Flushing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack150083

Reaction score
First time grower..what's the whole flushing thing about ..is it nessary?

flushing is when you give it plain water for the last 2 weeks of its life (time depends on hydro / soil and what size pot ur using) to get all the left over chemicles from the ferts out of ur soil and plant its very important to do this

Contrary to popular belief, budz420's descrition is entirely correct, but flushsing your plants may not be the best thing for them. Starving plants of nutrients during the last two weeks of flowering can hurt bud production that is supposed to grow the most in the last two weeks.

When I have had plants that were really dark green toward the last few weeks of flowering, using tons of water and no nutrients did not do much for the dark green-ness of the plant. I did notice signs of nutrient deficiencies however, leading me to this conclusion.

A better plan may be to map out nutrient usage and make sure there are less excess nutrients in the soil toward the end of flowering. This way, the plant does not suffer in the final weeks of flower and flavor is not compromised with harsh chemicals.

I hope my babble is coherent.

-greatherb

2 weeks is overkill... 1 week is okay.

I'm going to try the water dure method and do a comparison, then flushing would not even be nec. but will report back with my result.
but the other kind of flush is for nute burn. IMHO.

I agree with KADE. I've done two weeks. but 1 week seemed better. but I didn't do a true comparison.

The reason that flushing is good for you, is that it washes all of the leftover nutes etc. out of the plant. If you give em nutes right up to the end your end product will be harsh from the chemicals left in the plant. I've found that un-flushed plants smoke very harsh.

I usually flush my plants, but do it two days before. The logic I see is that if I do this two weeks in advance I would deprive the plants of nutrients when they are most needed. This would have a negative effect on yield.

I do it two days before the chop in a special way. I let the plants go limp so that they are noticeably starved of water. When this happens, I flush the soil by running water though it and out the bottom for a very long time. I try and get as much of the nutrients out as fast as possible. This way the plants are starving for water and only get to **** up very close to pure water. Sure there will still be some nutrients remaining in the soil, but it will be very small if the flush is done sufficiently and quickly.

It is important to try to run as much water through that soil as possible in a short amount of time because as soon as water hits the soil the plants are going to **** it up almost immediately. I find this has always given me good tasting buds.

The only problem to this method is that you still have chlorophyll in the leaves and this also contributes to a nasty taste. That is why when you give it a 2 week flush you remove not only nutrients from the soil but also the chlorophyll. Nutrients and chlorophyll are not one and the same.

If you can sacrifice a little yield (say 5%) for better tasting weed, the two week leech period is better. If production is of prime concern you can use the 2 day method. Won't taste quite as clean but you won’t have to worry about smoking chemical.

I'm sure there is going to be some that disagree, but I have been doing both methods for years now and they seem to do just as I described. There could be other explanations for the turnout so take it with a grain of salt. But I do believe from experience this to be true.

Let the bashing begin.

TGT

the 2 day thing would work imho... letting them go limp n whatnot... I always do that at least once during a grow actually... increases the root structure looking for water. I just use a week because it gives me time to get other stuff ready w/o needing to check ph and everything a million times b4 the next grow i'm preparing. And i like a steady schedule... my short term memory loss kicks my ass if i dont have one.

haha bashing.... I have never heard of the two step program for flushing, but i do know that when the girls get limp and want water they look very refreshed soon after they get it. So I could see how this would work in theory. Like i said I am not sure what works the best and each person probably has their own opinions and thoughts. No bashing...that's not nice.

-greatherb

What do you mean by "go limp"? What exactly are you guys talking about?

omniconsum3r said:
What do you mean by "go limp"? What exactly are you guys talking about?

Stop watering your plants altogether...
when they run out of water you'll know.. because they will almost look like they are dead... but they are not... a good drink of water and BAM within 20minutes they'll be back into action.

Sorry - just a stoned remark that made no sense what-so-ever, so I thought i'd erase it before anyone seen how retarded I can be at times. Too much BB!

TGT

OKay, i'm going to try this again - Has anyone had any luck with clearing solutions? I find it hard to see how they would work as the plant would only be 'taking' (had to change my word of choice lol) up more chemicals. Anyone have any info on these as I have never tried them and have always wondered if they were effective or not. Thanks in advance.

TGT

I'm using dnf clear this grow, I'll let you know... should be done first or 2nd week in dec

Latest posts

Back