Flushing plants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank You Beekeeper. Glad somebody liked it and understood it.😁

The only time I've done a flush that was needed was in the beginning when i over fed my plants and i wanted to fix the problem. And it did,,and i stopped over feeding.
Other then that only once in a side by side before harvest i flushed and didn't feed anymore to see what difference it made. Absolutely fking nothing changed except me starving my plant, so i actually did some reading on the biology of plants and decided to never do it again because it goes against the science of the plant.
But again,,to each his own. If it makes you feel better,,by all means flush away.

That is probably what I am going to do since the soil has only been grown in once.
Sharon are you feeding salt nutes or organic

I agree to no flush if organic soil grown, I also use a flushing agent on heavy salt feed soil plants
week before last week , so when my nute feed plants are 2 weeks from finish I do a flush with agent and last week water only. (or water with blk strap Molasses )

The only time I've done a flush that was needed was in the beginning when i over fed my plants and i wanted to fix the problem. And it did,,and i stopped over feeding.
Other then that only once in a side by side before harvest i flushed and didn't feed anymore to see what difference it made. Absolutely fking nothing changed except me starving my plant, so i actually did some reading on the biology of plants and decided to never do it again because it goes against the science of the plant.
But again,,to each his own. If it makes you feel better,,by all means flush away.
Hops
Are you organic or salt feed?

I have only flushed one time myself because I thought one of my plants had to much nitrogen in the soil I used. They are really healthy right now and still might have another three weeks or so. I have one plant that matured sooner. She might only have two weeks.

I believe that it depends on the system and the medium. I grow in flood and drain growrock medium, and I cannot flush with plain water because they deteriorate so fast it makes me feel as if I am damaging them more than I should. I do however wash the root system with water every month more or less, but I just wash then flood with fresh ferts. I find this very useful to remove salt buildup. I lower the ppm substantially the last week but cannot starve them in this system. If I were in soil or coco, it would probably be feasible to flush with zero ferts and rely on the sediments in the medium.

Yes,,flushing helps get salt build up out of your medium but it will not remove chemicals from the plant that is already in its tissues.
( That's exactly why you cant fix a leaf once its damaged.)
I definitely know flushing helps wash or clean your medium. My argument is that flushing cannot and will not remove chemicals from the plant once they are there. Plants don't drain out from the top to the bottom like a straw just because you flush the medium of salts. Wish that were the case. You are what you eat if you catch my drift.
So if you flush and stop feeding,,the only thing that's going to happen is the NEW and EXISTING growth will not get any more build up because you stopped feeding them the chemicals. That is BASIC Plant Biology.
When have you ever seen damaged leaves on a marijuana plant renew themselves because you fixed let's say a Magnesium deficiency? You haven't. Those spots on those leaves don't go away,,the damage has been done.
Whats in those buds are in those buds to stay. Flush and stop feeding and guess what,,you don't add more of what your trying to flush out.😁

Last edited:
I am not arguing with anyone just stating how I have grown in the past and last 2 weeks of my plants flower period. Sorry for any confusing .

Didnt know you were arguing. Wait,,,that would be you arguing with yourself. Sorry 😁

Yeah ya Bastard

I seen you flush
9XMB.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Sharon are you feeding salt nutes or organic

I agree to no flush if organic soil grown, I also use a flushing agent on heavy salt feed soil plants
week before last week , so when my nute feed plants are 2 weeks from finish I do a flush with agent and last week water only. (or water with blk strap Molasses )
I have been using Fox Farm that is suppose to be organic base but it has some salts in it. My soil is suppose to be organic I used more than one kind because I ran out. I have Dr Earths which actually has green stuff from sewer treatments, and Better Home and Garden that is suppose to be organic and Ocean Forest Fox Farm. The plant in the Better Home and Garden soil is doing the best. So, I will probably get more of that next time.

Last edited:
I wanted to thank everyone for their replies. There is a lot of informative information in this thread for me to understand why and how people flush their plants.

On another note. Think about what FF, Ocean Forest, Happy Frog and other similar mediums. Read the ingredients, they all have all kinds of additives in them. Nothing wrong with that and by all means I am not putting them down. But, take Ocean Forest for example, the soil is hot enough to harm new starts. All kinds of beneficial stuff in it but you have to allow for it.

I use Sunshine 4 and nothing really in it except some perlite. My plants get what I intend to give them and nothing else. It does require to add a few more supplements and mixing but I am happy with the results. Sunshine is a soil less medium, basically peat moss and you will always know exactly what your plants are getting. Just a thought......

As a matter of fact I need to run to the grow store and get both Sunshine and a bag of perlite today.

On another note. Think about what FF, Ocean Forest, Happy Frog and other similar mediums. Read the ingredients, they all have all kinds of additives in them. Nothing wrong with that and by all means I am not putting them down. But, take Ocean Forest for example, the soil is hot enough to harm new starts. All kinds of beneficial stuff in it but you have to allow for it.

I use Sunshine 4 and nothing really in it except some perlite. My plants get what I intend to give them and nothing else. It does require to add a few more supplements and mixing but I am happy with the results. Sunshine is a soil less medium, basically peat moss and you will always know exactly what your plants are getting. Just a thought......

As a matter of fact I need to run to the grow store and get both Sunshine and a bag of perlite today.
Pute Yellow or Blue label (professional mix)

I did not like the Ocean Forest. I had to flush that plant because of nitrogen burn. Then I had a potassium deficiency with it also. Next time I will do somethings differently.

Latest posts

Back