Flushing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevetberry

Reaction score
How many people flush before harvesting? I use GH Flora Kleen and I do it for 2 hours between veg and flowering and then again after 4 weeks of flowering and then I do a final flush for the last 4 days before harvest. Are there any negatives to flushing. I am on my 8th grow and even though I have dealt with algae on this grow it has turned out to be a great one. The reason I ask is that on my last grow I lost some due to bud rot but the humidity was a little to high. This grow my humidity is less than 40%. I read somewhere that flushing can cause bud rot, anybody heard this?

I do not flush before harvesting.

I read somewhere that flushing can cause bud rot, anybody heard this?

First time I have heard of this.

flushin cant cause budrot , only humidity can.

4 days is fine , but anymore then that could be starving your plants.

it is ONLY recommended if you KNOW you have a salt build up in your medium.

soil

I do not flush my plant at all unless there is a real reason like overnuting or salt buildup.

Flush CAN create bud rot. Why ? Very easy ... Most ppl that flush use more water then normal waterings, this will increase RH and since the last two weeks are the ones more critical to rot, bigger RH more chances to rot.

I don't flush either. I use a product for the final two weeks, that has sugars, humic and fulvic acids. This will increase flavour and will help buds to swell. And since RH is a problem in my grow ( need to buy a bigger dehumidifier ) i water only with 2/3 of the normal quantity of water. And i don't have main colas anymore :(

Why ? Very easy ... Most ppl that flush use more water then normal waterings, this will increase RH and since the last two weeks are the ones more critical to rot, bigger RH more chances to rot.

I do not understand this statement:confused2:

No matter how much water a grower uses their growing media is still only capable have holding so much water. The rest would be run off and unless the grower is just letting the run off puddle up on the floor, I just do not see this causing a spike in rH and this added rH causing budrot. Also when I run my DWC which is all water I do not see this rH being enough to raise the humidity high enough to cause budrot. just my $0.02

This is from Mandala site ...

A popular method is to flush soil with large amounts of water towards harvest time. Some growers believe this is necessary to rinse out unsavoury minerals or substances which may otherwise negatively influence the flavour of the crop. Whereas flushing substrates with pure water is conducive, and indeed necessary, in hydroponics - it is quite dangerous when applied to containers filled with soil. Hydroponic substrates are very porous and drain quickly so that a high air-to-water ratio is quickly reestablished. But waterlogged soil requires days if not an entire week to dry. It drowns the root zone, thereby completely depleting it of oxygen. Anaerobic bacteria quickly spread leading to a high risk of fusarium. In the meantime, the plant absorbs a large amount of water until the tissues are bloated with water and begin to „sweat". Within the dense buds the internal humidity rises to extremely high levels, so that when you touch the interior your fingers are moist. All factors combined can trigger bud mold within hours of flushing, after which it spreads throughout the flowering colas. We have regularly observed growers reporting bud mold 1-2 days after rinsing their soil based plants. The correct approach to watering cannabis on soil during the last 2 weeks of flowering is to reduce watering as much as possible without interfering with plant health (ie. avoid thoroughly dried up pots and prolonged periods of droopy leaves on plants). Especially if high humidity persists this is one of the most secure methods to avert bud mold. Always water shortly after lights go on. For outdoor, water before noon time. The top layer of the soil should be dry by the time the dark period starts.

Well I guess I do not agree with Mandala recommendations.

flushing substrates with pure water is conducive, and indeed necessary, in hydroponics

Never have flushed in my DWC and all I have tasted is dank.

But waterlogged soil requires days if not an entire week to dry. It drowns the root zone, thereby completely depleting it of oxygen.

When I water my organic soil grows I do not let it sit in the excess water to get waterlogged. The water drains through the soil to a catch basin where I remove the excess.

The correct approach to watering cannabis on soil during the last 2 weeks of flowering is to reduce watering as much as possible without interfering with plant health (ie. avoid thoroughly dried up pots and prolonged periods of droopy leaves on plants).

I do not like depriving my girls the essentials to live and thrive.

Mandala's got his opinion and I have mine. I think I will stick with mine as I have had great success with it.:)

I think that each case is a case. And if you do things right congrats to you.

But the question is "Can flush create bud rot ?" and the answer is Yes as explained above.

P.S.: haven't seen that this was in hydro section. what i wrote applies to soil.

But the question is "Can flush create bud rot ?" and the answer is Yes as explained above.

I thought that was whole discussion:confused:

I do not agree with the answer.
Because of the above explanations that I have given.
And also...

DWC sits in water which most growers try to get the best uptake they can or at least I hope they do. With your explanation I would surmise that all DWC will get budroot and we know that is not true.

I don't know why i still loose my time ... You are completely right and i'm completely wrong. Sorry for posting. Cu.

bho there is no right or wrong. when it is an opinion? And that is all both of our statements are.

Isn't Mandala a grower just like us before he started selling seeds?

Even in his explanation he states that there are numerous factors that have to occur for budrot to surface during flush. These factors are what is in debate or a grower is doing it wrong. Just doing a proper flush is not gonna cause budrot. You can take my experience with a grain of salt or you can sit there stressing till ya buy a fan:afroweed:
All factors combined can trigger bud mold within hours of flushing,

Here is what prompted this thread. My 7th grow the RH was about 60%(to high) and I had LSTed my plants early and then again later. There were sixty degree bends in the main colas. Four days before harvest I flushed and 2 days later I had bud rot. I cut the first cola that I saw the bud rot in and when I got it in my hand and started to pull it apart a dark brown liquid the same color as my nutes ran out onto my hand. In summary, in my opinion, it was the combination of high RH, the bend in the buds (caused the liquid to pool rather than run down the stem) and the flushing that caused my bud rot. I now have a dehumidifier and I still flushed the 8th grow with no problems.

Latest posts

Back