Foam In The Res

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terky

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question about the foam collecting in my res. I am worried that it may not be good for the plants, bacteria or something.

I mixed my res up a couple days ago. So it should still be good.

I have 4 air stones hooked to one of those big air pumps. Its about the size of a shoebox. There is enough air to churn the water. It looks like a fountain in there so its got to be aerated well .

I don't want to dump a peroxide in there because I want to get it to a healthy environment. Not just nuke everything.

My question is should I get some of the "good" reservoir bacteria stuff they sell at the hydro shop?

If so what kind?

Thanks

Tell us about what nutrients you put in and in what concentrations. I have never found foam in the res to be a good thing.

I use FloraNova series.

Floranova grow to about 600 PPM

Diamond nectar and growalicious to their schedule.

PH 5.5 - 5.6 Normally the PH will drift .5 or .6 up over 24 hours. But today when I checked it it was 7.3! So 1.7 up?

I am not sure of the res temp. Its on a concrete floor and its definitely not warm. If anything I am worried about it being too cold.

The system is a CAP E&G. This is my second run with it and IIRC it was doing that before too. I would put in peroxide once a week or so. When I chopped, the roots in the buckets were really good looking.

Are you using Flora Nova or the GH Flora series. The Flora Nova is not really a "series" of nutes--it has a grow formula and a bloom formula. Each is used by itself. The Flora series consists of growe, micro, and bloom where you use differing ratios of all 3 throughout the grow.

I have had some trouble with Flora Nova bloom and do not use it. I do sometimes use the Flora Nova grow.

How do you mix your nutes? Do you give the nutes time to buffer the solution before pHing?

Fill it, let it bubble for at least 12 hours.

add the nutes, let it mix for a bit, check everything

wait a couple hours, check it again, adjust

check it again, adjust.

I'm with THG. I had problems with floranova on flood tables. I switched to GH3 and no more brown sludge and foam. I now run the CAP E&G with GH3 part. I had some serious air pumping through it just like you, which I believe creates foam all by itself with floranova.

I just finished my 8th grow and I battled algae the entire grow which made my resevoir bubble. Still not 100% sure what my problem was but I had to do the H2O2 thing for most of the grow. While I use the GH 3 part, I was also supplementing with Flora Blend and Floralicious Plus. I quit using both of these for the last few weeks and I think I was seeing improvements but I am not for sure because the roots were already dark brown and a little slimy. Something about mixing chemical nutrients with organic nutrients. The good news is that despite the algae I had a very good harvest, just had to unstop things alot.

OK. Thanks for the input.

I will get some of the 3 part stuff and see if it changes anything.

Thanks

I like to let the nutes sit for 12 hours or so to buffer the water before I pH.

Something about mixing chemical nutrients with organic nutrients

Why would you want to do this? Aren't they defeating the purpose between each other?

Latest posts

Back