can have up to 12. There are a number of rules about securing any grow, inside or outside, that I don’t think have been enforced but likely could be used in the future to tamp out peoples ability to grow for personal use. To make cannabis cultivation into a business, due to excessive regulations and high cost, ‘mom and pop’ growers were priced out from the get-go. I looked into it when legalization was proposed and it would have bankrupted me very quickly. It took about 2 years from the time cannabis was legalized to the point when these businesses were allowed to open. So even if you dumped a butt-load of money into the enterprise, it was about 2 before any revenue could be generated. So big conglomerates with big money backing are the only commercial grow operations in the state. Recreational bud, extracts and edibles are all expensive due to costs associated with start-up, production and fees as well as state and local taxes. I have bought legal weed once since dispensaries were opened and spent $80 on an eighth ounce and a pre-roll. Yep. I did that. Never again. The bud was ok but not worth it or even as good as I grow. My gut tells me many of the commercial growers who had visions of making money hand over fist have had those visions dashed. Competition is everywhere. I don’t even live in a city and there are probably a dozen dispensaries within a 5 minute drive from me. At first, there were lines out the door and traffic problems caused by newly opened dispensaries but now parking lots have just a few cars in them. The buying frenzy ended within a month. A friend who designed a commercial grow operation from concept thru construction and on to production has actually dropped out of the business. The ‘shiny new toy’ of growing turned into a fruitless grind. It turned out the investors were looking for a tax shelter(and likely envisioned selling the operation at a profit). So I guess I am happy I can grow legally but I haven’t really changed anything n my routine. I hope the federal government does something to make personal cultivation legal nationwide but I don’t see that happening anytime soon. There is just too much lobbying money against legalization(from the pharmaceutical to tobacco to alcohol industries, they are against national legalization). The government, in short, could screw up a wet dream…

Unless you are aware of some law hidden in the cracks of the law books that I am unaware of, growing in Florida is extremely prohibited for individuals and small time consumers. I believe the penalty for cultivation is 20 years. If there is an exception to that law I would certainly enjoy a conversation regarding that… As for growing outdoors in Florida, many people do it but the struggle to fight mold and bud rot is an ongoing chore. Our humidity hovers at 85% for most of the year except for the coming winter when she drops down to 50%.
Joe Redner can grow his own in Florida.

Last edited:
Long time outdoor grower at 6000 feet in Montana and Colorado. Now in southern Florida. Can you grow outside here? How bad is the rain and humidity on our plants? Seems bud rot will be a big problem here. Any recommendations? Thanks
NEVER look to South Floriduh -- specifically Unca Walt Hisself to give any advice at all.
I can give an example: Somewhere back in the Bud Of The Month thingy, you will see a picture of a pencil-lead thin stalk holding 3-4 small, dying leaves. The stalk (wilting) was only 8" high.

It was the epitome, the apex, the very best plant I have grown in 40+ years of trying.

Nevertheless, the Creatures Of The Night ate the whole thing including the roots.

Latest posts

Back