Flowering tips needed please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nucy

Reaction score
Hi I'm in the middle of my second grow... first succesful to make it this far though. It's one plant of Arjan's #9 Haze, and i was wondering if you guys had any tips for me... It looks a little thin towards the bottom but looks great up top, should i trim some fan leaves to allow more light onto the nodes?

Thanks in advance for all the help er'body

nucy1.jpg

nucy2.jpg

If you cld post up a cpl pics of your plant that wld help alot. If you are talking about the very bottom of the plant yes those will tend to get nasty looking. I like to trim the lower 1/4 about a week before i flip my ladies...It helps with airflow down low and it seems to help concentrate the plants energy to the better bud sites higher up. Or I cld be imagining it. :) I wldn't trim anything once I get to flower. jmo

Hey Nucy, it looks like bad light penetration for sure, if you trimmed leaves it would allow more light, but depending on how far into flower you are it might be a better idea to just let the big stuff get bigger and the lower stuff wither, or be trimmed off, growth that far down and under that much foliage rarely grows to a decent size, usually the buds are more trouble than they are worth, most people like to trim the bottom branches all up pre-flower so that you get a even canopy on your lady, and dont have to worry about airy undergrowth.

Don't trim your fan leaves. Just pull the dead stuff out. It looks like normal to me for the low light it is in. The second pic looks nice. green and flowery mojo to you.

If you are having a problem getting light to the bottom of that plant then you either don't have enough light or you have the plant in an open area where the light is dispersing too much. What kind of grow area are you using? what kind and number of lights are you using?

She really looks good for her size and for your second grow, congrats :) After harvesting this one you will be ready to step up to some more volume if you want. But you will need to step up on the grow space as well ;)

Those are the popcorn branches....those usually look pretty ugly by the time you are done. How big a space and what type of light are you using? I don't see why you wld hve a problem getting penetration. It's not like you hve a ton of leaves on that plant.

Looks like your half way into flower. By looking at that I would hack off the bottom 6-8 lower branches.
I'm guessing if you kept them they would only add up to a couple grams. Take em off and your sure to boost your tops far more than that.
How many plants per light? And what kinda light?

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/Site_Rules.html
7. Please post all of your pictures on this site. Linking to other sites has inherent risks involved that should be kept to a minimum if at all possible. We have both a Gallery and the ability to post as many as 3 pictures with each post you make. Please post your pictures here, instead of linking to them. Also we discovered that quite a number pictures hosted on other sites gets deleted after some time making the threads worthless on our forums.

DO NOT CUT ANYTHING OFF. IMO, you do not have enough fan leaves or branches to lose any of either. What is your lighting in how much space--I suspect that you are under lit and under ventilated.

The Hemp Goddess said:
DO NOT CUT ANYTHING OFF. IMO, you do not have enough fan leaves or branches to lose any of either.

exactly

Listen to THG, she's spot on as usual! Cutting branches now means trouble, the plant will divert energy to heal and this will slow the budding process. Cutting leaves of any size is not a good idea EVER! Your leaves are the "engine" to this plant, all photosynthesis occurs in the leaves. Less leaves means less growth.

I'm also with THG and others who think you're way underlit and/or underventilated...please post room size as well as lights for better info!

I'm assuming you have more than just this one plant. If you dought me than only prune back one of your plants so you can see how much you gain by pruning. Your asking for budding tips and I'm giving it to you. Doesn't look like anyone else here is doing that.
Just to let you know I prune off the lower half to 2/3 of my plant and all I harvest is thick well defined top quality nugs.
Leaving the lowers will decreas your yield. I know Some growers that leave only the top quarter and are still producing well over 2 lb / K watt light.

Cutting the lowers NOW is a mistake, but to each their own... If you wish to "lollipop", you can do so as Hammy suggested, a week or so before flipping!

Roddy said:
Cutting branches now means trouble, the plant will divert energy to heal and this will slow the budding process.
This is falls. Pruning lowers sends the plants hormones to the tops for increased growth. Vise-versa when you pinch or prune the tops it sends hormones to your bottoms stimulating them to grow. The only thing I agree with from some of these other posts is when you are pruning more than 1/3 of your plant at once you may induce shock on the plant. But this will only stunt it for a day or 2.
The lower spindly 6-8 branches only looks like maybe 10% of your plant. So no problems.

See you've got hardwood floors, hope your protecting them, I've really abused a couple rentals way back in the day!! anyway to put it simple, the leaves are little factories that supply the available nutrients to the plant for growth, cut them off and the yield decreases, bud size diminishes, good luck to you, that #9 haze looks knockout!!

We'll agree to disagree then, but that plant is more than halfway through budding by the looks of it, it would seem way too late to do this IMHO

As I said before, "lollipopping" is a good idea when done at the proper time. Doing something now as experiment seems silly to me at best. You say it'll send the hormones up to the buds...yep, AFTER it heals itself, and I don't think this is only gonna take a few days...I could be mistaken, but I'd not play around to find out, especially if it's my only plant! And besides, that plant is lacking leaves bigtime, cutting branches with leaves is slowing growth even more than just to heal.

Wow thanks for all the help. As for my setup it a 2x2 foot space surrounded in mylar 150 watt lamp maybe 8 inches above the canopy and a constant flow of fresh cool air. I pulled it out for the pictures because the light screws with the shutter speed of my camera. I cut a clone some time ago, but i dont want to make this a practice plant. Maybe after a good harvest i will start to try other things.

trichnut said:
This is falls. Pruning lowers sends the plants hormones to the tops for increased growth. Vise-versa when you pinch or prune the tops it sends hormones to your bottoms stimulating them to grow. The only thing I agree with from some of these other posts is when you are pruning more than 1/3 of your plant at once you may induce shock on the plant. But this will only stunt it for a day or 2.
The lower spindly 6-8 branches only looks like maybe 10% of your plant. So no problems.

We all understand pruning pinching, lollipopping, etc, etc, etc. However, it is too far into flowering to be doing any of these things now. And IMO, the plant is too small and weak to put it under undo stress that it does not need now. Had this been done at the end of veg or beginning of flowering, it would be different.

I'm giving proven advise. i practice what u preach and have been doing so 4-5 times a year for the last 5+ years.
I'm not out to sabatoge your grow.

Latest posts

Back