Flower’s Grow.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question #2- I have raised bred and trained hunting dogs all my life, so it is inevitable that sooner or later I am gonna try to make some seeds.
I am in no hurry to start, but my gears are starting to grind a little with the thought of it.

What “pure” strain of mj would YOU start with as your “base” if you were going to start breeding tomorrow?

Question #2- I have raised bred and trained hunting dogs all my life, so it is inevitable that sooner or later I am gonna try to make some seeds.
I am in no hurry to start, but my gears are starting to grind a little with the thought of it.

What “pure” strain of mj would YOU start with as your “base” if you were going to start breeding tomorrow?
Read up on Seed Genetics and breeding 1st
Do not just be a Pollen Chucker

1646486027227.png

Read up on Seed Genetics and breeding 1st
Do not just be a Pollen Chucker
I have been, that’s why I ask now, before I chuck pollen at something 3 or 4 years down the road.
I wonder how many strains are out there that are really “pure”, and not something that was back crossed a bunch in an attempt to re-establish a lost strain.
I have done enough reading on the subject to know that inbreeding, outcrossing, and line breeding ( which most on here refer to as back crossing) tactics I use on hounds should also apply to plants.
I understand how dominant and recessive genes work. I also understand that inbreeding does not create problems, it exposes what is already there.
I know how to breed for traits, and I know how to breed traits out of a line with proper use of inbreeding and line breeding. I assure you, much thought will go into anything I may breed.

I've got a few stray seeds here and there from weed and grew it out with no problems but never bred nothing.
I'll pull a chair and watch when you get started.

So today, I went through all the cuttings I have been trying to clone. I actually found 2 LSD’s and 2 Blueberry Kush's that had developed roots. I repotted them and stuck them back in the humidity dome. If I can just get 2 of each to make it I will be more than happy.

Not much to report right now. Everything is just kind of on cruise control at the moment.
As of late, I have been doing much reading on lighting. And ventilation. And carbon filters. And wherever else that wormhole leads me.
At the moment I am planning to go with a 600w Hps, and cfl’s for fill here and there for 12/12. I also plan to switch to HO T5’s for veg.
I am currently running cfl’s on everything. They are ok, but they are too hot to be able to move as close to the plants as I want to in veg, and they don’t produce enough yield in flower.

Speaking of lighting, let’s say for the sake of argument that you had a grow room in your basement. If all the heat from the lights was vented to the main floor above ( carbon filter), would it offset your heating bill any in the winter?

It may lower things a little bit but you mentioned you are planning kicking in a 600w Hps above. It would probably turn out closer to an even trade depending on how well your abode is insulated.

I have been, that’s why I ask now, before I chuck pollen at something 3 or 4 years down the road.
I wonder how many strains are out there that are really “pure”, and not something that was back crossed a bunch in an attempt to re-establish a lost strain.
I have done enough reading on the subject to know that inbreeding, outcrossing, and line breeding ( which most on here refer to as back crossing) tactics I use on hounds should also apply to plants.
I understand how dominant and recessive genes work. I also understand that inbreeding does not create problems, it exposes what is already there.
I know how to breed for traits, and I know how to breed traits out of a line with proper use of inbreeding and line breeding. I assure you, much thought will go into anything I may breed.
Look for old landrace strains from specialty breeders. Others to have might be the basics, OGKush, Hindu Kush, Northern Lights, etc.

Bubba

It may lower things a little bit but you mentioned you are planning kicking in a 600w Hps above. It would probably turn out closer to an even trade depending on how well your abode is insulated.
To be honest, I have an outside wood stove, so heat is already cheap anyway. I figure that if I exhaust the heat from the lights into the main living area that by stove blower won’t kick on as much. I am definitely not planning to heat the whole house solely from the heat produced by the lights. Just hoping for an even trade as you mentioned above.

Look for old landrace strains from specialty breeders. Others to have might be the basics, OGKush, Hindu Kush, Northern Lights, etc.

Bubba
Thank you for the suggestions. I have been researching landrace strains because I felt that was the direction I was going to end up going. Northern lights was on my radar as well.

Ventilation question.

If smell is not a concern, would you rather…..

Have a sealed hood and have separate ventilation for the lights and flower room?

Have an unsealed hood and ventilate both at once?

Which one makes it easier to control room temperature?

View attachment 289486View attachment 289487View attachment 289488

Two Jack Herer seeds and a lemon auto were repotted last night after I got home and found they had sprouted.
I am doing my best to watch humidity and temperatures in the bloom bloom room where the Blueberry Kush and LSD currently reside.

I also have a sour diesel clone that was gifted to me and will put a picture of it on later.

I decided to start this grow journal with the intention of giving other, more experienced growers, a chance to weigh in and offer advice, and/or constructive criticism.
I figure this will also give me a place to ask questions without cluttering up the rest of the forum.

Please note, I have spent several hours perusing through the information on here, and use the search function religiously.
I have had several questions come to mind that I have not found answers to yet.
So with that being said, on to my first question.

Seems to me that an MJ could be planted in a large pot with an opportunity to leave the soil a few inches below the top of the pot.
We will say for the sake of argument, 4 inches.
Once the bottom of the plant has been pruned up and made pretty, the pot could be filled the rest of the way up and the plant could then grow more roots from the newly buried stalk to better feed the above ground portion.
Kind of like hilling taters.
Am I wrong in my thinking?

As a fellow soil grower I do the same thing. I plant my seeds and let them germinate in the pot the plant will grow in for its entire life and add fresh soil over time while the original soil compacts from watering. Sounds similar to what you are doing but I kinda just wing it 😆

As a fellow soil grower I do the same thing. I plant my seeds and let them germinate in the pot the plant will grow in for its entire life and add fresh soil over time while the original soil compacts from watering. Sounds similar to what you are doing but I kinda just wing it 😆
I started the seeds in a jiffy peat pellet, which then went inside of a pint peat pot.
The pint peat pot will soon be planted inside of a 1 gallon cardboard tube, which will then be planted in either the ground, or 5+ gallon plastic pot. The 4 new seedlings will be going into tubes soon. I will be sure to include pictures when I do. I have a feeling many on here will find it interesting.

I started the seeds in a jiffy peat pellet, which then went inside of a pint peat pot.
The pint peat pot will soon be planted inside of a 1 gallon cardboard tube, which will then be planted in either the ground, or 5+ gallon plastic pot. The 4 new seedlings will be going into tubes soon. I will be sure to include pictures when I do. I have a feeling many on here will find it interesting.
I did four transplants in my last grow with great success. I plan to do the same for my spring grow. To me it is easier to judge the amount of water and feed in the appropriate pot for the size plant. My little seedlings for spring just got planted in the second pots living under a plant light to veg out till next transplant. I usually bury them a bit deeper each time to shorten the underside to accommodate any stretch or to get the room I want at the end under the plants. The bottom stem does not mind being covered in a bit more soil. I used the peat starter my first grow but went with the root riot starters this time. I found that the root riot was much cleaner with less gnats than the peat starters although i lost one of my girls when her seed pod got stuck on the much sturdier root riot clump and broke her little head off. I still like the root riot starters better as they root much better and are much cleaner. GMO has good info on them in his current grow. I will make sure next time my seeds a able to get out of the plug.

As you can see in the picture, I have 6” diameter cardboard tubes. I will cut them to 12” lengths later with a hacksaw.
l then lay a piece of filter material over the end of the tube before inserting the end cap.
Once cut to 12” lengths, I will plant one of the seedlings in it peat pot and all. Later, when the plants have outgrown their tube, they will be planted in their final home, tube and all, after I pop the cap and filter material out of the end.
E7268460-4124-4CC6-A659-AC54335E38EA.jpeg
73170C77-9848-4E19-A5CB-5CDBB561B390.jpeg
BA232440-6106-496E-8AB1-28FB34AAAC8F.jpeg
2C544CE2-AE63-4ABB-B356-BBAA0C6C636C.jpeg
50AA110E-EE08-445E-9F0F-E3920C7BF067.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back