Flushing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StonedCold

Reaction score
I know this seems to be a debate over whether to flush or not, especially dependent on soil versus hydro. I have a soil grow nearing the end, and I was curious whether I should flush or not. I am using FoxFarm nutes, which are organic. I've read organic nutes don't need to be flushed, and if you prefer they can be flushed much closer to clipping the plant, such as within 1 week or even 2 days. Other nutes like MG or...drawing blanks here...anyway...:holysheep: :ccc: .... need to be flushed earlier because they have a chemical taste. This brings me back to my original question. Do I flush? When? Debates are welcome....

IMO flushing before a harvest is up to the grower. there is no proved benefit or adverse effect to the plant if you do it or not and IMO if you were to do this in all likeliness your just really causing a nutrient lock out just before you take them out of the ground. in essence all your doing is stopping the plant from taking in any more nutes by force-ably closing up the roots. IMO let it be and just get her started on drying out then chop her down. Ive not done a flush before harvest and grown in MG and there wasn't any strange taste to the buds once dried and cured.

I would suggest that your situation may be exactly what we need to help all of us understand the difference between flushed and unflushed organically grown plants...if you have multiple plants of a single strain.

You could flush one plant, not flush the other and tell us all your results...keep the buds separate throughout the drying and curing process and give us a smoke report on the two...the results would be interesting to all of us...and it would bring all of us closer to a conclusion of this ongoing disagreement...

Peace...j.b.

Outdoors... i don't know if it makes a difference in taste or not... but i know that if you use a lot of miracle grow.. things will not burn quite right...

In hydro however... I know for a fact that Monster Bloom will leave a taste in it... (tastes like it smells basically)
I do not know if flushing remedies this problem. I hope to remember to flush this grow and find out 100% if it makes a difference.

I try to remember everytime but forget... we'll see, I bought i clearing agent this time.

with dirt I give it 2 waters in a row, then harvest.
if I food before harvest there seemed to be a taste and became a little harsher.
I've check the PPM's of the water draining out the bottom of the plant after the second water in a row, it is usually below 400ppm.

Ive read that if you snap off a fan leaf or stem somewhere and taste the juices and it tastes bitter then theres excess foods in there. It should have a clean watery taste. All literature I have leans toward flushing, how you do it is a personal decision but you should do it. I always have, but im hydro so....

well... I don't necessarily "flush" my plants... run water thru till it comes out clean... but I DO feed only water the final 2 weeks. the soil has absorbed and collected all the nutrients you've put into them previously, so only giving straight water won't make no diff, but it wouldn't hurt, but it also might help... saves on the cost of ferts, non-the-less.....

Unfortunately, due to space and other factors... I only have 1. I'm happy with this though since it was a learning experience. I started in hydro, but due to light leakage (in my reservoir), I almost lost everything. Transplanted to soil, and I was able to save a few. The stress yielded only 1 female though. "Better luck next time."

I think I am going to water without nutes the last 2-3 times. And the last water, flush everything and let it dry out. Combining a few ideas hopefully will yield some sticky icky. It either WW or Blue Mystic. In all the chaos of losing plants, I gave up on names and focused on life.

I wouldn't worry about "flushing" the soil at the end... the reason I suggest against this is to minimize stress on the plant. (ie. you don't want to jostle and wiggle the plant around - especially while flowering) just give straight water and u will be rock'n.

Latest posts

Back